cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection with mastitis

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

Re: Connection with mastitis

Yes, me too horrendous mastitis in right breast after birth of second son 30 years ago. Lump found last year in exactly the same area on right breast, bilateral masectomy last sept. Was at increased risk after radiotherapy (for Hodgkins) which incidentally was only a few months after the mastitis, like others I also believe there is a link. 

Highlighted

Hi Caroline, 

not mastitis but a cyst, that was drained at the breast clinic.  Was told at the time that is may fill up again & to come back &I have it drained....well guess what 20 years go by & the cyst was back, got referred to breast clinic to get it drained...ILBC , mastectomy next week.

BC in exactly same place as cyst 😒

Highlighted

Yes had mastitis in left breast when breast feeding - now have cancer in same breast.
Highlighted

Thankful in a horrid way that is a connection and the more people I speak to provide me with "coincidental" link!
I'm about to start a month of radiotherapy and the wonders that brings along. Still, I just keep thinking positive thoughts and keep going as best I can . . .
Highlighted

Yes I agree although I breast fed my two I had mastitis in my right breast . I now have a tumour in the same place.
Highlighted

Thanks for everyone's replies - I'm still convinced that there is a connection between mastitis and the breast cancer.
I've been lucky in that I have kind of had half of one breast removed and now, 5 weeks later it's beginning to sink in a bit and is a very funny shape - I guess I will get used to it. I also guess that a total mastectomy must be far more of an ordeal, so I need to be quiet and get on with life in a thankful way.
I'm on the tamoxifen now and if I keep on gaining weight at this rate, I will weigh 40 stone by the end of the 5 years, now there's a thought. I was given the start date for my radiotherapy today, still 2 weeks' away but I'm fully prepared for it. The hospital staff have been AMAZING, not so sure about the GPs though, I think they are a little out of their depth in some ways. Does anyone have experiences about being returned to the care of the GP after the hospital staff, it's quite a shock, especially as all through this I have had extremely low blood pressure which both my surgeon and oncologist said would be dealt with by the GP and they keep putting it off until "next time you come in" - so frustrating!!!
Highlighted

Hi Caroline, a bit late but only just seen your post. I had terrible mastitis after my first child, also an abscess, and now just had a mastectomy on that side. Have always had trouble with that breast, loads of cysts over the years, and always lumpy and painful. My surgeon said no connection but not convinced. Had my mastectomy yesterday and feeling a bit freakish. Thought I was ok about it but not so much now, don't know why I didn't realize how odd it would look. So found myself on here again, looking for company!
Highlighted

I tried to breast feed with each of my three children and struggled with engirged breasts and mastitis as did my sister. We both got breast cancer. My other sister managed and has not had any tumours.

Highlighted

I had mastitis after the birth of my second son in 1999. I remember exactly where the red area was on my left breast, and its the same place where I first felt my lump in 2010.

I've often thought about it but Ive never read any research into it. I was always convinced my cancer was caused by years on the contraceptive pill.

xx

Highlighted

Hi Caroline, I had mastitis following the birth of my son in 1989. I was told at the time it increased my chances of breast cancer, but I can honestly say I never once worried about it. When I was recalled following my mammogram in November last year I was convinced it would be that breast but it wasn't. So I don't know, it seems for me not to be the case and I am largely attributing mine to stress as work as last year was pretty horrendous. Take care and good luck x x
Highlighted

Connection with mastitis

I had a bad case of mastitis after giving birth to my son just over 30 years ago. Soon after that I read that there maybe some link with breast cancer. The more I read and research, the more I am totally convinced - the exact location of my tumour is the same place where the worst mastitis had occurred. I asked the consultant who carried out my biopsy and a senior breast care nurse and they both said "coincidence". I then asked my surgeon and he went quiet and didn't comment. Please, if anyone has had mastitis in the past and has now been diagnosed with BC, do share your experience and thoughts.