Considering mastectomy on good side

Hi I had a mastectomy in March 07 with immedieate reconstruction using a becker implant. I had another op in september 07 to fix a few things with the implant as it was too high and i had a lot of creases in the skin. The second op provided much better results although it is still not a perfect shape. I keep thinking now about having the other side done for two reasons really - I was 35 when diagnosed with high grade extensive DCIS which resulted in my mastectomy and have two small children 5 years and 17 months. The idea of it coming back in my ‘good’ side is a nightmare and so having a mastectomy on that side would reduce that problem. Also cosmetically I feel really uneven I have one with a boob job and the other although I had it lifted during the first op is a very different shape and I feel very self concious in my clothes still and tend to wear big scarfs around my neck to cover myself up - Great now but not in the summer! Has anyone else had a second mastectomy at a later date for either of these reasons? I am seeing my consultant on monday to talk about it with her. Thanks Debs x

Hi Debbie

I had a mastectomy in 2005 and came out of hospital about a month ago having had a reconstruction on that side and a second preventative mastectomy and reconstruction on the ‘good’ side. My reasons for having this done were the same as you out in your post - essentially that I was keen to reduce the risks of developing a second cancer and also that I fel I would have a better cosmetic result with two implants rather than just one.

Unlike you I managed to have both done in one operation, but just wanted to write and let you know that the ‘good’ side was nowhere near as uncomfortable as the cancer side. Because the surgeon didn’t remove nodes my arm movement was good and I had really very little discomfort. I had what is called a skin sparing mastectomy so the breat looks almost ecactly the same apart from a scar which runs underneath it, but this will fade in time.

My breast tissue was also sent to a lab and examined under micriscope and thankfully everything was fine. To be hoenst as long as you donlt mind the thought of another operation I really cannot see any problem with going ahead with a second mastectomy and recon.

All the best

Hi Debbie

I had right mastectomy last month for aggressive idc. When seeing my bc nurse one day, she commented on my scar and how good it looked and I actually said to her that I wished I had got both sides done as at least it would be even - now and when I get recon. A couple of days after I got my lymph node results which were thankfully negative, but - the pathologist (by something he saw in the cells) thinks I am a carrier of the gene (no family history) - so I am being referred to genetics. If i am a carrier they will strongly recommended preventative mastectomy on left and oopherectomy. Either way, I will be having mastectomy on good side as I like you, cannot stand the thought of it coming back, and cosmetically, it will look better.

It is a huge decision to make, and is certainly one I am surprised at myself making but if it feels right for you then go for it. My bc nurse has already spoken to surgeon about it, and even if I am not a carrier of gene - he said its a very reasonable decision to make.

Let us know how you get on.
Hope this helps
Take care
Fiona
x

HI Thank you so much for your replies it is good to hear other peoples views on this. I had an appointment with my consultant today and she said that she is happy to do the mastectomy on my ‘good’ side and that she fully understood how I felt both about the risk and the appearance. She told me to think about it for as long as I want and then let my bc nurse know if I want to go ahead with the op. A few bits need work on my previous reconstruction (i had only just had my son when diagnosed and so my boobs hadn’t shrunk back to normal size before my op - hence the wrinkles!) so she will work on that one in the same op. I came home and talked it over with my husband and he is happy with what ever decision I make so I definately think I will have it done. I’m not sure what the scarring will be like as I had an uplift in my first op so already have the inverted T scar I think they can go in with the same scars.

Thanks again for your advice and experiences - I’ll let you know what happens.

Debbie x