Constipation continuing after chemo

Hi
I finished 4 EC and 4 docetaxel nearly 5 weeks ago. I also had to have filgrastim injections for a week after each treatment. I always had constipation during that week but after some horrendous incidents, I worked out which laxatives worked. However since my 2nd docetaxel, nothing has gone back to normal. It has now been over a month since my last chemo and my bowels are still all over the place. Every day is trial and error with what I take to help me out and it is killing me. Bowel issues have by far been my worst SE and there are no signs of any improvement. Has anybody else gone thru this? I feel like there is no hope on the horizon and I cry constantly.

Hi Rachelsaid,

I’m sorry to hear what you’re going through and hope that one of our lovely Forum members will be along soon to provide some advice and support. 

In the meantime you may find these threads useful:

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy-monthly-threads/Constipation/m-p/1183223 forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Top-tips-and-practical-support/Constipation/m-p/1124860

All the best,

Helena at Breast Cancer Care

Funny you should mention this. I finished chemo 5 weeks ago and am still having problems. I was usually a bit constipated for about 3 days after chemo, became normal and then about the 6th day I would have many trips to the loo, but nothing to be concerned about. Over the last few weeks I have been having All bran and veggies especially broccoli. It fluctuates between normal and constipation. I assume it will right itself so I’m not really worrying about it. The last chemo took 4 weeks to get over when normally it would take a week. Considering the toxins we have had infused it’s no wonder our system is not right. Drinking lots of water, hi fibre foods and exercise will help a lot. Everything abnormal with my body at the moment I blame on the chemo. I’m sure with time our bodies will right themselves so do your best to not stress about it all as stress has never fixed anything yet. Take it easy,and be kind to yourself. Don’t let cancer rob you of anything.

Hi Blondy
Thanks so much for replying. I will post a proper comment tmrw but just wanted to say thank you x x x