Constipation

Going through chemo but on my list of side effects offered there was no mention of constipation! One little episode has now left me with piles and anal fissure! I take senokot, suppositories and lactulose. The thing is I cannot stand taking the lactulose, it makes me heave and it takes 3 or4  attempts to swallow as it just comes straight back up again. I dread having to take it. Pharmacist said there is no alternative medicine. Surely this cannot be true? Quite happy to take any amount of pills as anyone on chemo will testify. If there is someone out there who has been offered an alternative to lactulose please let me know and save me from this period in the day which I spend all day dreading!!!

Bless you , it sounds awful. Have no suggestions( except dried apricots and liquorice) but sending you a hug. Starting my chemo next week so will make sure I get something sorted! X

Hi futuretwo,

I don’t know if this is appropriate or not for your situation, but movicol is another laxative, it’s more palatable as well, it maybe worth an ask.

ann x

Yes it’s an awful side effect! Incredibly painful.  I found it helped to start taking laxatives on the morning of chemo before I had the infusion so it was already in my system.  You could even start the night before. I used docusate sodium (cheap as chips in Boots). Being very well hydrated is also key, plus plenty of fresh fruits and veg.  Exercise also helps (walking around). At my hospital they also recommended flax seeds (linseed) as natural laxative.  

You might want to try magnesium sulphate- it’s a supplement for strengthening bones but has a gentle laxative a "side effect " as it draws fluid from the stomach . It comes in pill form and was using it before my cancer diagnosis and goubd it excellent . Hope this helps