Consultant confusion

Consultant confusion

Consultant confusion I had a follow up appointment at my local breast care centre on Friday. I’ve been experiencing breast pain for the last two months since I had fine needle aspiration and a core biopsy; my GP put me on anti-biotics and told me to mention it at my appointment.
The results of my tests were all clear thankfully - just cysts, and the consultant told me not to worry about the pain as it was normal for someone of my age who was pre-menopausal (although I didn’t have any pain before I had the tests).
She went on to tell me not to ignore any lumps or changes I found in the future and to go straight back to my GP as “…they will occur again and they might not always be benign.”
As she examined me, she found another lump in my left breast. I asked if she was going to send me for a mammogram or an ultrasound, but she replied “…no, I think we’ll let you go for now. Nice to see you.” and left the room.
I’ve been given the all clear, and I’m not going to worry myself silly about this new lump, I’m just a bit confused. Can they be sure from previous test results and a manual examination that a lump is benign?

Hope you’re all keeping well
Lainey

Saw nobody had replied to you so here goes.

I used to have breast lumps one after the other which were all cysts or benign fibroadenomas but they never ceased to worry me until I knew that cancer had been ruled out each time so I would always want that reassurance. Manual examination just wouldn’t be enough for me.

On the other hand, depending on how long you’ve had this lump they might see this new lump as part of the current problem which they feel they’ve thoroughly investigated now. So their advice to go back if you get lumps or breast changes might be meant for the longterm future?

Either way, if I was still concerned, I’d go back just to set my mind at rest and to understand what exactly she meant by her advice.If cancer could be detected so easily they wouldn’t bother with ultrasounds would they?

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.