Consultants with not much hope

My mum was diagnosed with secondary breast caner in the bones in 2013 she had various hormone treatment and chemo. All was stable until early this year when they found cells in the liver, followed 1 month later by 8 tumors in the brain. She has been on Kadcyla chemo + herceptin) for 4 months and had whole brain radiotherepy. We have just had scans back showing the liver and bones are stable and shrinking, but the lypnth nodes in the neck and around the kidneys have new tumors in. My mum is been quite porley for the last month with high temps, and bacterial infections resulting in her being in hospital on and off. She seems ok now shes home, eating 3 meals and can get dressed ect. However does need care to cook meals and help her get downstairs ect. After the news from the consultant today it was sugested she started on Vinorelbine (Navelbine) which is an oral chemo once every 3 weeks. But her ongolgist didnt hold much hope (she never has been overly enthusiastic), it was between that or no further treatment due to her view that my mum is weak and it will not improve her quality of life. I was just wondering if anyone has been on this drug or has also had similar views from their consultants? Thanks in advance x

Hello Luciet
Welcome. I’m so sorry to hear your mum is so poorly.
Hopefully some of the other ladies reading will b able to offer advice on the new treatment.
Stay strong for your mum and she us lucky to have such a caring daughter.
Xxxx

Lucie, sorry i cant help with answers to your qestions about vinorelbine but just wanted to say hello and wish you and your mum well. So sorry to hear she has been so poorly but glad she seems a little better. We are all here for you. x

Hi luciet,

ive been on Vinoralbine and I understand it helps a lot of people! Im so sorry about the negative consultant…it really helps if they arent. However, just remember, they have to be very open and frank about the posdibilites these days, but also that sometimes we do surprise tha doctors… They havent a crystal ball and I have heard of people who respond well to drugs after being given bad news and get some extra time

try to enjoy every minute with your mum…I lost mine when I was far too young

Hope your mum feels better onVinorelbine And that it brings some improvement.

Moijanxx