cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contraception and cancer

4 REPLIES 4
RoadRunner

Re: Contraception and cancer

I think you will find that the oncology dept will advise using a condom during chemo irrespective of fertility issues. This is to protect your OH from the chemo drugs

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks I will give the helpline a call and also contact my BCN. I find that this cancer BS impacts every part of your life, even things you wouldn't Think.
I guess the GP didn't want to advise while I am under the care of the hospital.
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

Disappointing that your GP felt unable to give advice. Yes, absolutely, this is just the sort of thing that your BCN should be able to assist with so give them a call straight away.

I was also using Progesterone-based contraception (Implanon implant) when I was diagnosed and had this removed immediately.

All the very best with your forthcoming treatment.
Sam_BCC

Hi kiranclair

Whilst you wait for the other users to reply with their knowledge and experience you may find it helpful to talk this through with a member of staff on the hlepline. The staff are there to offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Guest user
Not applicable

Contraception and cancer

I have recently had a WLE which was successful clear margins and nodes were fine. I am due to have the chain of nodes removed from my chest as they did find an enlarged lymph node and feel its best to take this out.
My bc is TN grade 3 and therefore I am due to start chemo soon. In the meantime I am having fertility treatment just in case the chemo affects my chances of having a baby. Until now I have been using the Mirena IUS coil which is a hormone based coil but I believe its progesterone. My BCN advised me to have that removed as did the fertility people. I have now done this but wonder if anyone has any contraceptive advice. My GP would not advise me due to my diagnosis. Is this something that my BCN nurse can assist me with?