376349posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cooking in September/October

carmcg1

Re: Cooking in September/October

oh Sonia, poor you, that doesnt sound good, my wound took ages to heal and they wouldnt give me radiotherapy until it was all cleared up

hope you are ok

love Carol xx

icietla

Hello Ladies,

I will have my 8th rad session of 25 today and I am really worried. My wound had just healed when I started rads and it took 3 long months to get there after surgery. Now the center of the wound is leaking and is red. Will ask to see a doc today. Anyone with the same experience or advice?

Thanks,

Sonia

only1chris

Raw area under arm getting bigger today - am seriously thinking of crying off tomorrow for the last of 25... worried that another burning on the raw area might make it prone to infection and then maybe lymphoedema will take hold?? Surely 24 should be enough??

Had lunch with a crowd of my husbands golf mates and ran this past a retired Doc - and his reaction was "after 24 i think you are probably right"

Wish it hadnt got to this stage. As i said before apparently i am unlucky; but if you see problems brewing do mention them and get early treatment. I think if i had not the whole under bust area would have broken down weeks ago. Unfortunately getting the dressings to stay in place under the arm and prevent rubbing is not easy - probably why it has gone there. Also this area was later in showing the signs of burning and so looked less awful than some other areas!

Best wishes to you all.

Krisid lovely to see you posting again; i think you ladies who cope with youngsters and all of this are brilliant! Keep looking after yourself and resting - my onc said about 1 month post rads before tiredness will start to improve. Hang in there!

Lisa great to hear you are enjoying your bike and feeling fitter- you had a rotten time earlier so glad to hear things are good for you.

Love C

krisid

Hi,Ladies i havent posted for while Chris so sorry you have so much problems with rads ....but you did well finish it ,wich is important ,i was lucky with the skin -no problems at all it will be 2 weeks after my last one on tuesday ,i do feel tired now more than when i was having it ....need to lie down during the day for while as my little one keeps me busy.....i hope things go well and every day from now you will see your skin gets better....Lisa that is nice on the bike i am not brave like you to go on bike but i will start yoga on friday...i hope everyone is doing well and soon will be over ..think Christmas and enjoy yourselfes ....Christina

lisa_lisa

HI Ladies old and new , all zapped and new to being zapped just to let you know had a bike for my 40th and been out on it twice yes and in this weather .
And I felt fab cant belive that just a few months ago I didnt have the strength to walk down stairs . Its amazing how our bodies recover ..Shame weight doesnt go back as quick lol...
Hope every one is looking forward to Christmas and the new year as much as I am . I will raise a glass for us all .Roll on 2010 .
Hope everyone is feeling well
Love Lisa x

knitnut

I will start being zapped Xmas week I think. saw Onc last Monday and that looks like the start week so far anyway. I'm having 15 treatments so we shall see how things pan out. Good luck to all of you being cooked at present

only1chris

Hi everyone

Had 24 of 25 and very sore now - been told i am unlucky in how my skin has reacted. Take care of under that arm Annie - get referred to a nurse if possible as my skin there has totally broken and is a pain literally ( surprising too since i am still numb from the op!) There are dressing nurses at my centre and they have been dressing the sore areas since treatment 7 and keeping a hold on preventing the whole skin breaking down; very good and kind. Was referred initially by radiographer when i pointed out the suspicious area on day 7 so maybe others here can take advantage of that knowledge...

Am looking like a lopsided Dolly Parton with all the dressings in place and so wanting to be able to dress more normally. Thank heavens for loose floppy cardies.. and M&S Secret Support tops!

Have been given Flamazine cream to use after zapping ends and will see them again Monday for further advice. Read good reports of this on here so am hoping.However was told effects will peak about day 10-14 afterwards boo hoo... am starting to feel sorry for the turkeys!

Good luck to all you ladies still being treated - and well done to the finishers. Joining u soon behind the tape cheering everyone on. We are all amazinG!
Love C

cloudhowe

Hello everyone

Well that's me had my 10th zapping and apart from being a bit sore under the armpit, it's been fine - no redness thus far. But I am bone tired, and I was so ill on Taxotere when i started. Feels like forever since I felt 'normal' I slept till 12.30 yesterday and today. I feel that I am missing the run up to Xmas and I love this time of year. Going for tapas tomorrow, hope I have an appetite! Glas to hear that everyone is coping well with the cooking. Like Sonia says, it's a breeze compared to chemo. And we are all reaching the end of a long, hard journey. Well done us!

Take care everyone and keep smiling!

Annie xxx

icietla

Hello Ladies,

4 done, 21 to go. It seems to get easier as it goes... I know, I know, it will be the other way around soon. But I always tell myself: nothing can be worse than chemo! I am happy the headaches are gone too so it looks like I will stay on Tamoxifen.

Best wishes to all of you.

Sonia
xxxx

hollymeg

Karen, thanks for the reasurance. would be interested to on any advice on the menapause girls. only got 6 rads left now. getting sore and a bit tied when i get back from rads but nothing to complain about.
Luv to all my cooking buddies xxx

biggles

Hi all, had no 6 today, going well nothing to moan about so far. had herceptin too this morning was in hospital at 10am normally takes two hours with all the faffing about was finished by 10.45am, my rads app was not due until 1pm so went and ask if they could fit me in earlier - i was sitting in my car by 11.20am - amazing!!! Pauline, i think the ovary removal is wise. I was sitting next to a lady who had breast cancer 3 years ago and is now having treatment for Ovarian cancer, felt very lucky that research today gives us more choices and chances of survival!!! I am having mine removed two weeks tomorrow, i am reading up on menopausal stuff at the moment - anyone know of any good books about menopause brought on by bc - have phoned helpline and they are going to send me a few suggestions - would be grateful for any more!!!! love to you all cooking buddies........Karen xxx

cathjue09

hi

well thats me cooked, quite sore , but lovely nurse gave me lots of gel and pads to use,

thought i would have free time but no, finised tuesday, had app at occupational health wed, thursday, went to my sons xmas activity day this morning, and have got app for my sons anxity problems this afternoon, how did i ever find time to work
will catch up soon hugs to all julie x

Ann_04

Hi Anna

I saw your post about your laptop. Thing upon thing! how did the appt go?

Ann x

annalou24

Hi all

not been on for a while as my laptop needs a new hard drive , apparently !I am having to borrow my son's, in the very short spaces of time he is not on it himself !

Hope everyone is getting on ok with rads or post-rads effects.

I am feeling fine, if still a little tired. Have my first follow up appointment with onc tomorrow, which I am not really looking forward to...

The prospect of going back to work is also becoming more real ( sometime after Christmas....) 😞 !!!

Love and hugs

Anna xx

hollymeg

hi ladies had number 16 today and saw the rads doc too. i am going on tamoxifen and being refered for an oopherectomy on my request as i also have ovarian cancer in the family. Any advice on that would be greatly recieved.

Well done julie on your last one.
Debs, hope your doing ok too chick

Off for a rest now, luv to you all, pauline xxx

carmcg1

hi Dot, im not even thinking about going back until the new year and I have been offerred a phased return which should ease me back in, I really do want to go back as thats "normal" for me.

probably once im back, ill be moaning about the levels of stress, but my outlook now is if I can deal with this, I can deal with anything, just hope it works out

take care

Carol xx

dotchas

Hi Cooked ladies!

I am also still very tired,I could sleep 12 hours or more every day.But I do find it hard to drop off to sleep at bedtime although I am sure I could do it any other time!
I was hoping to go back to work in about 10 days but not sure if I will manage if I am still so tired.Might be better after Christmas?
When are you thinking of going back?

Look Good Feel Good is great isn't it,I couldn't believe all my goodies.

Good luck to all those undergoing rads.

Love
Dot
x

carmcg1

Hi Gocat, yep I still have a very warm boob, its a bit weird, it still looks as though its got a nice suntan!!!, I am also still very tired but getting there.

I was on the look good feel better course yesterday, really good, what a fab bag of goodies you get, if anyone gets the chance go on it, there was a lovely bottle of S J Parker perfume in mine too.

take care

Carol xx

gocat

Hiya, Finished rads about 6 weeks ago. Just wondering if anyone else that finished rads, still get pink skin on their treated breast and does it still feel warm. I have one cold breast and one hot breast here lol. Wondering if it still means the radiotherapy is still doing its work?
Apart from that, feel ok but extremely tired. In bed most nights by 7.30pm but up again by 7am then catnapping during the day too.

Jellylegs

Hi icietla, Just to say I had really bad heads with the Tamoxofin until I changed my brand. Good luck with the rest of your rads.

icietla

Hello Ladies,

Well, 1st one done, 24 to go. It was not as easy as I thought. They zapped me about 5 times in different spots and it took about 10 minutes + 10 minutes to place me on the table. Today was not a good day... starting with trying to get a free or reduced price parking spot at the hospital, which cannot be done. They charge 13$ (about 7,50 pounds) per day, meaning 325$ for the 5 weeks. I think it is outrageous for a hospital to charge so much. So I had to drive around the hospital for 30 minutes to find a parking spot.

I am still trying to deal with headaches I have had for the last 3 weeks. Will see the onc. on Wednesday. They want to check if it is due to Tamoxifen. If not, will do a brain scan.

Today was the first day of snow and I HATE winter. I also hit my knee on the car door. Otherwise, it was a good day LOL. Ok I am done with the rant.

I hope you are all doing well and I envy those who are done with rads!!!

Sonia
xxx

hollymeg

julie, lol, glad your enjoying the cider though. Well done on reaching the finishing line. I know it might be scary when you have done, you know where i am, we can shere another coffee... by land line anyway.

debs, hope your doing ok today catch u on fb later

Sonia, just tackle one thing at a time, your only human and very stressed at the min. Think about giving up smoking when you feel ready. I wouldn't entertain giving wine and chocolate up till all this cr*p is over and done with, whats the difference? there all bad for you. good luck with your rads tomorrow

Karen, hope your zapping goes ok this week, that will be 7 for you, i will only have 6 left at the end of this week, can't believe how quick it is going when you look at it like that

Annie cant believe you have 2 do 2 hospitals in one day, and i moan about my 1 trip, hang in ther girl

sally well done on getting down to 5 a day, that must have taken some doing. hope your doing ok

carol and chris i am with you on the weight gain, about a stone but not worrying about it till after center parks get together in mid jan

Sally well done on getting back to the kick boxing and some normality, i thought i had done well going food shopping on my own for the first time this weekend, that was normality for me. Must feel great to be getting back to some usefull exercise, keep it up

Hope your all having a good weekend, happy zapping luv pauline x

cathjue09

what a plonker ive pressed wrong button, hadnt finished

sonia you are going through so much at the min, trying to give up smoking is so hard anyway let alone when you are going through this cr#p,you will do it if or when you decied

sally well done on the kick boxing, you must have felt so great after

deb well done on finishing rads, maybe now you fish will get fed on fb, i had to release one the other day because someone had tyed a stone to it

karen, on the road of zapping , keep going you are doing well

pauline when i was there the other day, a poor lady was having a coughing fit we could all here her in the waiting area,

keep on cooking babes is that a song, oh no its "keep on trucking" o well think cidar has gone to my head
julie x

cathjue09

hi all

well 23 down and 2 to go, must sat am sore under my arm and boob which is brown, get quite tierd , will be glad when it finishes but have met some lovely people along the way, especially my lovely voluntary drivers, who are all very chatty and have made me feel very welcome, they seem to have a lot of interesting storys to tell,
will feel abit out in limbo land though as no further treatment for me, i suppose i just have to be postive and get back to some sort of normallity

sally welldone with the kick boxing, it must have felt great, i plan to have a bike for xmas, and do a bit of cycling, havent been on a bike for awhile so should be fun

biggles

Hi Annie, sorry to hear you are having aches and pains, how long have you been off the TAX, do you think it is the Herceptin. I am on Herceptin at the moment i go in on Thursday for my next lot! With regards to the aches, i got my hubby to rub an aloe vera based heat lotion on my legs and feet, could use a cooling gel or tea tree i found at night it would be quite soothing! Gosh to have two treatments at two different hospitals what a pain, are they close by? I am lucky all of my treatment is at Addenbrookes a bit of a trek about an hour but a great hospital so i am not complaining (much!!) Karen xx

cloudhowe

Hi Guys

I dispair of health fascists! I don't smoke, and am sensitive to smoke, and we all know how dangerous it is, but going through what we are going through is not the best time for added stress!! My brother, who had terminal cancer of the gullet, was told not to change his habit (he was a heavy smoker) by his team. Don't feel guilty or bullied, you can give up, if you choose, when all of this is but a hazy memory. Betcha you'll feel motivated to do so in fact!

Getting my 6th blast tomorrow, and getting Herceptrin in the morning (at different hospitals) so will be knackered by teatime, I expect. Under my arm is getting tight and a bit tender already, boob is fine so far tho'. Must check out the support tops at M&S, thanks for the advice! I was wondering what to do if bra becomes uncomfortable. I am a D cup.

I am still very weak from the TAX, and yesterday I ached from head to toe. My shoulders are sore from holding them in an unnatural position (my right shoulder is very damaged from an accident a few years ago) so I expected that, but my bones really hurt yesterday. Bug do you think? Spent the day on Tramadol and Ibuprofen (I hate taking meds and only take it if very sore)

Hope you all have had and are having a great weekend and good luck to all of us being cooked next week!

Love, love, love and lots of it!

Annie x

biggles

Hi Sonia, I am not a smoker but like Sally i think you should do what she has been advised, anyway what right has any of us to sit in judgement of anyone, we all need to do what we need to do to get through this!! I dont smoke, but i turn to food, i have put on about 2 stone and feel like crap this morning, i know the good i ought to eat but i dont want too!! Give me Chocolate and Baileys anytime!!! I have just done 2 rads, go in again tomorrow, let me know how you get on and compare notes! I would advise to drink loads of water................Karen xx

sunflower65

Hi Sonia

just to let you know that your not alone, I too smoke, have got down to about 5 a day now but when i got diognosed the onc said not to try to give up now as it would cause more stress.and to wait til all treatments are over and when i feel ready too, im not going to be bullied into it as i know if i do stop by being bullied i will start again. Its easy for those who dont smoke to say give up but its just not that easy.
I smoked during the rads with no affect.

take care Sally xxx

icietla

Hello all,

I've been drawn on today and rads will start on Monday. I know, I know, I will be seen as a "bad girl" but I haven't quit smoking since the beginning of treatments (February 2009), although I stopped for 12 days after surgery. I am smoking about 10 cigs a day and I promised myself that after all the stress of the treatments is done, I will quit. I have tried a couple of times, but my willpower was all on getting over the aches and pains.

After reading the recommendations for the rads (no wine, no beer, no smoking), I felt like crap. What if I get hit by a truck tomorrow, will the truck give a damn if I ate all my brocoli and drank my soy milk? I want to have a nice meal with wine, have a beer with friends and do the things I like to do without feeling as miserable as if I entered a convent until it's my time to go. It sounds awful doesn't it? But life always seems to be made of sacrifices and I am kind of fed up with trying to be a saint. And please, don't tell me that hummus and cranberry juice is better tasting than a steak and chips with a glass of wine, or that "you get used to it". I like hummus and some of the healthy stuff, but I don't want to make it a way of living and I don't want to "get used" to eating food that gives me no real pleasure.

OK please forgive me for ranting. I will try again not to smoke during rads... will try.

Thanks for reading me,

Sonia
xxxx

only1chris

Sally well done! Also gives me heart as i cant wait to get back to my gym classes (combat, pump and balance) but am scared at moment cos of sore boob...and meantime my weight soars 😞

Love to all C

carmcg1

Sally, well done you, it must just be so nice getting back to "normal", I really need to get my backside in gear and shift some of the weight that I inherited with my cancer!!!!

mabye once I get back to work in the New Year, that will help shift it

love

Carol xx

sunflower65

Hi all

Just wanted to share with you that today i went back kick-boxing for 1st time since mastectomy back in april, managed to do all except the sparing at the end, am sooooo happy as i thought i wouldnt be able to do it again, even had a few tears at one point.I only finished chemo 18th sept and rads middle of oct.I'l probably pay for it tomorrow with aches LOL. But I DID IT !!!!!!

hope everyone is fine and well

love sally xx

only1chris

hi lovely ladies

Well done Debs on finishing - am following on behind. 19 done of 25. Having today off as machine being serviced feels like a "holiday" !

After a worrying start everything seems ok; am still receiving special gel and dressings from nurses and situation under boob is "holding" they said secret is getting referred instantly by radiographers.So take note new girls; a small sore area started in week 2 and i could have ignored it as par for the course but didnt. Yesterday nurse said if this continues shouldnt even need flamazine after treatment finishes - i gather this is a silver based cream used if skin breaks down. Nursing team have a great idea re holding dressings in place.. they cut crotch off stretchy surgical knickers and i use it as a boob tube over the dressings and go braless under my support tops- see below if anyone largish needa a recommendation.

Also slapping on creams and gels twice a day - after shower and before bed. Used simple soap and aqueous cream before special potions from nurses.

So am soldiering on with pink and slightly sore boob in pink "secret support" top bought from M&S online in D-G cup sizes. Found in their sleepwear section but i have received a lot of comments about my nice top. Bought it a size larger so it is comfy under boob and it has made going without a bra respectable and practical too. Do feel sufficiently supported.Also have a brown vest one with cream lace which also looks and feels good.Under nice soft wrap style cardigans no one can tell!

carmcg1

Karen, I think my first one was the worst as you didnt know what you were in for, but its all very doable, I cant believe I am actually talking about going back to work in the new year!!!

Keep slapping on the magic cream, I also ditched my bra throughout radiotherapy too, got some lovely soft vests from primark, they were so comfy

take care and all you lovely rads babes have a great weekend

love

Carol xx

biggles

Hi everyone, well i got the first one out of the way! Thanks so much to all of you who remembered. All a bit daunting but painless, just a bit noisy with all the noise of the machinery feel like you are being strapped in for a space mission!!! I am sitting here however imagining all the things that could go wrong, am i burning or not!!!! I am about to go to bed, its 12.20pm tomorrow and the kids enjoy putting the AC cream on my back. Thanks again for all your support and kindness, i do think we are all a special breed of women!!! Good luck to everyone tomorrow who is cooking! Karen xx

debs

zea, i too have just finished rads had 23 sessions, i used aqueous cream twice a day too, just slapped it on didnt rub it in. They told me i could use E45 too. i just used a pure soap, like simple soap and my skin is fine a bit red but not sore or broken! hope it goes well for you!

Pauline i always dreaded that!! wondered what they would do now I know!!!

hope all of you being zapped are ok! love debs xxxx

hollymeg

oh god ladies guess what i did today.....had a coffing fit during my rads!!!!!! couldnt help it. i got a tickle start in back of my throat, tried not to coff but it must have looked like i was convulsing, i had to let it out eventually. they came in running and stopped the machine. they let me coff and then lined me back up again. I hope i didn't do any damage to myself. Have managed to stay perfectly still for the last 12, bloomin typical, doing so well.

karen hope your first one went well today. good luck to everyone else cooking and starting their cooking, luv Pauline xxx

icietla

Hi, I'll see tomorrow what cream the rads team suggests. I am in Canada (Montreal) might be a different cream... to be followed lol

Bye all

Sonia xx

laurasue

Hi Zea, good luck with your course of rads. I use Aqueous cream which was supplied by radology dept and apply it twice daily, after showering in the morning and before going to bed at night. Have just finished rads this week and my skin is very good (maybe I have been lucky)so its not always doom and gloom.

Chris x

zea

Hi, I have just started 1st zap today any hints and tips out there for me?? I have unscented shower cream and some E45 lotion to rub in but unsure how often I should do it I think the Tamoxifen has caused brain damage!!!!!

icietla

Hi Ladies,

Ann, I am starting rads on Nov. 30 for 5 weeks.

Thank you all for reassuring me.

Julie, what kind of cream should I put before going?

Thanks and take care.

Sonia

lisa_lisa

Hi Ladies hope every one is cooking well ... went to a bcc forum today in Birmingham were told about compl therapy. Had lunch after with friend I have met during treatment so had good day. on my third lot of antibiotics they think infection is celulitus in my lymphadima arm .... Apart from that life is getting back to normal ...Want to enjoy being off work and felling well.
Hope everyone is having a good day
Lisa xxx

gocat

Had my follow up appt this afternoon after finishing rads 5 weeks ago and unlike Carol wasnt discharged but they want to see me again in 6 months. Hope this is just different local policies as onc didnt seem concerned about anything. Said my skin was still red and to carry on with skin care. Wasnt concerned about rib pain. He said something about having a mammogram in 6 months too.
Next appt is surgeon in February.

hollymeg

Hi there all, i have had number 12 today and i am doing fine. There was a lady in the waiting room today who i have been friendly with since starting my rads. it was her last one today and she was in tears, so scared of what the future held now all her treatment was over. Made me think there should be some further support offered to women in her position, maybe there is i don't know. I know there are numbers you can ring but some ladies wouldn't feel they could ring them. Oh well i will be in that position in just over 2 weeks so we will have to wait and see.

Well done all the ladies finishing their rads, another milestone reached

Karen, good luck tomorrow, you will be fine

Luv to you all, pauline xxx

sunflower65

Hi all

WELL DONE Debs on finishing your rads, its a great feeling in one way but also a bit scarey too

julie your so close too only a few to go now.

Carol well done as well

hope everyone else is ok too, sorry if ive missed anyone ive got tamoxifen brain, well cant blame the chemo anymore can I LOL

love Sal xx

debs

Just had last rads!! survived 23! skin not too bad so ive been lucky!
Like you laurasue it feels strange and somewhay scary to have come to the end!!!

hope everyone is doing ok, love debs xxx

Ann_04

Thanks Chris - So glad it's over for you. I hope the tiredness soon wears off.

icietla - I am starting on 8th Dec and finish on 6th Jan. When do you start?

Ann x

laurasue

Yippee!! Last rad yesterday, can't believe how quickly those 15 sessions went. I do feel very tired but my skin is good with hardly any signs that it has been zapped. Strange to say but I shall almost miss the daily trips, my team at Southampton were fantastic and I met another lady who I think will be a life long friend!

However, it does seem a bit scary looking to the future after all the trauma of the last four months and I feel unsure about the return to work in a few weeks, even though it will be phased.

Good luck to all you rad babes xx

sunflower65

Hi sonia

I also had a mastectomy and was left with a slightly concave chest, i also had rads to just below my collar bone, I had 15 rads and i had no problem with my skin at all it only went slightly red during the rads and then slightly brown afterwards and peeled slightly, no pain or soreness whatsoever, I slapped plently of E45 morning and night and only got very mind itcheness, its now a month since i finished and am fine.
Just to warn you that i did suffer from the area and under arm tightening and had to do more of the exercises tht we had to do after the mastectomy but am now fine and have total mobility again.

I hope this is of some help to you and I wish you all the best for your rads, oh and my voice was fine too, did have brown sploges above collar bone after the rads but the peeled and dissapeared.

all the best

Sally xx

cathjue09

hi sonia

you will be suprised how quick the time seems to go once you start rads, make sure you start putting the cream on now, and good luck for monday
julie x