cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copies of doctors letters

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted

Re: Copies of doctors letters

Hi Helen, can you ask your GP for a copy when he receives his from the hospital?
Highlighted

Hi,ladies,thank you,I'm still trying to get copies of letters from onc he sends to GP. Still no luck. I sign a form every time saying I would like copy but apparently because he comes from another hospital it's not their problem! I've always got copies of letters from doc to GP when I've seen a doctors from other departments after operations before .
I just find it rude,I've email BCN asking her but no response ,I didn't expect one as she workers at Fawlty towers and is one of the carry on gang looking after me!
Huge hugs ladies & good luck with your treatments,Helen xxx
Highlighted

I can fully understand that some patients do not want to see the information contained in letters between the hospital and GPs or results of scans etc.  That's their perogative.  Some people want to know what the hospital doctor is telling the GP, some people do not.  That's fine. 

Yes, obviously consultants do no usually write a separate letter to a patient but sending out a cc of a GP letter to the patient if he/she wants it should be a straightforward process - surely - or am I missing the point?

I am also aware that is some circumstances doctors are permitted to with-hold documentation in the best interests of the patient.

However, all things being equal, I do think it is outrageous that any hospital should refuse copies of letters if requested and furthermore it is outrageous that any hospital should charge a fee to access copies of letters which they should have been sending to the patient who has asked for them anyway.  At the NHS hopsital, at which I have attended various departments over the past 20 years or so, it is standard procedure to copy letters to patients should they want them.

Keep fighting this 2catlady.  Perhaps a phone call to BCC Helpline or Macmillan might help as they might be able to send a link to the relevant government guidelines.

Best of luck.

Highlighted

Hi 2catlady

just noticed this thread.  I used to be a medcal secretary and it is not normal policy to write to the patient, only the GP or other healthcare proffesional involved.  If the patient wanted a copy of the letter though we would send one.  You can contact the Medical records Dept at your hospital and they will send you a form.  You will have to sent a copy of your passport or driving licence for proof of identity and often they will ask for £10 or sililar.  For this you should receive all copies of data held by the hospital as everything goes onto a PACS system, letters, scan reports etc.  Hope this helps

Highlighted

Helen, I have had copies of letters from my BC surgeon but never from the onc. The surgeon's letters have always been positive so have been cheered by these. Like Belinda though, I don't really mind not having one from the onc as I don't want any more details than he gives me himself. I do trust him though as he is usually thorough and I think he tells me what I need to know. I think in your case I would want a copy as he doesn't seem to talk to you does he? Love Sheila. Xx

Highlighted

I have to admit the first time I got my ct report I was so upset. My onc had sort of told me but not how many mets in my lungs. Took me a few days to get over so beware - initially getting copies of everything can be a shock and upset you.
Highlighted

Ive not thought to ask for copies of letters either...like belinda..im a bit afraid to ask!

Im sure if I read anything negative it would put me in a very dark place. But its nice to know we have a right to them if needed, they did ask if I wanted to see my ct scan but I said no, just having them read out the findings was enough to strike terror in me... I'm such a wuss!!

Love bev xxx

Highlighted

Hi,ladies,I'm still fighting with hospital. I'll let you know what happens.
I want letters as I frankly just have no faith in onc or BCN . I ask for my markers every time too,Belinda, my onc said he looks for a three month trend in them going up HA HA! Mine when up for a year and he did nothing!!! Hence I don't have any faith or trust!
I rang BCN today to say why can't I get letters she said they don't send them out . So I said well I want them.
Huge hugs,Helen xxxxxxxxx
Highlighted

I have had copies of scans but I've never asked for copies of the doctor, Onc letters. I made a decision years ago that although I knew I had many bone mets I wouldn't ask for which exact bone etc. It sort of helps me live normally, if I read the letters I think I would feel more fragile, ill, sort of whoo better not do that, carry that.
Perhaps it is just head in the sand. 😕 I do know, ask every time, my tumour markers.
Highlighted

Hi Helen,

I'm glad you raised this. I've never had any letters or scan reports either. I hadn't even thought to ask but I will now. My GP surgery, who have historically been useless, seem to have a 'boost' button for service where cancer is concerned so I'm going to try the GP route first. Good luck x

Highlighted

Hi I don't post that often , but do read most days . I too receive all copies of letters sent from my hospital to GP . I also have copies of all scan results . X
Highlighted

Hi,ladies,thank you,god it must be my rubbishy hospital yet again. I will not let this drop.
Huge hugs,Helen xxxxx
Highlighted

Since I was diagnosed 5 years ago I have automatically received  copy of every single letter from the hospital to my GP.  My oncologist is not based in the hospital I attend so, the excuse you've been given that "its because he's from another hospital", is extremely lame and unhelpful.

Your BCN may be able to print off all the letters for you plus any reports you may want e.g. pathology, otherwise, as already suggested, obtain copies of letters from your GP.  If you still get nowhere I'd suggest you take it up with the hospital PALS team.

It does make me cross to read about this sort of information being withheld from patients without good reason.  You've enough hassle going on coping with diagnosis and treatment without having to overcome needless administrative hurdles put in place by the hospital.

Good luck and best wishes. 

Highlighted

Helen

I also have all copies of correspondence. I like to know what the doctors have said and it is also helpful when visiting GP because I can show them should they have not have had a copy or if it awaiting scanning etc.xx

Highlighted

Hi 2catlady.

the advice from nice says we are entitled to recieve copies of all letters. I requested mine again and again. Finally got everything from the surgical dept after months. Didn't get the first oncology dept so I got a copy from my GP's.  Now I get copies when they are sent out.

it has been very useful. My pathology report in particular. No one told me I had three different types of bc. In fact I take the letters and report to doctor appointments and use it when discussing treatment with GP and nurse.

keep pushing if you want the letters you should have them

Keeks

Highlighted

Hi,chocolate ,yes,I'll do that as I know GP gets copies.
Thanks,huge hugs,Helen xxxx
Highlighted

Helen, I think as long as there is no medical reason - ie patient very depressed etc and so letters would add to condition - there is no reason why you can't see/have them. If you have a better gp then you can go to them and ask them for them as onc has to copy to your gp. That might be a better route initially. Then I'd take the letters to your next meeting with your onc and say I'd like copies from now on save me going to gp. Ask him to tell his secretary and then ring the secretary the day after to confirm. Hope this helps. I have copies of all scan reports. My onc happily provides them. Xx
Highlighted

Hi,Charlotte,it's been over a year and I've never had a letter. I got one from my surgeon and that's the only reason I knew my BC had changed to grade 3 as nobody had told me!! I want to know what's going on with me.
Huge hugs ,Helen xxxx
Highlighted

Hi Helen

At first I didn't realise any letters were sent out but when I did I requested copies and my onc secretary now sends me copies. I'm sure we have a right to see them? I like to know what he saying about me!!

Charlotte

Highlighted

Copies of doctors letters

Hi,ladies,just a quick question. Are we entitled to get copies of all oncologist letters?
I've never had a copy of a letter from my onc. (The ones he sends to )I mentioned it at hospital as I had signed to say I would like them,they said its because he's from another hospital. I told him I'd like them he said he'd sort lol.that was 6 months ago!!
I've just rang his secretary and she said we don't send out copies of letters!! Is it just me and my cra@@y treatment or do others not get them?
Huge hugs,Helen xxxxx