cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coping with chemo

5 REPLIES 5
Paulie652010

Re: Coping with chemo

My wife is having lumpectamy next week and then chemo and radiation hope everything goes well for you both.

bazza7676

Hi Buzzard

My wife has just had a lumpectomy and lymph nodes removed and will need chemotherapy. How are you and your wife now? Are you through the other side?

Barry
Kess

Make sure you ask her team for some medicine to help her mouth if you haven't already. There is lots they can offer her.

A lot of people find the first tax is bad, but that doesn't mean the rest will be. I was barely out of bed for a week after the first one, but was back at work each cycle a few days after the following ones.

Chemo is tough emotionally as well as physically - try and find things she can enjoy that don't take too much energy for the days she feels better. But a short walk on the days she can may actually give her more energy. Although I didn't manage that half as often as I planned as I just didn't feel up to it sometimes. She just needs to do the best she can, but it would be a real shame to stop now having got so far through.
bluesjenny

I had both them drugs in feb 2013 the fec wasn't too bad but the tax did make me ill ! I also had really bad mouth ulcers and aches and pains ! Some days you do feel like giving up ! I have been in remission since October, although i do have a sore throat and mouth every day still. Tell your wife to be strong and  drink plenty of water. It will get better. Hope this has been of some help to you and if you want anymore advice please don't hesitate to message me xx

June_BCC

Hello Buzzard

This must be a very difficult time for you and your wife, maybe a call to our free helpline would help.  The staff can offer practical information as well as emotional support to both of you.  The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

with best wishes

June, moderator

Best wishes

June, moderator

Buzzard

Coping with chemo

Okay ladies (and any of the odd gentlemen),

I want your suggestions/help.

It has been a long year.  First there was the discovery, then the surgery, and some repeat surgery, now the wife is going through the chemo.  So she has had 3 rounds of FEC and a week ago had the first of the 3 tax.  I have to admit I think she was burying her head in the sand about the side effects of the tax and the first round has hit her really quite hard.  I am sure as many of you have already suffered she is really bad with the mouth ulcers and barely opens her mouth at the moment.  I am feeding her the most bland and innocuous foods I can find at the moment.  She has the aches, the tiredness etc.  But most of all she is deeply distressed.

During the FEC the final week before treatment she was distressed but was able to manage it by keeping very busy in the garden.  Now she does not have the energy to do that.  She has plenty of time to mull things over and is talking of giving up on the rest of the treatment because she just can’t face it.

I, as a rather distressed husband do not really know what to do to advise her.  Obviously the doctors would not put her through this if it was not going to improve the prospect for the outcome of the final treatment.  I will support her in whatever decision she makes but now have a guilt trip about trying to persuade her to carry on because I can see the suffering it is putting her through, but at the same time want to see her have the best possible outcome for the treatment.