Coping with stress and tests

Coping with stress and tests

Coping with stress and tests Hi everyone, This is my first post on here but have been reading your posts for a couple of months and found them very helpful so just wanted to tell you my experience in case it helps others.I was recalled for a mammogram over Christmas and a second one confirmed 2 patches of calcification.I then had a stereotatic biopsy which I found most unpleasant.I found out later that it is only some women who struggle with this depending on the make up of their breasts.I then had to go for a wire localisation and excision as they had found abnormal cells.I got extremely worried about this particularly as the biopsy had been so painful.I talked to the breast cancer nurses and the online support here which were both very helpful.I went to my GP who agreed to give me lorazepam which is a mild tranquiliser for the day of the operation but also to help me sleep beforehand.It helped to calm me and bought my blood pressure down(they were threatening not to operate if my bp continued to be so high)The wire localisation was not nearly as bad as the biopsy and sitting all day with the wires in was not uncomfortable at all.I waited over two weeks for the results and luckily they have cleared both areas and I just have to have yearly mammograms.I feel very fortunate but wanted to tell those going through it what I worried about and how I coped with it in the hope it might help a little.I found the waitng terrible(3months in all) I wanted to post on here during that time but felt my worries were miniscule compared to what many of you are going through.I would love to do something to help alleviate this and to help with research into easy ways to detect cancer.

Stess and Tests Hi there

Thanks for your kind words. I am going in on Thursday 15th for wire and removal of abnormal cells and will like you, have to wait for results although my doc has said should only take a week. Fingers crossed.

Thus far I have taken all of this in my stride and have not really worried about anything (I think I might be in denial phase)!! I too have had high blood pressure but seems to have improved and I am hoping it wont be too high on the morning. My dad is in hospital following a massive stroke so I guess I have been too concerned about his condition to worry about mine!!!

Your words and thoughts are a great comfort to me and I am sure to others on the site who are waiting for surgery, results etc. I too am hoping for a positive outcome but if not will face whatever comes along.

Thanks
Lorraine

Hi Lorraine, im glad my post was of a liitle help.It sounds like you are coping admirably with it all.So sorry to hear about your Dad too.I hope he makes a good recovery.Best of luck on Thursday.I managed to go in and come out the same day.I asked if I could do it like that and they were quite happy for me too although most people at our hospital stay in 2 nights.Anyway let me know how you get on and the results. and if there is anything else you want to ask.Will be thinking of you.
Best wishes Sally

Good luck tomorrow Lorriane Hope it all goes well tomorrow and you sleep Ok tonight. Will be thinking of you tomorrow. Hope your dad is feeling better too. this must be a horrid time for you x