Cording/ mondors???

Hi all. Wondered if anyone knew much about this. I had surgery for BC in June 11 - WLE and axillary dissection all in one scar. Had typical axillary cording after the op and now have mild lymphoedema of that arm.

A few weeks ago I noticed a ‘string’ in my tummy muscles. Assumed it was a strained muscle after a skiing lesson - then forgot about it as I went skiing for a week. But now it is clearly coming from cords under the breast as well - over the top of the rib cage and into the abdomen.

I’ve heard of mondors and also heard that some cases may actually be lymphatic rather than originating from the venous system, so I wondered if that was it. It certainly looks much the same as many online pictures - but I have found it 6 mths post op???

Obviously it could have been there longer really - but it is quite tight and tender so I doubt it has been there for ages without me noticing.

I have a breast clinic appointment Thursday to have a look at it - I kind of insisted they see me to mark sure it isn’t something more sinister. TBH I am finding it pretty tough to stay sensible about this.

Hi

I had mondors. It appeared a year after surgery and in my unaffected breast. Scared the bejesus out of me. Had it scanned. Tech said it was not common and not uncommon- go figure??? Anyway it was like having a thick strawberry shoelace running throw my breast. They think it was caused by my four year old giving me a thump in my Herceptin irritated veins. Sorry don’t know anything about the lymphatic side of it.

Talk to your BCN. Am sure she could arrange a scan to reassure you. It took quite a long time for mine to go away. But after I knew what it was I wasn’t stressed anymore and forgot about t.

Dx

Hi Manny how scary for you. I noticed a cord like thingy under my affected breast running from the scar down towards my abdomen last Oct-Nov it was very noticeable and palpable ( had WLE x2 and ANC in separate scars in May-June 2010)it was 2 months before my annual appt and I got so freaked that I posted on here and also rang my BCN.I was given an earlier appt at breast clinic.Had mammo, u/s and saw Onc all within 2 weeks.Nothing sinister was found and no lymphoedema either.There was never a conclusive Dx for it and it has gradually disappeared over 4-5 months or so but I was so worried.My BCN at first thought it was Mondors but this was never confirmed.I can just about see where it was now but it is so insignificant now. Sending you hugs xxx J

i had mondors a few weeks after surgery in 2009 and also get cording in my arms after each surgery… my consultant thinks some people are prone to it… most pictures you see are of the vessel standing out under the breast but mine was pulled in and looked like a dimple in my breast… my gp thought it was mondors but sent me to get it checked and my surgeon took one look and said definitely mondors… it gradually went of its own accord.

i have cording in my left arm at the mo which just developed recently after surgery in sept… i have brufen gel which i rub in to help relieve teh pain but generally it on hurts when i stretch.

i can imagine how scared you are feeling i remember my gp saying ‘it looks like mondors, surely it couldnt be another tumour so soon!’ not so reassuring but i think it was more shock as she couldnt believe i had bc twice by that time anyway.

Lulu x

Hi, i’ 5 weeks post op lumpectomy and auxiliary clearance, got cording, which is driving me crazy, able to do most things if my arm bent, doing exercises as told, but differing days the cording is so tight, just been able to lie on my op side for 10 mins in bed, when i do can feel cording under my bust and into my ribs, the whole area feels so bruised, but i presume its early days, when i 1st felt the tube like feeling under my bust i was scared, i still am, so much happening!

Hi Girls
I had 2 Mondor chords running down from affected boob which I found 3 months after op… I’m now a year down the line and they have gone, though very sore and tender at the time they do ease off, I was told its trauma to the veins?
They can be very frightening but rest assured they will go in time I was advised not to attempt wearing an under wire bra till they had gone, so went for a stretchy sports bra which I found very comfortable.
Hope this helps… Dont you just get sick of it!!
The gift that keeps on giving!!!
Love and hugs to you all xxxx Doz

Thank-you ladies. It is reassuring to here that others have had similar symptoms. My breast clinic appointment is tomorrow am.

There are 2-3 thin cords under the breast that kind of merge into one that goes into my tummy.

Doz - yes - I AM sick of this! I just want a week off y’know? A week of no fear? Impossible it seems!

Bless you it will come in time xx
Its a long hard journey we found ourselves on but on the up side were still here telling the tale!!
Love and hugs hope the app, goes well xxxhugxxx

They confirmed it was mondors cords today! I am very relieved as I thought that is ‘all it was’ really, but it is so hard not to get worried in the moment.

Good news manny I hope its not too painful and clears up soon.
Lxx

Be gentle with yourself Manny and try not to do too much stretching I hope they clear up quickly for you, they are so painful and scarey at their worst and of course the mind plays the most evil tricks on us during this long journey…but they will eventually settle.
Take care xxhugxx

Hi there I recently found a cord vien in my left breast with a indentation with it been to docs this mrn she is sending me for a mammogram as I am 50 and due one now but I am terrified I haven’t had any recent oops or anything can you get them anyway . She can say for sure wat it is but she said there are no lumps but better to be safe and get all checked but I am terrified .