Core biopsy approaching terrified!!

So, the reality of my core biopsy on Thursday has hit me today like a ton of bricks. I am not looking forward to the procedure itself, but I am dreading waiting for the results even more. I am so scared. It is my birthday a week on Monday and I can’t bring myself to look forward to it as I will spend it waiting for results. I feel like my whole life is on hold. I can’t enjoy anything at the moment and am not sleeping well. I am not even 30 yet either, the thought of this being bad is just terrifying me.

I hadn’t read your previous postings when I replied so all I wrote is probably not relevant so please ignore my moanings! My initial biopsy was 8 years ago. I remember it hurting for a brief time but I can’t remember what local anaesthetic or similar I had. Bets it’s changed since that time ago.
Be wishing you every good thoughts later this week. ?

Hello France’s and welcome to the forum.

It is completely normal to feel to feel anxious about the biopsy and results. I see Daisy has kindly replied, but I think her initial description of a biopsy may be for a liver biopsy, so does not apply to your situation.

The biopsy is not too bad, you are given a local anaesthetic, but if you have pain during the procedure ask for more, you really shouldn’t feel too much discomfort. I don’t know how many samples they will take, I had nine taken, but all through the same tiny incision. I had some bleeding during the biopsy, but I think that is unusual. Afterwards you will be sore and may well bruise, but simple painkillers help. (Please ask if you want a bit more detail of the procedure)

Personally I think the worst part is the wait afterwards, there isn’t much you can do but keep as busy as possible and try not to Google your symptoms too much as it will only add to your anxiety. 

Do let us know how you get on. Hugs and best wishes

Hi Frances
I am sorry to read that you are so worried, along with the support here our helpliners are back tomorrow 9-5 so please feel free to call and talk your concerns over with one of our team who can offer you further support to help you through this

0808 800 6000 weekdays 9-5 Saturdays 10-2

Take care
Lucy BCC

I had my first core biopsy on friday and I will get the results in a week. It was a bit u comfortable and I am a bit sore and bruised. You will be fine. I sang songs in my head to distract me during the procedure x