cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Core biopsy - does it hurt?

8 REPLIES 8
Blakie1974

Re: Core biopsy - does it hurt?

I had to undergo a core needle biopsy on Tuesday, this was preceded by a double mammogram and to be honest I thought the mammogram was more painful than the biopsy itself! They use local anaesthetic which takes about 20 seconds if that to kick in, you do not feel the incision only slight discomfort once the need is in and locating it into the right place. I watched it on screen as I did not dare look down at what they were doing to me! In hindsight I may have been better off just closing my eyes and concentrate on breathing techniques. 2 samples were taken. Please note that there is a large clicking sound which the Radiologist should explain to you beforehand when they take the samples. Once it was completed, pressure was applied to the site to stop the bleeding and then 4 steristrips ( adhesive stitches) and a mepore (adhesive dressing) were put on. I then got dressed and sat in waiting room for 5-10 mins to make sure I wasn't going to faint and then went home. Have had some bruising to the breast, dressing is now off and one of the steristrips has fallen off ( just let them come off on heir own). Have had some discomfort around shoulder blade etc but put this down to either catching a nerve or body compensating when trying to get comfortable for the first night as scared I was going to open up the site!
Frances1985

Thanks Sea, I really appreciate your replies. Have just posted again about how scared I am about all of this. Hope your fatigue eases soon, I remember my mum getting episodes of crushing tiredness from rads. X
Seabreeze

Frances,
I'm now much further down the line - the surgeon was aware of the bruising from the core biopsy before my op and remarkably I had quite limited bruising from the op itself!
Given what you have said about the bruising from your procedure in June I would strongly recommend you tell the doc before they do the core biopsy, that way they might take a little bit more care. I guess my lump must have been quite hard to get into but I'm not sure they were quite as careful as they could have been.
I've just finished radio...getting over fatique.
Good luck, I hope no bruising and clear results.
Frances1985

Thanks Seabreeze. I had a heart procedure in June which involved going through my groin and bruised spectacularly on my right side. The bruise was well and truly enormous, so I just keep telling myself it can't be as bad as that! Sorry to hear you had such a tough time afterwards. X
Seabreeze

Hi Frances 1985
When I had 3 core biopsies done (through same entry point) into different corners of a lump, they used a local anaesthetic and was ok for rest of day. It hurt when they presses to stop bleeding but otherwise ok. I'm sure I am a very rare case and hope your experience is like the other 2 ladies who have posted but I developed quite severe bruising over the course of 2-3 days which lasted for quite a while (ended up visiting GP and being signed off for quite awhile. As I say I think this is quite rare (my GP's response certainly seconds that) and hopefully your biopsy will be fine. Don't want to cause you any additional worry by posting this just know how I hunted on forums after my bruising and couldn't find anything (so must be rare!)
Frances1985

Thank you jaye and lilac. I am only 28 (29 in 2 weeks!) and just dreading all of this. My mum had BC four years ago and is thankfully fine, but it is bringing back all those bad memories. How long do you have to wait for results?
Jaye

Hi Frances

My reply is the same as lilac, I had 2 done and you will be fine to drive home.

They freeze you first so not too bad at all.

After the numbness wears off it is tender for a few days though

All the best

Jaye

lilac55

I have had 2 core biopsies and had no problems driving afterwards.Slight tenderness for couple of days.

Frances1985

Core biopsy - does it hurt?

After nearly 4 weeks of waiting I have an appointment for a core biopsy next week. I am just wondering will I be ok to drive myself home from the hospital? I know they use local anaesthetic but does it hurt afterwards? Thanks. Xx