68528members
360454posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could I get a diagnosis from mammogram/ultrasound alone?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Could I get a diagnosis from mammogram/ultrasound alone?

Thanks ladies for your replies - all helps my overworked imagination calm down!

Feeling a bit calmer and more "whatever will be, will be" now. Of course, day to day aches that I would previously have ignored are "signs", doh.

Heading in for my apointment on Tuesday - not quite the bank holiday weekend I'd wanted but other domestic stuff needs sorting so hopefully I will tick along till then. Have a good weekend - wouldn't be lovely to get some beautiful spring sun to hearten the soul. 🙂

S xx

Highlighted

Hi Susan, hearing your worry and am thinking of you. Perhaps you could contact the breast clinic and ask them if they can clarify what tests they wish to carry out? I had a biopsy last week, was really worried about what the procedure entailed but it was fine...hardly any pain, over very quickly, and the nurses explained what was going on the whole time. Xx
Highlighted

Hi Susan,

I'm so sorry about your brother; I understand how this must compound your worries.

As far as diagnosis from mammogram/ultrasound; I think that they can sometimes have a pretty good idea before biopsy but would not make any definite statements until it is confirmed/or otherwise by the pathologist as suspicious areas can turn out to be benign.

I, personally, have not heard of anyone receiving a breast cancer diagnosis without biopsy.

Have they said what tests they want to do when you go back?

Glass half full:  Tests are often carried out to prove that something is not there.

When do you have to go back?

The waiting and worrying is awful so ((((((Susan))))) for you.

Tink x

Highlighted

Hi Susan2242

Firstly, welcome to the forums, it sounds like you're having a pretty worrying time at the moment.  Whilst you are waiting for the other users to reply with their knowledge and experience you might find it helpful to talk things through with a member of staff on the BCC helpline.  Here you can share your thoughts and concerns with somone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

Highlighted

Could I get a diagnosis from mammogram/ultrasound alone?

Hi - can anyone tell me if doctors will make a diagnosis of bc from mammogram/ultrasound alone? Or is a biopsy always required too?

Had a call back for further tests which is doing my head in! I know logically the statistics say more people leave that type of testing with no bad news but of course I keep thinking I'll be that 1 in 4. Doesn't help that I had a brother die from an "extremely treatable" cancer in his 20s -95% for his type of cancer recovered well, but he was one of the 5%, so our family knows from bitter experience that someone has to make up that minority % and I can't help feeling that could be me!

Must get my positive head back on! I'm normally a glass half full type of gal, but for something potentially so serious I have completely flipped and become glass half empty!!! Even experiencing that strength of feeling has surprised me already.

But it is really encouraging to see how supportive the forum is, no matter what people are going through - a real eye opener in fact!

Thanks for any advice or tales from your own experience.