Critical illness - life insurance after dx

Hi all,

Just wanted your thoughts/advice.

Myself and my partner signed for our mortgage on the day i was dx so had to delcare my dx so they gave me life insurance with a clause that would not pay out if cancer related and would not give me critical illness cover. Bad timing i know!!

Just coming up to my first year mamogram and keep thinking about the negative what ifs. I’m 26 and my fella is 34 and if anything happended to me he would not be able to afford the mortgage on his own and would have to move as no policies in place to pay it off.

Does anyone know if i can take either life insurance or critical illness out now or will no one touch me - had a bit of a luck but get depressed about all the questions have to answer each time to be told no.

Any help would be appreciated.

KayLou x

Hi Kaylou,

Sorry to hear about your youthful diagnosis.I am in a similar postion to you in that Im house hunting with a new partner. Im a bit older at 42, but we have 5 children between us. Six months prior to my diagnosis i bought a house on my own , got ctitical illness cover and thankfully it paid out. I had some problems as i have ulcerative colitis and was aware it didnt cover bowel cancer, but they tried to say i wasnt covered by any cancers! to cut a long story short my best friend is a BBC producer, and she ran a story and last Valentines Day i got a lovely cheque…

I, too would be interested in hearing about companies who would cover us as my new partner would be unable to pay a mortgage on such a large house on his own…

Many thanks,

jill