Critical insurance cover

Hi, I’m new on here and only recently diagnosed with breast cancer a month ago, had a lumpectomy last week and was told I had stage 2 invasive ductal carcinoma , I have critical insurance and I’m panicking in case I’m
Not covered , pathology report due next week following surgery for stage of cancer and whether it’s spread , I’m thinking will they try and wriggle out of it, reading policy it says any malignant tumour characterised by uncontrolled growth and spread of malignant cells and invasion of tissue, anyone else had a similar experience x

Hi Ali,

I had stage 2 invasive ductal carcinoma. My critical illness policy paid out with no problem. I would be pretty sure that yours will too. The cancer does not have to have spread elsewhere for most policys to pay out. However, quite a lot of policies seem to exclude DCIS ie ductal carcinoma in situ , as this does not have the same potential to spread.

I would contact your insurer to see what the claims procedure is. Mine required a form from me consenting to them contacting my surgeon. Once they had a reply from her, I got the money in a matter of weeks. Good luck with this and with the rest of your treatment.

Stage 2 invasive cancer will be covered by all critical illness policies in the UK based on the industry standard definition. The piece you quote is the standard definition. So as long as you didn’t have any symptoms before you took the cover which you didn’t tell the insurance company about you will be covered. Phone the company claims team. They will either send you a form to complete, or do it over the phone for you. Then they will write to your GP and consultant. As long as your doctors respond quickly you should get the claim paid swiftly.

Cats eye is correct, not all policies pay for. DCIS, some do but usually at a reduced rate.

Thank you Laksalover and Catseye for putting my mind at rest, the insurance company sent me a claim form and they have written to my consultant, my nurse told me the consultant won’t fill the form in until the pathology report is back from the surgery which is next Tiesday and then they send the insurance company a full report, the only tests I had done was three biopsies which come back as stage 2 invasive ductal carcinoma I was panicking in case the full report from surgery said it wasn’t severe enough, the tumour wasn’t big enough and they wouldn’t pay and wriggle put of it, I’ve had the policy 20 years and never had anything like this before , and was only 26 at the time it was taken out, thanks for your replies xx

My claim has been approved in full it helps to face the future x