Crutch user...

I’m due to have my lumpectomy and lymph nodes removed on Monday. I permantly use crutches and am wondering if anyone can take a guess as to whether it would be painful to use them After the op? I mean I’m not going to be going out a while, but things like walking to the bathroom or whatever… I’m just wondering if it’s going to make my arm hurt from the lymph node removal rather the actual lumpectomy …

Hello Daisy62, not sure if this  will be of any help to you but I will let you know how I got on. I have multiple sclerosis and had my first ever relapse just before I was due to have my lumpectomy and lymph nodes removed. I was wheeled for op etc, and although my walking was very limited and no use in my right arm I did not have any problems with the breast,wounds. I really would not like to say if the crutches will cause friction etc to wound but the nurses/surgeon will keep you right. I truly wish you all the best for Monday and just to say it was a scary, dark summer for me but now I can see light at the end of this tunnel. People on here kept me sane as I asked some crazy questions, always there and ready to help so please do not ever sit and worry. Mary xx

Thanks for the reply Marydan. 

People seem to say their arm feels weak after the op, I’m not worried about rubbing or friction, rather than  if I will actually be able to lift myself with the crutches… I’m an amputee so I need to use my crutches to get around as I don’t use an artificial leg. Oh well I guess I will find out tomorrow :confused: nurses weren’t much help as they haven’t had anyone else in the same situation as me before. Getting slightly paranoid now as my house isn’t really set up for wheelchair use and am wondering how I’ll even get to the loo if I can’t use my arm ?

Thought I’d come back to this thread just in case someone ever comes on searching for the info.

Had my lumpectomy and nodes removed on the 17th as planned. 

Ive been able to walk round just fine really…have a horrible sensation under my arm rather like shingles but apparently this is all normal. 

Today i I thought I’d go shopping round the supermarket so involved more walking than I’ve been doing lately. 

The whole of my arm pit area is now rather swollen…not any more sore or weird feeling than it has been but the walking around on crutches has definitely not had a good effect on it… can’t really put my arm down comfortably now and have to leave it out to the side a bit.

Got my follow up appointment next Thursday so I’ll see what they say about walking round but tbh I don’t think they’ll have any answers as they had no idea when I asked about it all before the op ?

Hi Daisy, 

was interested to read your posts. Well done. Two things did occur to me though which may be helpful.

im not surprised that the armpit was/is painful from what you described. However, just have a good look in the mirror to check that the suture lne isnt especially red, or oozing, as pain can indicate an infection…you probably havent got one, but best to ckeck and if you are unsure, go asap to see your practice nurse or gp.

the other thing is, when resting try and elevate your arm higher than your body Or keep that side raised higher, if you can, that will help drain any swelling and you will have been given excercises to do at some time so as to minimise any contracture of the skin, local tissue.

we mastectomy ladies are given them,  as we are more likely to have contractures in the area than yourself… Anyway, im sure you will have been told what to do . Very best of luck with thngs…

I had cancer in 12/13 armpit lymphnodes and ended up with lymphoedema( whch I cope with very well)  i also chose to have rads to the armpit as it had spread outside the nodes, which may be partly why Ive got lymphoedema, but I also suffered an infection post mastec, which didnt help.

very best wishes,

hugs, Moijanxx