cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cyberknife update - UKCK charity now launched - Info and link to pictures

14 REPLIES 14
Lemongrove

Re: Cyberknife update - UKCK charity now launched - Info and link to pictures

Jood, no sorry it's the Queen Eliabeth in Birmingham. If you're near Bristol, you may be interested to know that there is a battle going on to get CK in the South West. The Derrisford Hospital had planned to get CK, but hadn't budgeted for the cost of the building to house it. Tessa Munt MP has been campaigning in Parliament, to get it for the South West and for treatment funding, and organisations like the Ron Peberdy Cyberknife Trust, have raised a huge amount of money to help buy one for the South West.

Jood

Would that be the Queen Elizabeth hospital in Gateshead LG ?
Lemongrove

Just posting link to UKCK website for those who want to take a look

http://www.ukcknetwork.co.uk/

cornishgirl

Thanks Lemongrove ,nomatter what you say you are a star, few of us here would know about Cyberknife and the work that is /has been done in order to try and help everyone who this treatment might benifit, know there is still a long way to go, but you have been instromental in bringing this to our attension, so a huge thank you to you for all your campaigning and hard work. I shall definately be spreading the word to as many people as possible and hope all cancer patients who now know about Cyberknife and this new Charity only because of you will be doing the same.
Massive hugs to you.
Linda xx
Lemongrove

No offence taken Sarah, glad you have found information useful, and are passing it on.
Actually your radiologists response doesn't surprise me, as resistance to change in the medical profession is not unusual. I understand when Lister proposed scrubbing operating theatres with carbolic, many doctors and nurses balked because they thought carbolic was smelly and dried the skin. But some are more enlightened. My radio-Oncologist say's in ten years time, Cyberknife will be installed all over the Country and will be used routinely.

sarahlousie

No offence intended at all! I heard about cyberknife from one of your posts LJ if it was not for your post way back last year when I was first dx I would not of known anything about it, my onc certainly didn't mention it too me, I asked one of the radiologist at the hospital about cyberknife he said and I quote don't talk to me about the 'C' word! Perhaps star was the wrong word (I can be a bit away with the fairys at times I blame it on chemo brain and my artistic temperment)LOL, sorry just could not think about the right words to say, maybe grateful for bringing this to my attention. Since I have learned about cyberknife I have talked to others and informed as many people affected as possible and will continue to do so.
xsarahx
Lemongrove

I'm not a star at all . Apart from attending meetings, I have only been involved on the periphery.The real stars are the Organisations that have spent quite large sums to get the whole thing up and running for cancer patients.
The Stan Bowley Cyberknife Trust, The Ron Peberdy Cyberknife Trust, The Victoria Foundation, Karens Wish etc, etc.
What is important is that cancer patients now spread the word about the charity, so that people know about it, and can get help... so it's over to everyone else.

sarahlousie

Hi LJ,
The link worked and the photo's were fab, wanted to say a big thank you to you for all the work you've done as regards to cyberknife, your a star. Thinking of you and wishing you well.
love and light
sarahlouise xx
libby_2010

Hi Lemongrove as always so pleased that you keep us informed of all this and increasing awareness of this treatment nationally is great. I did manage to get the link J xx

NIM41

That's really good news, Lemongrove. Thank you for your work on this and raising awareness for CK. I could not access the link, will try again tomorrow.

Petal5

Managed to get the link to work on pc so it does work! Think it was because I use mobile fb on my iPad. Great photos.

Lemongrove

Oh dear thought the link might not work (me and IT don't go). If you go to Facebook and look up pics should be available to look at. PM me for my full name if you can't find me.

saffronseed

Lemongrove thanks for all the work you have done on this - its really promising that the charity has been launched and has the interest of high profile people. I did manage to look at the pictures too and will be on the look out for the webpage when its developed. xxx

Petal5

The link didn't work but just to say well done for all the work you have done on this issue. x

Lemongrove

Cyberknife update - UKCK charity now launched - Info and link to pictures

We now have a Cyberknife charity which is called The UKCK Network. The Charity was launched at the House of Commons on the 11th June, and will help raise awareness of Cyberknife stereotactic radiotherapy, provide information and guidance to those who are interested in it, and assist hospitals who want to get it with fund raising etc.
There were a number of doctors and radiologists present from the Marsden, Barts, Mount Vernon and the Queen Elizabeth in Birmingham, and the first three hospitals are now collaborating on Cyberknife research, which will hopefully speed funding. The other good bit of news is that the Queen Elizabeth Hospital only need to raise another £70,000, and hope to get Cyberknife later this year (so the midlands will have it's own CK machine). The bad news is that despite the NRIG report, which concluded that if CK treatment was more widely available it could save 3000 lives per year, machines are still standing idle because so few PCT's fund treatment.
UKCK are currently working on their website to create a forum, and I will post a link when it is up an running. The link below is to launch pictures for those who are interested. Hope it works, because I think you might need a facebook account to access them.

http://www.facebook.com/ian.bowley.39#!/media/set/?set=a.4035058991712.2170482.1138824557&type=1