68457members
360154posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCIS Stage 1 Radiotherapy to left breast, risks!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: DCIS Stage 1 Radiotherapy to left breast, risks!

Hi Jujohns, the radiotherapy team are really aware of the potential for heart problems. You will have a planning appointment where they will scan you and as part of that they evaluate the position of your heart to ensure it will not be irradiated. The radiation itself for DCIS is delivered across the breast from either side, and will avoid your heart.  At my review they showed me the pictures from my scan so I could see for myself where the field of irradiation is.  My DCIS was on the left side, but I was very reassured that every care was being taken to safeguard my long term health.  Good luck x

Highlighted

Re: DCIS Stage 1 Radiotherapy to left breast, risks!

Hi jujohns and welcome to the BCC forums where I am sure you will find support to help you through this worrying time

Please feel free to call our helpliners to talk your concern through about radiotherapy side effects, lines  are open 9-5 today (weekdays) and Saturdays 10-2  on 0808 800 6000

Here's the link to the information on this site in the meantime :

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/going-through-treatment...

Take care

Lucy BCC

Highlighted

DCIS Stage 1 Radiotherapy to left breast, risks!

I feel like I have to choose my own death sentence. I am concerened about the effect of radiation to the heart, especially as my family has a history of heart problems.  No one has asked if there is a family history, I don't know who to talk to about my concerns? Is the risk of heart problems monitored after radiotherapy?