DCIS again

I had DCIS 6 years ago and had 2 WLE plus radiotherapy.  At my annual mammogram in December they identified some calcification in the same breast and I had a biopsy done last week.  Yesterday I learned that the cells they had taken out were “not cancerous”, but were Intermediatae DCIS.  As I have already had radiotherapy on that side, the recommended treatment is mastectomy and reconstruction.  I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed by this diagnosis,especially with the controversy over whether DCIS actually develops into cancer at all.  I am a 58 year old post menopausal, but not keen to lose the breast unless I really have to.  It is also complicated by my having a heart condition (persistent AF) which has so far not responded to treatment, so really not sure what surgery my heart will be able to bear.  Unfortunately the breast team have not (yet) joined up with the cardio team to provide me with some sensible advice, despite being in the same hospital trust!  Anyone else had a recurrence of DCIS?  Also interested in recovery times for Mx as I live alone and am fairly independent.  Hospital are keen to do reconstruction with a tummy tuck.  Any advice or similar experience welcomed!

Hello Morrisbird

Welcome to the forums, this must be a very difficult time for you but you have come to the right place for support from our experienced users who I’m sure will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Thanks Jojo, that is really helpful.  At the moment I am just trying to get the cardio and breast sides to talk to each other so it is not me who has to work out what can and cannot be done.  Must have been tough being psyched up for one type of op then not being able to go ahead.   Did you know about the AF beforehand?

Hi there,like you DCIS was diagnosed and masectomy and Breast reconstruction recommended. Like you I was upset at the thought of losing my Breast especially as it was described as “pre cancerous” but I was not prepared to take any chances. So after much soul searching a finally decided that masectomy was the answer with immediate Breast reconstruction…and I have not looked back. My operation was performed on the 31st January and yes my new Breast felt “alien” but 19 days later it is now settling down. I am not know for my patience since I am a very active person but I did listen to the experts and carried out their wishes to the letter…so no housework, (this has gone down like a bomb with my husband) or heavy lifting…to be honest you won’t be able to do that anyway after the operation. I started to do my exercises before the operation just so that I knew what was expected afterwards. My breast care nurse recommended a Bra Top made by Slogi and although good I found that a front fastening bra made by ROYCE a was better and gave more support. The reconstruction. I had was using the muscle in my back. For various reason I chose not to have the “tummy tuck” but that was pure choice. yesterday I went to see my consultant and had the best news you could receive and that I will not need radiotherapy…so having the discomfort has been a small price to pay. I only have to have 1 more ooeration to reconstruct the nipple and “uplift” my other Breast. As for recovery times …no driving for 6weeks so that gives you an indication…

Hi morrisbird,
My DCIS was discovered on first mammo, biopsy showed low to intermediate grade, later WLE and pathology revealed high grade DCIS and invasive cancer. Surgeon seemed very surprised by my path results, MDT recommended biopsy of nodes and rads. Chemo for me wiuld have had marginal benefits, and had its own risks.
Hope this helps in some way. Am still terribly fatigued and struggling to regain an ordinary life.