cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCIS & IDC diagnosis & full mastectomy

10 REPLIES 10
Shamacal

Re: DCIS & IDC diagnosis & full mastectomy

Awh thanks for that Andyx! Here's hoping I'll have a similar short stay! I hope your wife is recovering well & it's great you are there to support her. Good luck with your journey together 😃
andyx

Hi, my wife was out of hospital same day after a masectomy (no recon) and SNB. They did insist on a "responsible adult" being with her for 24 hours, somehow managed to persude them I fitted the bill 🙂

Good luck with the OP and hope you're out quick!

Shamacal

Thanks gazzlyn. This diagnosis is showing me I don't have to do everything on my own. It's ok to need & ask for help xxx
Shamacal

Thanks Sarah. I've got to get earplugs for sure otherwise ill never rest in hospital. It's good to know you were out after 3 days. I'm dreading being in hospital & away from my little girl. If there was a fast forward button I'd would gladly skip these next few days. But thankful I'm being seen to so quick. It'll be a relief to know the cancer has gone. Although I know there could be further treatment. I'm just taking to take a step at a time. Big hugs to you, I hope you are recovering well xxx
Shamacal

Thanks Lynne. I hope you are recovering well any both bouts of surgery. I'm so independent I know that will be my biggest struggle after surgery. I have good family & friends around me to support me. I will take all the help offered to get back on my feet again. Wishing you well in your journey xx
gazzlyn

Just wanted to wish you all the very best for your surgery Sharon x I think a lot of good advise has already been said by others but I agree - ANY offers of help grab it, be kind to yourself and don't put yourself under too much pressure xx
JETS

Ps meant to say I've delayed any recon also c
JETS

Hi Sharon
I had full masectomy on 12 jan and was in hosp for 2 nights 3 full days in the end - if u go to the going through treatment part of the site under surgery there is a really helpful thread what to take into hospital x but earplugs are helpful!
Make sure they know u on your own at home - I am too but with teenagers - but has the district nurse arranged to come visit me which was great x
Lots hugs
Sarah
loobylou111

Hi Sharon, 

Welcome to the breast buddie site.

Firstly, im sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis and sincerely hope your forthcoming operation goes smoothly. 

Gosh a mum to a 3yr old and a full time job, you certainly are a busy bee! All I can say is every time someone offers help, grab it!  You are going to feel a bit washed out after your surgery andcwill need to be kind to yourself and rest up as often as you can. 

Im in a totally different situation, being a mum of 3 (but all of them grown up) and having a 30hr a week job and having just had 2 operations in the past month. All my surgery has left me feeling quite fatigued and a bit depressed. 

Fortunately we all react differently and hopefully you will fly through this part of your journey to survive this dammed awful disease. 

Good luck and sending you hugs and good wishes,

Take care,

Love Lynne xxx Smiley Happy

June_BCC

Hello Shamacal

Welcome to the forums.  I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis, the first few weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with your diagnosis and treatment.
As well as the support you will receive on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early...

You may also like to talk things through with one of the helpline staff, they are there to offer emotional support as well as provide information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Shamacal

DCIS & IDC diagnosis & full mastectomy

I was diagnosed on 2 Jan & having surgery on 28 jan. I've opted for delayed reconstruction as I don't want to delay any treatment I may need or complicate things. I'm a single mum of a 3 year old girl & work full time. There is no sign of spread to my lymph nodes but surgery will confirm this. I've taken a positive mental attitude towards my situation but how can I maintain this after surgery? Any tips on handling being in hospital for 4/5 nights would be great. Sharon x