cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCIS intermediate diagnosis today

Jobey68

Re: DCIS intermediate diagnosis today

Hi Tigony, 

I can only echo what has already been said, your consultant was so wrong to be negative , my cancer was invasive but the news was delivered in an upbeat manner and I felt confident they would get me sorted which they have! 😁

I had all my Radiotheraphy session after work , they were great at trying to accommodate this and although I could have gone anytime as my employer was so understanding I felt the need to keep my days to routine and I was able to work through it all and felt fine , tiredness and skin reactions are about the only side effects of rads , there is  nothing drastic for the vast majority of us. These early days are the hardest but you will get through it and as you have already found there is plenty of support here for you xx Jo 

Mumoftwo

Oh Tigony, we have all been exactly where you are so we understand totally how you feel. A year ago I had just received my diagnosis and my world just fell apart. I only told those closest to me and had to tell my closest co-workers too, one of whom is a "hugger" so I had to tell her that I didn't need hugs, just everyone to carry on as normal. I bumped into a friend whilst out shopping who had heard I was ill (the good old grapevine was buzzing!) and when she asked how I was doing I just burst into tears, And I did that a lot! But as things started moving and I had my surgery to remove the lump, then a re-excision (due to unclear margins because of an area of dcis), then 20 radiotherapy sessions and finally Tamoxifen for the next however many years, I am now at the end of that particular journey and my life is "normal" again. 2 weeks ago I had my first annual check which was all ok.  You will get there and be dishing out advice based on your own experience to others with questions in no time at all, I promise!  

Incidentally, your comment about siblings not being in touch struck a chord with me as one of my closest friends only contacted me twice during all my treatment which at the time felt a little hurtful especially as friends of friends were sending lots of messages, I guess people just don't know what to do or say when faced with something as serious as cancer.

There will be light at the end of the tunnel before you know it, you just can't see it yet!

Take care. Michelle xx

Tigony

At the moment, your words on this forum are really the only thing that is helping me cope. There is a vast and echoing silence from my siblings, two of whom know I am going through tests. Neither of whom have bothered to ask if I am all right. My friends are stepping up - but you know that thing where you feel curled into yourself like a snail? Not wanting at all to disclose a weakness? That. So you ladies are a godsend, and a blessing. Although I am not in a position to offer support to anyone else at the moment - that will have to wait until I know what I am talking about - I am more grateful than I can say for all your kind words. Yes, sad sometimes, but also trying to feel lucky that it was caught early due to my strange uneasy feeling about my right breast.

Patriciamay

Hi Tigony I hope you are ok, and obviously sorry you are here.  Just a couple of things which I hope will assure you and know you not alone.  I never told my Son about my BC  he knows I have been having treatment, but I have not told him I have had a low grade cancer.  you need  to do wha is best, and that work d for my family.    I have been lucky enough to work through all my treatment it all depends on the individual.  Listen to your body and what your medical team say.  I cycle, jog and go on the train to my radiotherapy, fully appreciate that that isn't for everyone but it is doable if your body will let you and its your preferred approach.  Good luck. Xx

Steph J

Hi Tigony 

It is very confusing at first ... and sometimes the story changes a bit at each apointment . But it will all become clearer and hopefully then you will not feel so bogged down with the uncertainty . Its the unknown and waiting for results that gets to us all the most . Once management plan is in place you will feel better . 

If youre a tough cookie ha ..  your words not mine .. youll probably embrace the journey and get on with it ., and I think youll have a good attittude . However its ok to be worried and have sad moments it wont break your shell lol . 

The advice from Michelle was good ..fab in fact ... its great how the girlies come up with answers and advice isnt it ? Iv learnt so much on here and even though sometimes the girls vent and rant about their feelings and experiences in the main its a very positive place ,  its unbelievable really how it is . Anyway take care , big hugs xx 

Tigony

Dear Michelle, that is so helpful and encouraging about the timing of the radiotherapy. If I can do it early in the morning or after work, it should not affect things. I am quite physically tough so hopeful to be able to manage this. The hospital is a 10 minute walk from my front door too, so convenient. First thing is getting through surgery which I hope will be soon, and then everything will be clearer. Thank you so very much for taking the trouble to reply. It all helps. x

Tigony

Dear Steph, I am so glad to hear your good news and so grateful for your beautiful message. I am taking one day at a time, and putting my son's wellbeing first today. Making arrangements for him really. I am much encouraged already by messages on here, and am sure it will help. At the moment I am a bit confused, and just riding it. Lots of hugs to you too.

Mumoftwo

Hi Tigony, just thought I would reassure you regarding radiotherapy, at my hospital I was asked what was the most convenient time for my sessions, so if your hospital is flexible you may be able to have late afternoon/early evening sessions to fit in with work.  I was very lucky that I only had a 15 minute daily drive and I managed to work all through it, I didn't find it particularly tiring, but I guess that will differ person to person.  

I have 2 boys, they were 14 and 10 at the time and we did tell them when we found out it was cancer, purely as it was easier to then go off for appointments at the hospital without making excuses as to where I was going!  They were very upset for the first couple of days but were actually fine after that probably as thngs went on pretty much as normal. But I understand why you wouldn't want the worry to affect your son's studies at the moment, I would probably have done the same had the boys been older.

As the other ladies have already said, dcis is very treatable and some women have it without ever knowing and it never develops the ability to start spreading, so your treatment is purely preventative.

Good luck with everything. Michelle xx

Steph J

Hi Tigony 

first off so sorry that you are on here , but as sad as it is you really have come into a world of support . As youve already been told it is a shame your Consultant is giving out such negative messages . DCIS is treatable , and curable . 

I was diagnosed with low grade DCIS and am recovering from mastectomy and reconstruction . I was incredibly fortunate that the final histology showed no other DCIS or nasties and I do not need any further treatment other than yearly mammograms .

The point is Tigony that when I was first diagnosed I could never have dreamt that it could all be removed and the outcome could be so positive .....so dont let the Consultant pull you down the negative path ...take the other better positive one . The ladies on here will show you that there is light !

Im hearing what youre saying about your job and your son and there is no right  answer for you . I have no words of wisdom to offer , I guess if the job is offered then it must be meant for you ..and maybe you will have to trust your instincts in dealing with the situation when it arises . Im guessing if youre going through a divorce youre prob all over the place anyway ..and this is another almighty blow which you probably feel you didnt deserve ...and it sucks !!! ...Big time . And trust me I get all of that ...but somehow we ( you ) will get through it all . It might sound crazy but you will get a lot of comfort from coming on here ... and if you feel a connection with any of the ladies in particular you can always private message too . You are being listened to ..and lots of hugs n love is being sent . Steph xxx

Tigony

It is reassuring, but nothing has reassured me like your messages. x

Jill1998
Community Champion

Glad I have helped ,when I was first diagnosed the messages I got from other ladies on the forum helped save my sanity and made me feel far less alone .Have a look at the information on the main breast cancer care site about DCIS it will reassure you .
Tigony

Thank you! My son has gone out to be with my other son, and I am alone in the house. I think without your messages today I would have sunk very low. But a combination of your blessed kindness and a good job interview have made me feel fine. 

Jill1998
Community Champion

Basically the treatment you are having is preventative,DCIS has the ability to develop into invasive breast cancer if not treated.Coming off HRT is a bugger but sensible .They may offer you Tamoxifen or other hormone treatment if you are post menopause to help prevent further DCIS developing which has its own challenges.Crack open the gin ,you will be fine !!
Tigony

Oh you lovely! I didn't get that impression at all. I have been  having the absolute willies here. Trying to smile in front of my son, while wanting to howl and drink gin and behave in a reckless manner! It is very early too, only found because I felt weirdly uneasy and asked for a mammogram, and thought I had found a lump, which wasn't a lump just normal lumpiness. The most annoying thing is coming off HRT, which I sometimes think is the only thing keeping me going through all the madness.

It is intermediate, but he told me 'low' is very rare. But he didn't give me the impression it was completely curable. Thank you. I do feel better.

Jill1998
Community Champion

DCIS is completely curable .Occasionally they can find tiny amounts of invasive cancer when they remove the area of concern but the treatment is the same sugery and radiotherapy.and outcomes are very good .Some people manage to work through all or parts of their radiotherapy treatment .It does get tiring and if you have to travel to a hospital that is not local it can be time consuming .Is it worth being honest with you new employer ? if you really need to work and they can be flexible ,it will be hard but you can manage it if you really have to .
Tigony

He looked so gloomy and the continual sorries got on my nerves. I didn't think DCIS was too bad and reasonably curable?. The treatment is surgery, followed by radiotherapy. This is the awkward bit because I am meant to be getting a new job and need three weeks of daily radio, but will just have to manage this somehow. I am worried about money and letting my son down as I have been out of work for a couple of months, as I am unsupported single mum. But had a job interview on the phone today, and it looks quite hopeful. 

Jill1998
Community Champion

Not very well handled by your doctor by the sound of it.The message he should have been giving you is that this is very treatable,do you know what treatment you are having ?
Tigony

Absolutely agree. I have only been here less than a day and got benefit from the kindness. The doctor who spoke to me yesterday was really discouraging and kept saying, Sorry. Anyway, son is revising next door for Mocks and really happy. Can't possibly tell him or my other two who are in their twenties. Not until after surgery and so on anyway.

Jill1998
Community Champion

My son was doing his AS levels when I was diagnosed and I didn't feel it was fair to give him the additional worry so kept it very quiet ,told only a few close friends and family .I found that only people who had been through similar really understood which is why this forum is so helpful .
Tigony

Thank you so much, Jill. Your reply has helped me a lot. I feel very isolated. I can't tell my children, because my youngest is 16 and going through GCSEs. Have only been able to tell a couple of close friends as my own family is useless. I feel this forum will be wonderful.

Jill1998
Community Champion

Oh Tigony,not a good time for you !!Never a "convenient" time to have cancer though ! The good news is you have a very treatable type of cancer and very likely you will be absolutely fine ,lots of support and advice on this forum .Let us know how you get on.Jill.
Tigony

DCIS intermediate diagnosis today

Hello all, thanks for this forum. After two biopsies, they found DCIS and I was informed this afternoon. What can I say? Well, just have to get through this. Trying to get divorced at the same time, so some stress.