Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCIS - mascetomy due with reconstruction

10 REPLIES 10
Jill1998
Community Champion

Re: DCIS - mascetomy due with reconstruction

Glad you are on the other side and that you are being well looked after.Fingers crossed for your results . Jill
cookiefairy

Thanks, yes op went well, can't believe how I am up and about, although hindered by the drain ( due out tomorrow). Obviously the drugs and sunshine are helping as well as the huge support of hubbie, friends and family. Silly thing like my sister coming round to wash my hair, a friend sending a box of things she knows I love (teas etc), a phone call from someone you know is really busy give such a boost. Trying to remain positive while waiting for the results of lymphnode tests.....  what is, is and will have to be dealt with!! 

Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Cookiefairy,welcome to the forum.Sorry you haven't had a response before your op.Hope you are not feeling too sore and are being well looked after.You can get lots of advice and support in the going through treatment sections of the site .Jill.
cookiefairy

Hi, i hope you are getting along well  you sound positive, which is half the battle

I am in similar situation, although a month behind you. I am going in on 20th for a mx and implant reconstruction. A bit of a shock as came back from holiday to 2 missed recall appointments following a routine mamogram. It is strange that you are feeling fine, told you are in perfect health ie bmi, blood pressure etc etc, but are about to go through such an evasive op to remain healthy. I am just so thankful for the NHS mamogram programme and wonderful treatment to date. Trying to remain positive, but had so little sleep since diagnosis I am shattered.... I too am eating my body weight in chocolate and have joked that they will be confused when i go in on Thursday that I have gained so much weight since my pre-op!! Just want to get over this 'blip' as I call in and move on.....

Gingernut1

Thanks  l had op with reconstruction. Now at home resting. Drain recently removed. Due to location of dressings I can't get washed properly but at least I had shower and hair was before I went home. Now waiting to attend dressings appointment and follow up appointment. Bra hospital provided is feeling tight. Not sure if cause is implant or me eating meals/chocolates that friends have kindly provided combined with not doing hardly any exercise.

Coralie Stephney

Hiya. Good luck with your surgery gingernut. At least you dont have to wait around or pussyfoot around like I did. I had 4 operations, including the Masectomy which I wish I had in the first place. I had my operation on 31st January and now feel great following a DIEP RECONSTRUCTION. You said you were too slim for DIEP.Have you also looked at using your buttock. I've heard they have also been very successful for slim people. I never felt any pain or illl with the DCIS, but i did feel stressed until it was out of me. The relief. Good luck with treatment.
Gingernut1

Thanks that is good advice. But it is learning to cope when you know that a recovery period has to take place and you know for a while that you may not be able to some of the things that you will normally be doing

Since there is no notable symptons I felt fine.  The worst pain I felt so was after the Core Biopsy. The consultant did say that it was contained in the ducts. Needing a mascetomy did come as bit of a shock but I am OK  about it now. x

lizred

Hi Gingernut

I had a large area of high grade DCIS needing mx - it was only picked up through my first routine mammogram and I had no physical symptoms and felt fine - I think because the cancer is contained within the ducts it doesn't really affect the rest of your body and therefore how you are feeling. Apart from a couple of days off when I was first diagnosed and time for appointments I worked up until the day before my mx op but then had quite a bit of time off afterwards because everything caught up with me emotionally and mentally.

Good luck with the next steps in your treatment plan, just follow how your body, energy levels etc feel rather than thinking of sick / well x

Gingernut1

Hi Steph J

I have high grade DCIS which has been picked up by my last mammogram.  I found out on13 Feb 2017. I felt well on 12 February. I still feel well. It is hard to believe that I have cancer (non evasive) when I am feeling so well. ( I probably feel worse after the op)

Because the DCIS has been located in 2 places with the second being picked up by ultra sound. It made the mascetomy necessary.

Hopwe you are doing well xx

Steph J

Hi Gingernut 1 

Sorry you are on here but welcome . Iv read your thread but Im a bit confused with the last part " i dont feel ill ... What grade of DCIS have you been diagnosed with if you dont mind me asking . 

And yes youre right about the waiting ...it gets to us all xx

Gingernut1

DCIS - mascetomy due with reconstruction

I am due to have a mascetomy on 14 March. waiting to receive letter. I also having a reconstruction with implant. Not my first choice but it was the only option open to me because the plastic surgeon couldn't get enough tissue from elsewhere. apparently I am too thin!!

The DCIS was picked up through the age related mammogram. It was a bit of a shock at the time especially being advised a mascetomy was necessary. Waiting to get it over and done with is the worse part of this.

I don't feel ill but having non evasive cance techinally mean that you are especially if it could end up killing you if you do nothing about it

So far the support I had has been great