338411posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCIS- which reconstruction option - LD v Implant

13 REPLIES 13

Re: DCIS- which reconstruction option - LD v Implant

Hi ladies,  thanks for asking that question charlie70. Ive been told my lump with involved tissue is too big for a lumpectomy, so I will lose my left breast.  They're still deciding what order to treat me in, had another biopsy instead of results last monday..

But... this is a very interesting thread. I know its differant for everyone but the replies here are so helpful. its the first time ive dared think about surgery in sny depth.

I especially appreciate the comments on physical abilities, im a gardener with my own small buisness so the physical ability to do stuff is frightening me a little.  Your replies at least give me an idea of normal 

Thank you all . 

Hugs to you charlie xxxx

Xx 

I had implant and mesh. Also quite sporty, small busted, but operation was on left side and im left handed.
year ago on 29th October. Just returned from outward bound week with school. Could climb as no back muscle cut. Could do archery, and canoe. Fab.
could go topless on beach as quite even just nipple lifeless, but would be with all 3 ops

That is what i had done.
one year on, pleased with result. As scar at the side, could sit topless on beach...just don't look to closely at the nipple.
don't need lipo filling either.
one year on still feels oodd when lifting heavy stuff, but if i,d ha back op possibly couldn,t lift much!

Hi can only comment on the strattice with implant but am generally pleased with my recon 6 months on, it looks good in clothes and not too bad out, especially as just had fat trasfer to fill in dent above implant and uplift on good boob - as was big difference in new and old. One week on from that op and not too bad boob wise but thighs are so painful from fat transfer. Recovery from original mx and recon was not too bad driving at 6 weeks and back to work full time 7 weeks in, worked fro home from 4 weeks in. It takes a bit of getting used to as does feel incredibly alien - like a bowling ball has been strapped to your chest but you get used to it eventually though will never feel like part of you. Had nipple removed and had planned to do the nipple sharing from good boob but can't see myself having my good boob cut up again so will probably just live with it. You will need help with housework as you won't be able to Hoover for 12 weeks or pull washing from the machine, or push shopping trolleys! But you get there in the end.

Ihave been diagnosed with DCIS intermediate stage.  I had sentinel lymph node biopsies last Friday and await results.  I have been advised mastectomy with reconstruction.  I have opted for strattice surgery scheduled for 19 September.  I too feel indecisive and hoping that i have made the right decision. 

After looking at the LD v implant it seems that I would need an implant with either surgery and thats why I have opted for strattice.  Still worried if Ive made the right decision but don't want to have surgery to anywhere else if I dont need to....?

Has anybody got any further advice please????

Thanks charlie, if you want any info re implant op happy to help

Hi Yvie thanks for your message. Glad the op has gone well for you. I have seen another consultant and looks like I am a good candidate for implant so I think I may well go with that as, like you, I don't want to have more surgery than necessary. At the moment it looks like I can probably keep the nipple and don't need any uplift on my good boob so hopefully I will get a similar outcome that I am happy with. Good luck with your recovery and make sure you take it easy.

Hi Charlie I had option of ld with implant or implant with strattice, with uplift to good boob. Went for implant and strattice as wanted least amount of surgery and would need implant with both. Had the uplift surgery and fat transfer to recon on Thursday, will not be having any more surgery whatever the outcome of this latest op. Had good boob lifted and slightly decreased in volume to match with recon. Was going to have nipple sharing reconstruction but cannot see myself having this nipple cut up again , so going to look at stick on ones. Whatever route you choose it takes a while. The implant looks good in clothes and now similar height breasts not too bad . Good luck

Oh that sounds good. I have seen some of the scars done like that. Thanks again!

The scar on my back is not something that I ever think about.  It is very neat, and sits underneath my bra strap.  These days it is completely white and not at all noticeable.  I do some stretches every morning that helps to keep everything supple.

Hi Road Runner thanks very much for replying to my post. That's really good to hear about your LD op. It is quite surprising how you can manage without the muscle and the rest of your muscles compensate. I play hockey and love skiing and cycling so keen to get back to those activities when I can. I do worry a bit about the aesthetics of my back too with the scar which I could avoid with implants so need to weigh that up too. Good luck with the weightlifting! X

Hi Charlie70,

I had an LD with implant, together with an implant in my good side too, so pretty much like you except mine was a delayed recon.  I was 44 at diagnosis too, and had the recon three years later as I was waiting till after all my active treatment ended which included chemo rads and herceptin.

I am sporty, in that I run and swim plus go to the gym.  I can honestly say that there have never ever been any adverse affects from the recon.  The only issues I have ever had are to do with the node clearance, and so I am always very careful with my arm to try to prevent lymphoedema.  Having had the mx three years before the recon I know that any weakness in my arm is down to the node clearance only. 

These days I can do 10 minutes at level 10 on a rowing machine (I built this up very slowly) and can swim 76 lengths front crawl (ditto).  I have also recently started doing some deadlifting using fairly light weights. 

My plastic surgeon said that the only thing I might have problems with was if I did rock climbing - the LD muscle is used in the pulling up movement - but I don't rock climb so that's not a problem.  I have never been aware of any weakness from the recon that wasn't already there from the mx.

Hello Charlie70

Welcome to the forums, this must be a very difficult time for you but you have come to the right place for support from our experienced users who I’m sure will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

DCIS- which reconstruction option - LD v Implant

Hi there- I am 44 and have been recently diagnosed with intermediate DCIS and have been offered mastectomy and immediate reconstruction. My current surgeon is recommending LD with implant and augmentation of my other breast to match. I have read quite a lot about the recon techniques and also read the national audit on recon methods - I feel I need to understand all my options and the pros and cons of each method open to me. My worry is that I am quite sporty and active and I have read that taking the LD muscle can weaken your muscle strength and also there is a risk of chronic pain. I am quite slim with a small chest and so I am leaning towards implants at the moment as at least my back will still be in tact with no risk of long term problems or indeed a scar and indentation on my back. I can accept that aesthetically an implant won't look as good as recon with your own tissue and that there are risks of infection / rejection etc. but at the moment don't feel that I can take the risk of having the back operation. It seems too big a price to pay to me. My breast surgeon is clearly very experienced and highly thought of and he is much more relaxed about the LD operation and part of me wants to trust his expert judgement. I am going to speak to another surgeon to get another perspective but it would be really good to hear from anyone who had a similar dilemma or what your thoughts are on the different recon options and how they worked for you. X