DCIS

Hi Everyone,

This is my first visit here.  I’ve recently had a WLE which came back with T1 G2 NO ER+ve HER2-ve.  However there was also both some low and some high grade DCIS which has been described to me as ‘pre-cancer’.  I’ve been told this type of ‘pre-cancer’ cannot always be detected by mamogram/ultrasound/mri and the suspicion is that there may be further DCIS as yet undetected.  There is a strong history in my family (Mum, Mum’s Sister & Maternal Grandmother all had breast cancer).  The surgeon is now suggesting that I should consider bi lateral mastectomy with reconstruction based on family history and that some DCIS has already been detected and it seems that it has been caught before it’s spread elsewhere.

WOW, still reeling a little from this as I seem to have progressed from needing a lumpectomy for a small cancer to bilateral mastectomy within a couple of weeks!!!

I’ve been given the option of reconstructions, either using my own tissue or implants and strattice.  My query here is whether anyone has already had some reconstruction and whether you are happy with the results (I’ve seen some really upsetting pictures!).  Think I’ve been given all the information but am being left to decide which type of reconstruction to go for but how can I choose when I have no medical background or experience on which to base a decision?  The surgeon seems reluctant to make a ‘recommendation’ and I guess that’s as a result of the blame society we now live in.  If there is to be little or no ‘feeling/sensation’ in the reconstructed area why go through what I understand may involve several procedures to get a result?  Is it worth going through the reconstruction bit?

I did suffer a bit of an emotional meltdown yesterday as I don’t know where to look for advice.  Can anyone make any suggestions which might enable me to make a more informed decision?

If you got this far, thanks very much for your time.

Eazyglider.

Dear Eazyglider

Welcome to the forum.  I’m sorry you have suddenly such major decisions to make.  I’m sure other forum members will soon be along to offer some support. 

You may be interested on our one to one support service.  This service offers one to one telephone support with a trained volunteer who has a personal experience of breast cancer.  You may be able to speak to a volunteer who has had a specific treatment/procedure.  Here’s the link for more information:

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services/someone-talk/one-one-support

And there’s also our helpline for information and support.  They are open from 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The number is 0808 800 6000

Take care

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator