1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIEP - Recovery Time - Do's and Don'ts?

3 REPLIES 3
spookymoo

Re: DIEP - Recovery Time - Do's and Don'ts?

Hi Andie Thanks for your post. Pleased to hear you are doing so well. I am feeling a lot better now thanks. I started driving last week (post op x 4 weeks). I saw my PS and asked him and he said as long as I felt ok and confident and safe he felt it was fine. I checked with my insurance company and they said as long as he had given me the all clear they were happy too. So have been driving a week and no problems. Feel great that I am actually independent again and able to get about on my own steam.
I am also doing housework, washing, ironing hoovering etc. All no problems. The only thing I am not doing is Gardening (but didn't do this before either! haha!). Have been a bit lax on the exercises though. I had to look after my left arm for 2 weeks and was told not to anything like lifting it above my arm, etc, This has caused a bit of stiffness so am trying to get that sorted now (but it was painful there anyway as I have had full clearance in February - bah!).
Are you pleased with your recon and result? I am amazed that they can do this and the cosmetic result is much better that I anticipated. Having said that, I would prefer not to have a cancer diagnosis which leads to losing a boob (or two) in the first place - but you can't have everything you want in life! Hope you continue to do well. all best wishes Em x
AndieJ

Hi Em
I'm afraid I'm not as far down the road as you. I am only 3 weeks post op, but doing well, missing driving too, but not ready for that. My plan was when I felt ready to drive I would phone my insurance people & check if I needed to wait the full 6 weeks. I think I did that when I had my c section & it was fine. They generally want to know if you can do an emergency stop & swerve.
I wasn't given any dos & don't list, so far I have to sleep on my back & wear my bra for 8 weeks, dont do too much and do my exercises.
So pleased you are doing so well after a shaky start
Andie 🙂 xx
Sam_BCC

Hi spookymoo

Whilst you're waiting for the other users to reply with their experiences you may find it helpful to read the BCC publication 'your operation and recovery' It contains information on recovery from surgery. If you would like to order a copy or read this on line just follow the link below:-

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/your-operation-recovery-bcc1...

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

spookymoo

DIEP - Recovery Time - Do's and Don'ts?

HI Everyone
I had an MX and Immediate DIEP recon two weeks on 7th May. I had major complications with the flap as the blood supply kept failing which required a futher three emergency operations to fix. I got out of hospital Monday 13th May. I have a list of things that I can't do and timescales on them. I am trying to do my best to "be good" and refrain from doing activities. But I live in a rural area and have school - age children and am struggling with not able to drive. My note says a minimum of 5-6 weeks for no driving, no hoovering, no heavy laundry, no lifting, no gardening etc. It doesn't say anything about light housework (i.e. cleaning bathrooms, sweeping or ironing). Can anyone give me their experiences on their recovery time post DIEP and when people started to drive and get back to normal? I really don't want to jepordise anything, especially as I had so many problems, but apart from feeling tired I feel quite well and am getting frustrated - especially as people are fussing over me and treating me like I am totally disabled and incapable of even making a cup of tea for myself! Thanks for all your help. Em x