cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

DIEP operation

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

Re: DIEP operation

I know we can't mention names, but thay's the same consultant that I saw. He was supposed to do my diep, but on the day, he wasn't there and a registrar did it. I'm going back next Friday to arrange having my old boob lifted, and nipple reconstruction on the new boob. No idea who I'm seeing!

I guess you'll have to wait until you see the new consultant to find out why they might not do your op. It's horrible, so I hope you get an appointment quickly!
Highlighted

Hi

I had an appointment at QVH, when I got there the consultant told me he is retiring in 8 weeks and that he would contact one of his colleagues, he wrote to my GP and me stating he would contact one of his colleagues BUT he wasunsure if he would do it, I am MANIC  I had high grade DCIS  and Bi Lat mx, also oral cancer, my cousin had breast and oral caner and she died because the cancer went to her other breast undetected, I did not have a braca test - was not aware of it, now I am worrying I am going to be refused the bi lat diep, does anyone know if and why a consultant would refuse me this surgery.   HAve implants twice and they both capsulated.   Two other consultants told me to have the implants removed and have NOTHING

Highlighted

Thank you very much for your reply, i can now see light at the end of the tunnel. I hope everything works out ok for you.

Heather

Highlighted

Recovery was slow. The stitching round my new breast ruptured after 3 weeks and septic blood spewed out, causing me to go back into hospital for a few more days. Since then, I haven't had any more complications. Like you, I made a point of walking every day. Started off with about 200m, and have now worked up, very gradually, to a couple of miles.
I worked full time (40-50 hrs a week) before the op, and have started a staged return. Went back at week 7 and just did 16 hours. This week, week 9, I've done 22 hours. Hoping to work back up to 40 hours before Christmas. Luckily, my bosses are happy for me to do this in my own time and have kept me on full pay right through it. I really feel for anyone who can't afford to take the time off work, because this op really does give you a new lease of life.
I didn't expect to feel so knackered for so long after the op, but it was definitely worth it. I would recommend it to anyone.
And yes, I wore support knickers and support bra for 6 weeks. After that, I started wearing normal underwear again, but still wear a soft "t-shirt bra" in bed because I'm paranoid about pulling my boob when I turn over and damaging it. I doubt if it's possible this far down the line, but I ferl safer wearing something!
Highlighted

Thank you for your reply, i feel really disheartened, when i first came out of hospital, 6 days after op, i started walking a little furthur each day, i hadt to go back to the hospital the following week by train to Manchester, i am from Shrewsbury and they dont do this op any where close by. After my appointment i felt really exhausted and i felt i had gone backwards instead of forwards, i havnt felt great since, no improvement from day to day at all. i have had slight Nicrosis in my breast but that feels ok, just a little sore. But my stomach is really getting me down. Did you wear support nickers? how far are you managing to walk? Part of me feels, what have i done, but hopefully it will all be worth it in the long run.

Thanks again.

Heather

Highlighted

Yes, it feels like that for quite a while, but it does ease up. Have they told you to massage it regularly? It helps the fat to settle back into place over time. My op was 9 and a half weeks ago and I'm still feeling that knotty sensation but it has eased a lot.
Highlighted

Re: DIEP operation 3weeks on

Hello I have just had Died/muscle sparing tram surgery. I am now 3 weeks post op. My stomach is so uncomfortable, I can cope with the tightness but it's the uncomfortableness from inside, like a knot is being pulled tighter and tighter, almost like contraction pains. Did you experience this? 

Thanks 

Heather 

Highlighted

Hello I have just had Died/muscle sparing tram surgery. I am now 3 weeks post op. My stomach is so uncomfortable, I can cope with the tightness but it's the uncomfortableness from inside, like a knot is being pulled tighter and tighter, almost like contraction pains. Did you experience this? 

Thanks 

Heather 

Highlighted

Hi SJB.  It's now been just over 4 months since my op at East Grinstead.  My recovery went well.  I was determined to remain fairly active during my sick leave (because my job is fairly active and I did not want to encounter fitness problems when returning to work), so as soon as I came out of hospital I made a point of walking every day - very little at first, then increasing my distance until I was doing 4 or 5 miles a day.  I also made sure I did my physio exercises every day (in fact I am still doing them, as my arm has still not regained full mobility and the muscles on that side remain a little tight).  Apart from the walk though (always done first thing in the morning), I did take it very easy for the remainder of the day, sitting at home reading, knitting or watching tv, maybe doing a bit of light cooking or going out for a quick supermarket shop, but that's it - and felt that was just the right amount of activity for me. 

I did develop a seroma on the side of my new boob - and this was drained at East Grinstead during a routine post-op appointment with my surgeon.  The skin never really sprung back, and therefore the small area where the seroma was, now looks like a deflated balloon. I expect/hope this will be remedied when I go in for the uplift surgery on the other breast.

Last month, after the go-ahead from my surgeon - I finally started swimming again - and there is no doubt that my abdomen feels much stronger.  I also went back to work - my stamina levels have decreased but it's nothing I can't handle. 

The scars across my abdomen and around my new breast are really visible but I am applying E45 cream and/or Bio-oil twice a day.

All in all I am fairly pleased with the op, but will only be 100% satisfied once my two boobs look the same and are at the same height (!) and also once I regain full sensation to the new boob (still fairly numb).  

Highlighted

I'd love to hear any updates on this. I had a DIEP flap reconstruction at East Grinstead just 17 days ago. I had 4 nights in hospital, in the Margaret Duncombe ward, coming home on Bank Holiday Monday, where I have rested ever since.
I knew the recovery would be 6-12 weeks before I had it done, but couldn't imagine how I'd be during the recovery period.
On the whole, I feel fine, so long as I rest. If I try to be active, I pay for it. It is hard to get the balance right.
I am extremely pleased with my new breast. It has s superb shape, and looks really natural with the nipple prosthesis, though I don't intend to use that until the dressings have all gone. I can't wait to have the other one lifted to match it.
I had to wait a total of 25 months after my treatment finished, but it was definitely worth it!
Highlighted

Hi Looby.  I had a mastectomy + DIEP at Queen Victoria Hospital in East Grinstead but that was only 10 days ago (3 May) so unfortunately I cannot answer those particular questions. As far as I am aware East Grinstead carry out a high amount of such operations each year so hopefully someone who went through it a while back can answer soon.  

During my 5-day stay on the ward, one of the patients in my bay had gone through the operation several months ago (and was now back just for a couple of days - for "symmetrising" and cutting off of the dog-ear on the tummy) and seemed perfectly happy and content with the whole experience (no complications etc).  She told me it had taken her 3 months to recover her abdomen strength fully, which is exactly what I have been told all along by all the professionals (BC nurses, surgeons etc).  

The way I see it regarding returning to work, it all depends on what you do, doesn't it?  Part of my work involves being on my feet for most of the day, carrying heavy containers back and forth, bending over huge deep sinks, etc - I'll obviously won't be doing that for a long while!  Part of it however is just desk/computer work, admin, paperwork etc - and am already back to doing that (just making sure I keep taking breaks to move arund and do my physio exercises 3 or 4 times a day).

Highlighted

Hi Looby52, 

I am sure some of our users will be along to share their experiences and offer a friendly ear. You can also find out more on our page about DIEP reconstruction which you can find here. 

In the meantime please do call our helpline at 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk to you about DIEP operations and any questions you may have about work. The opening hours are below.

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Monday and Wednesday 5pm-7pm,
Saturday, 9am-1pm 

Best wishes,

Lizzy 

Highlighted

DIEP operation

Has anyone had the DIEP operation at East Grinstead Hospital? I wanted to know if there were any complications and how long it took until you could go back to work?