DIEP reconstruction & BMI

Hi I’m due to see the surgeon on Wednesday to discuss a DIEP reconstruction. I’m worried that he will tell me I have to lose weight first because I have heard that you have to have a certain BMI (Body massindex) before they will do the op. I have been trying to lose weight for the last month without success and I can only put it down to Tamoxifen keeping my weight right up there. I’m not a very large person. About a size 14 but only 5’ 1". I would like to hear from anyone who has had a DIEP recon and what your BMI had to be if there was any stipulation. Thanks Debs x

I had reconstruction in September and have developed a hernia close to the abdominal scar,has anyone else had this happen?I’m really pleased with my new breast,just waiting for a nipple tattoo but the hernia develpoing has been a bit of a blow.I remember sneezing not long after my op and think that may have caused it initially.If anyone has had this happen how long was the surgery to repair it?I really hoped to have seen the end of hospitals!

Hi I had this surgery in Sseptember 2011,the only concern seemed to be that I had sufficient flesh to use for the new breast,no mention of BMI.As you’ll see above, I’ve developed complications in the form of a hernia since - don’t sneeze after your op! I’m really pleased with the result but it took along while to get over the op.Good luck.
Judith

I had problems with BMI but was a lot overweight in end still done op once I had shown I was trying to loose weight, however I wish I had lost more as I would have had a better result.Oh no a hernia, sounds awful, I have been really nervous about this, I’m 12 weeks post op and have a massive cold so sneezing and coughing lots but tryint to hold my tummy. Hope someone can help soon with repair time etc x

I have just had mx and immediate DIEP and my BMI was over 30 (I am just under 5 foot and size 16 or 18)! You have to have surplus fat or you have nothing for them to use for the reconstruction! I think they are more concerned with general health really - I would let them worry about it - unless they have told you specifically to lose weight I would just eat as healthily as you can and keep up your normal exercise level - my surgeon was actually pleased to hear that I led a sedentary life as it meant it would be easier for me to take it easy after my op :slight_smile:
All the best for your op
Liz

I think it does depend on your ps. Mine likes you to be under 30 BMI and i know he has delayed some ops until people have lost weight. You are right Liz that you do need a liitle weight or there isn’t enough fat to make a reconstructed breast. From reading around it seems about a 26 BMI gives you plenty for a c/d cup size. I don’t know if it makes any difference if it is a delayed recon as you are not classed as urgently needing the surgery then.
Pam x

Had a meeting with my PS yesterday and I emphasised to him how much I would like the DIEP. AFter checking my turmmy etc. he said I would need more fat if I wanted a D cup as that is my size now. He said he could get a C cup with the fat I have around tummy. With a DIEP there is no chance at all of having a hernia as the main stomach muscle is not touched at all so am puzzled as to why you have a hernia? Was your reconstruction a TRAM rather than DIEP?
Today have received message to say I will need a CT angiogram to check out my blood vessels to see they are ok as I had 2 C-sections and they don’t want any surprises on the day of surgery! I really hope that my blood vessels are ok as I am not overly keen on having an implant. Has anyone had DIEP after C-Section? I have posted a new topic but still waiting for replies.
Dani X

Well I went to see the surgeon and sure enough he told me I have to lose a stone before I can even go on the list for surgery and then the list is 7 - 8 months long! I questioned why I can’t go on the list now and have 6 or 7 months to lose weight and they said it was “Government guidelines”. I think it’s Bull**** myself so I’ve written to my local MP who has written to the Health Minister!
Despite my being in general good health and I don’t smoke or drink I still have to lose weight because my BMI is just over 30 and it has to be under. It is delayed reconstruction and it may not be an emergency to them but to me it is very important!
Totally p’d off!
Debs

Thats such a shame - i think it varies from hospital to hospital. I am at cambridge and their cut off is 33. In Norwich its 31 i think…
Even surgery is a post code lottery it seems :frowning:
xx

What I want to know is why nobody tells you about needing to lose weight earlier in the process. The hospital where I had mx and treatment does not do diep recons so they have to refer you to another hospital. This involves seeing the BCN, waiting 3 months for an appt with the surgeon who then says they’ll refer you to the other hospital - another 3 month wait to see surgeon there, who then says you need to lose weight before you can go on the waiting list. In the 6 months waiting to see 2 surgeons I could have lost the weight I needed if the BCN had told me. I thought the more fat they had to use the better so I hadn’t worried about putting weight on during treatment.

Hi All

I have just had a bilat mx with temporising implants. I am hoping to have diep sometime next year. I need to lose 5 stone to get me to BMI of 30.

When I saw my bcn she told me that the last lady they sent to Salisbury (they don’t do diep in my local hosp) had to lose 3 stone to be able to have the op! As I know this already I have started on my weightloss now to try and minimise the waiting time. But it could be as you say that they are more interested in general health (I’m a fit fatty!!!), but I’m not prepared to take the chance. Any weightloss for me can only help with the final result and I am so desperate to get back to ‘normal’ life, what ever that is!!!

I feel quite priviledged to be able to have this surgery as I know they can’t do it on everyone so I want the best result i can get.

I hope you all get the recons you want.

Viv xxx