Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIY swimming prosthesis

12 REPLIES 12
lisaf

Re: DIY swimming prosthesis

hiya
I have a swimming prosthesis (which havent tried out yet) but my breast care nurse gave it to me, no charge
x

JJanet

i had a foam swim prosthesis and later got one that had a silicone core but foam outer layer - both from Oops and Downes in leeds. They do mail order.
probably best not to squeeze the water out as you exit the pool........... 😉

Topper

Blow I have spent £29-10 for nothing!!!
I am off to raid the bathroom cupboard to see what I have!

lyndu

Well, works for me, cost me 90p, and doesn't need squeezing as you get out of the water. Having just spent about £100 on a swimsuit and two bras I was feeling mean about spending another £30 on a swim prosthesis till I'd tried this.

Lyn

Topper

I bought the Amoena swimform for £30. It works fine for me it is not as heavy or bulky as my usual one, it's transparent silicone and just washes with soap and dries with a towel. Easy to put in and out of pocketed swimsuit.

Birgit

I swim regularly, so need a permanent swim prothesis. Got mine from Amoena. It is hollowed out in the back, so less weight and dries really quickly. I have bought mastectomy swimsuits from Nicola Jane (in their sale) and they hold the prothesis comfotably inside and I look very balanced. I also wear bikinis for sunbathing etc. and just use a weighted comfie in them. I did once swim in them, but they took 2 days to dry - so not ideal. I think it is a question of trial and error, but I am sure you'll find something suitable. Good luck

Birgit

snowwhite

You can use a regular prosthesis theoretically - I mean it won't harm the prosthesis - but I have found it too heavy (mine is size 3) and the cossie sags down on that side so it is very lopsided; might be worse if the cossie got wet but have never worn it. Foam size 2 sticks out about 15 miles and is a very odd shape, doesn't match me and can't get smaller; weighted foam the same. Still haven't been swimming - may try amoena contact next; I tried the tropez (?I think) swim prosthesis, but that was concave and just collapsed on itself, folded in half horizontally, inside the cossie, so again looked odd.

RoadRunner

Justme - yes you can use your regular prosthesis. I checked with Amoena.

dawnhc

If you google those words it is the first one that comes up when I do it: It is on the breastcancer.org site I am sure the mods wont mind it being posted here
http://community.breastcancer.org/topic/82/conversation/706036

dawnhc

justme

I was under the impression that we could use our regular prosthesis for swimming?

I have two swimsuits - ordinary M&S ones with internal bras, and my hospital pocketed them for me. I haven't used them yet, but was simply going to pop my silicon prosthesis into them, Will there be problems?

xxx

magsi

I bought a second comfie / softie and that works fine for me.
I did initially wonder if we would part company in the water ....but we didn't 🙂

northerngirl

i googled these words and nothing to do with this came up. i think it is the user name of someone on an american cancer site. just a coincidence.

lyndu

DIY swimming prosthesis

I spotted this on an American bc site - a suggestion to use a bath puff thingy as a swim prosthesis (haven't tried it yet - don't have the puffs!)

She takes off the rope that holds it together, unwinds it to a tube and sort of rolls it up inside its end. Seems to me it would definitely work well with a cupped suit, might look a bit lumpy otherwise - and it would solve the draining problem. If you want to find the original, google the words - swimming poofy purplemb - purplemb is the username of the inventor. There's a pic of what she ends up with. For a couple of quid I'm definitely going to try this!
Lyn