Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dad just diagnosed with incurable cancer

11 REPLIES 11
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Dad just diagnosed with incurable cancer

Lovelyday64 my heart goes out to you.
My Dad had prostate cancer and died in December last year, the very next day my Mum was told she has advanced and terminal ovarian cancer. I had my diagnosis (stage 4 with extensive liver and bone mets) in April. It has been a humdinger of a year. Like you I tried to make it all right for Mum but now have to realise I don't have the same energy and also need to be kind to myself. I hope you are surrounded by people who will take the strain and look after you when you need them to.

Thanks Lovely day,I'm coping,taking each day as it comes,miss my dad so much but he's free from pain now.I also have a wonderful OH and I hope you too have a good supportive family around to help you through this tough time.Don't try and take it all on yourself,I'm the worst person in the world for refusing help and trying to do everything myself,but please take all the help you can get and let others take care of you.Please take care,best wishes,
Di.x

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you Di. I am so sorry to hear about your Dad It is really hard. I suppose I wanted to make everything right for my dad but I know I have to take time to care for myself and my husband and children. I am slowly learning that I haven't got the same energy to be everything to everyone anymore. I hope you are coping ok with everything xxx

Hi Lovelyday,18 mths ago i had to look after my dad as he had advanced lung cancer, whilst I was undergoing radiotherapy everyday.It was so tough but I will always treasure those last few weeks with him.Please look after yourself ,I know its hard looking after your dad but you must also take care of yourself and dont try to be superwoman.Sending you my best wishes and prayers for you and your dad,
Love Di.x

Guest user
Not applicable

Love to you too Rosie x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hugs for you Lovelyday64

I am in the same boat - I have secondary lung mets and my dad has cancer as well .

Sending love to you

Love
rosie

Same here -saw my dad through bowel cancer lastyear before i knew i had breast cancer x take each day as it comes x same as Kitty queen says you will focus more on your dad and thats fine - its a good focus x biig hug xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you for your experiences and kind thoughts. We are hoping that things will get back to a degree of normality again soon and we can start living the life we have to the full. x

hi love day, my dad had prosate cancer for 4 years and was doing well on hormone treatment until he hurt his back at work, and he missed a couple of appointments, he went downhill really quickly was taken into hospital, but never seemed to gain full consionous again was in 3 weeks when his doctor told us that he had about 12 weeks he lasted only another 8 days before he slipped away, on the day of his funeral i was in the bath and found lump in my breast, and under arm don't know how long they'd been there, as was so focused on my dad. when they did bone and ct scans they found another lump in lyphm gland between my lungs. i've just had my second chemo today. sending you a big virtual hug
suzee

Hi lovelyday xx
I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. I do understand how you feel as I nursed my Dad through terminal cancer 3 years ago although I didn't have bc then. It's fine to cry hunni and I just wanted to send you a big virtual hug. I found it far easier todeal with my own diagnosis than my Dad's probably because I felt a bit helpless that there was nothing I could do to change things for him.
love KQ

Dear Lovelyday

I am sorry to read that you are having such a difficult time and just wanted to say that our helpliners are here for you and your family to talk your feelings and fears through. Lines are open 9-5 during the week and 10-2 on Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

Take care

Lucy

Guest user
Not applicable

Dad just diagnosed with incurable cancer

Hi everyone,
Has anyone ever been in this situation? My lovely dad has recently been diagnosed with cancer and it is advanced and incurable. I have secondary breast cancer with extensive bone mets. I am well at moment but I am devastated about my dad . My family are finding it so hard. My mum that both me and my dad have cancer. My husband looks at my dad and is so upset both for him but also because it reminds him of how things are likely to be for me when I become ill. I am supporting everyone and inside I am struggling. I have cried more for my dad than I ever have for myself. I want the world to stop for a bit. My children are also upset that both their mum and grandad have cancer. Life seems so very unfair sometimes But I know it is just life.
Thanks x