Dairy and oestrogen positive b c

Considering the pros and cons of going dairy-free I would be interested to hear from ladies with oestrogen positive breast cancer who have survived a long time whilst continuing to use dairy products. I’m nearly afraid to put so many things in my mouth! Definitely don’t want soya - I’m sure that contributed to my problems in the first place.
Sarcath

Hi Scarcath. If you go to Search and just enter “dairy” you will find lots of discussions that have been had on these threads about the pros and cons of dairy/dairy free. I can assure that there are thousands of ladies out there who continue to eat dairy and are alive and well many years after being diagnosed with breast cancer. A personal choice of course, but I for one intend to join them! Good luck. Sarah

Hi Sarcath

You may be interested in a factsheet which Breast Cancer Care produces called ‘Diet and breast cancer’, as it contains some information about soya and dairy.

I have given the link below to the publication which you can read online or order via the helpline on 0808 800 6000. You are welcome to call the helpline for further advice and information, the line is open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 9am-2pm.

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/diet_and_breast_cancer_dec_06_0.pdf

Best wishes
Lucy

Sarcath - I don’t know if 5 yrs post dx is considered a long time, but I have not changed my diet at all. I need a high protein diet as I have malabsorption due to Crohn’s. I use semi-skimmed milk, eat a lot of eggs,cheese, fish,chicken and very little red meat.Luckily I don’t have a “sweet tooth” so rarely eat a dessert and don’t snack on biscuits or crisps. I have never eaten soya and being ER+ would not dream of touching it. Virtually all our meals are made from scratch so I don’t have to worry over additives, colourings etc. I was grade and stage 2, idc with 3/18 lymph nodes affected. Doing well these days on Arimidex. Vegetarianism is not an option for me but I do respect those who feel differently about animal products. Guess you have to do your research and make your own mind up.
Liz.

Thank you all for your responses. Liz, what you say is the sort of info I need! Your case sounds familiar - I am Grade 2 ER +. I don’t want to use much dairy - it’s just eg in sauces such as parsley that there is no substitute. Occasionally trifle with cream. 5 years sounds amazing to me! Long may it last!
Sarcath

I am 13 years post initial diagnosis and have never changed my diet. It has always been good and I have a good balance of foods.

The one thing I have never been keen on is fast foods - not necessarily because they’re not that healthy for you but I just don’t like them. I’ve always cooked food from scratch rather than ready cooked meals but this is from choice rather than a health decision (maybe it is both!). Maybe it was part of how I was brought up as well?

My oncologist gets very annoyed when she hears that women are cutting out diary and red meat as she says there is no evidence at the moment to evidence that they are not good for you and that you actually need the protein etc unless you decide to have some alternative

Pinkdove

Hi Pinkdove
Were you oestrogen positive too? I think that is the aspect that makes me wonder about dairy. 13 years! That’s amazing!
Sarcath

Hi Sarcath

Yes I was although back in 1995 I had no idea what it all meant!

I am 13 years down the road and also have lived with secondaries for the past 3.5 years and I believe it’s always been on the cards for me (family history as my mother and her sister both died young) and am waiting to hear if I’m BRCA1 or BRCA2 positive.

Take care.

Pinkdove

I continue to eat dairy products, although in moderation as I used to have gallstones and anything too ‘fatty’ made the pain worse. I now had the gallbladder removed, but have not altered my diet as regards to dairy. I used to have an enormous amount of soya when first dx in 1999 to combat Tamoxifen side effects and nobody at that time told me not to have it - despite being strongly ER+. It’s only since I had a recurrence that my oncologist has warned me off any soya products or anything else containing plant oestrogen. Makes you wonder whether all that soya has caused the recurrence, but who knows! I try and have a healthy diet, lots of fruit and veg, little red meat, some dairy , ie. skimmed milk, the odd yoghurt and very occasionally cream with a dessert and I try and curb my chocolate cravings. I would suggest everything in moderation, and enjoy what you eat.

Birgit