363529posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darling Rads of August

Community Champion

Re: Darling Rads of August

The radiographer ,not Sheena's son,who sounds like a star .Did Poldark turn up ?

I can't believe you have not collapsed in a heap! up since 2.30! I have been in the garden all day weeding so may not be around for the night shift. (fingers crossed!) .. do you want extra shifts? it pays well! 🙂 x

Haha Jill he could have them as suppositories, sharnie gets first go! X

Sharnie, and the rest! the radiographer said to me this morning, how was I after 1st session and I said I was sore etc amd took painkillers, him-oh that should not be the case so soon, im like doh! not making it up x
Community Champion

Yes ,make him take the tablets unsympathetic git...see how he feels!!!

Thanks Joyce x just made me cry again but in a nice way x I'm like a water fountain! my son is funny, said to me earlier, you look a bit cheerier mum don't like to see you upset, ans that got me blubbering again lol xx

Good for you lorna x

Thanks Sheena! Yes that's what I felt like saying - he's not the one getting up every night sweating and throwing the covers off!

Hi sharnie

that reviewer should try taking the effing hormones,  cheeky git!

As for swimming,  what could be more healthy than swimming in seawater

slather factor 50 baby suncream on and wear loose tops, boom!

Sheena x

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm sure I will enjoy my holiday - I'm just feeling a bit low today. I have bought some extreme sun lotion factor 50 and several cover up shirts which are lightweight. It's a matter of being sensible - I will keep in the shade with a good book! I think that the sea might do my skin some good - I think they are over cautious to be honest - I know Kim (Jo) was fine on her holiday. I will see what onc has to say about tamoxifen - I'm post menopausal so don't really know why I'm on it anyway - think it's because I'm 47 and only two years post meno. Maybe I need some anti depressants to help. I just don't feel like me at the minute and I have always been a positive person. Perhaps I should watch a sad movie and have a good cry and let it all out! So glad I can chat on here - no one else understands how we are feeling. 

Community Champion

Sharnie, that radiologist sounds like a bit of a ******,how unsympathetic ,Im sure you will find a way to enjoy your holiday even if you can't swim .Kim68 went on holiday not long after finishing and she was fine with factor 50 on crucial areas .You don't have to put up with the side effects, you can stop taking them if it's too much,they help but not to the extent that you want a poor quality of life for 10yrs, we have been discussing this on another thread .

I remember it well good on ya lorna you did the right thing ..you cant afford to be sitting arouns on a nice day like today im still going strong bee up since 2.30am think ive got a second wind lol or maybe the wine ...hope your fit for nught duty tonigjt lol x
christine x

Lol Christine.. ike you want to be sat there when the suns out! Nurse was smiling. I said does she want to tell me anything or just ask if im ok? she said just checking on you.. well im fine tell her! we dont get enough sun to be wasting it in there! x

Oh Sharnie it's rubbish isn't it but I would swim! just put loads of cream on.. even wrap it with something and get in that sea! The tablets after the ones you are on will be the ones I am on I imagine.. post menapausal ones. I have really had no problems on them, touch wood. Bit stiff in the mornings but always was! He was wrong to say you just have to put up with it though. There are choices as far as i have read and he should have assured you most side effects subside after a few months. Talk to your onc next week and tell him all your concerns 

Love Lorna x

Sorry to hear that Sheena I was exactly the same last weekend cried for about 4/5 days was told by my daughter-in-law it's OK to cry we've been/and going through so much. We're all here for you when you want to unload or even have a rant if you want. It is difficult when you're led in that position and they say lie still don't help us we'll move you especially if you're a little on the large side like me. Anyway I'm just the other side of these posts if you want a rant or even a chat. Joyce X

Hi all, had number 14 today, followed by a review. The review radiographer just told me what I could expect from my skin over the next few weeks. He said my skin was looking quite good for this stage. I have distinct rectangle now - didn't realise quite how far up I'm being treated. He told me I have to keep covered up and wear a scarf as well. He wasn't impressed that I'm going away so soon after treatment, especially when I told him Greece! He said we don't normally recommend swimming until 14 days after rads. I am quite annoyed because I was going to cancel my holiday but was advised not to by the surgeon and oncologist as it would be good for me after treatment - I think back then they assumed I would have completed my rads way before my holiday.

He also asked how I was getting on with Tamoxifen and I told him how tired I'm feeling since starting it and how the hot flushes were disturbing my sleep - he said I'm afraid you just have to put up with it. I know I have to take it at least five years, then they are going to switch me to something else. I came away feeling very upset. Went to work after and came home and went to bed - feeling really down now. I was really looking forward to my holiday but am not so much now. I see the oncologist next week so will see what he has to say. Last session of normal rads tomorrow before I start the boosters on Monday. Sorry for the rant - hope I will feel better tomorrow. I hate feeling like this! X

Hi Jill. Will let u know , it will be nice if we can meet let the party begin x
Community Champion

Hi Aura,Im sure we will be crossing paths as I start on the 21st. let me know your schedule when you have it see when we overlap,have a free cup of tea together !!Another lady from the Forum starts on 21st there too so it will be one long party. .....Not....

Laghing here I sat in that room 35mins waiting for oncologist when I was there I was nearly asleep you did the right thing lorna.x
christine x

I was there today..230 then onc wanted to see me but got sick of waiting so left message with nurse to tell her I'm fine! Lol. What time where you there? X

Hi family tree I'm at Preston x

Good that's done with aura..Wheat hospital, or have I already asked that? X I had a holiday before mine started. Enjoy the time x

Just had planning appointment , got in on time and start 20th August . Just want to get this final bit over with now have a good weekend ladies x
Community Champion

He couldn't get the Winnebago started ,he's on his way now....

Aaaahhh I'm feeling the love ladies,  thank you for listening and supporting,  Jill,  c'mon where is poldark? There could be a relapse, ,,,,,,, just saying!  X

Hear bear tweasle....superwoman! X

Oh Sheena I felt exactly the same with the early rads..it all sinks in on that bed. As you say they are just over you calling out numbers and you realise how serious it all is. Bless you it does get easier. I sail UN now although they keep changing rooms which I'm not keen on but they are all the same so don't know why it bothers me? Weekend break now. Enjoy a drink, you've earned it! X

You don't have to stop moaning Sheena - better out than in as they say. When I had my port fitted I cried all the way through the surgery and I had no idea why. What we are going through is an emotional as well as physical trauma and I think we're all bloody amazing 🙂

Oh I will be having a glass of wine tonight enjoy and well done for sorting a car out x
christine x

Thanks Jill and Christine

hopefully will open prosecco later, need to pick my unreliable car from garage later.  Spent the afternoon researching nearly new cars and think I've found one, something I could do without right now bit hey ho

I will stop moaning now xx

Community Champion

I think appointments make you feel vulnerable,they remind you that you have/ have had cancer.
Community Champion

I will send Poldark to cheer you up Sheena. And Gary.....open the Prosecco and have a good cry it's just letting the tension out.I was crying in the blooming waiting room last week when they kept me waiting 2 hours for planning appt I felt very alone.

Aw sheena you poor thing its horrid what we are goong through I can remember my last day of rada I felt so emotional when I came oit I thought so thats it im on my own now what mext..I kinda missed going for rads every day seeing people to chat to about it..its best to cry amd let it all out instead of holding it in I dont know whatakea us like this I blame the tablets.
you are missing your freind and feeling insecure...I can rember I was brill through opp and rads blanked it all out kept busy went long hill walks and we went away for the weekend my last weekend before finish rads and I was zapped shatterd felt sorry for my seld because every one could go awimming and sauna jaccuzi and steam room..I couldnt but my feet wouldnt losten to my brain I was so shatterd and thats when I thought this has got a grip of me now ive never felt like that before maybe it just hot me what I had and been through..take care we are all in tje same boat and this is whats good about this forum is to offload x
christine x

I had number 2 this morning,  and felt incredibly sad when I was lying there being moved and talked over by the staff calling numbers out. I struggled to keep the tears in so when I got to the car I just let it go,  passer by looking alarmed! 

woke up at 4am this morning,  crying again,  best friend is away on holiday,,,,I'm definitely in a bad way today

help me out ladies x

sheena xxx

Enjoy your weekend ladies and cry when you need to do its ok to cry and off load x

christine x

Aww bless it is a relief getting first week over. I don't know if it's rads making me tired or just the whole process catching me up. And I think seeing all the other cancer patience having rads depresses me. I feel so sorry for everybody. Que sera sera as my dear aunt always used to sing. We will get to the other side of this before we know it. Enjoy the sunshine girls x x

5 down 20 to go.  So relieved it's the weekend and have survived the first week.  Boob is very sore still.  Felt very tired today and after treatment (don't know why they call it that when it only makes us worse), I sat in the car and burst into tears.  Think it's just the relief of the first week ending.  Have a lovely weekend everyone, no green lazers in sight and no one drawing all over us!

Sheena I turned down chemo as well, I have a few other medical problems as well and the percentage of it being beneficial to me was quite low hence the decision to opt out of chemo. 

DizzyDee I've told I'll be on tamoxafin when I finish rads, I am dreading it a bit as I've heard so many horror stories. Have a good week all Joyce X

Dizzy that's what I was prescribed but not taken yet was told it makes you a bit sleepy first few weeks so thought I would finish rads first. Great to hear things balance out eventually. X Lorna
Community Champion

Hang in there girls things do pick up after rads. And as for the drugs i'm on tamoxifen for 10 years. But when first diagonsed was put on the anti depressant Citrolpram. My consultant says that this stops the side effects from tamox and so far so good. I was a bit sceptical of being put on anti depressants but may i long continue taking them as no side effects as yet!!! Happy zapping today and then weekend off for you all. Xxx

Thx Sheena I thought it was 5 hrs.  I did the chemo was supposed to have 6 but they cancelled the 6th too sick but I did refuse Rads.  I never told anyone.  

Hi ptbo
we are a funny old bunch, I am definitely not the woman I was before, I turned chemotherapy down think I would be even worse. Yes we are 5hours ahead
sheena x

Hi it is now 5.15am in the morning ive been awake since 2.30 am..I dont know any one who is enjoying being on these tablets yet .x
christine x

That is how I feel.  Totally not the same person in every way.  I was an active 60 yr. old and looked a lot younger now I look and feel about 75.  I had really nice long hair and all came out in one day a garbage bag full.  Hair grew back but thin, frizzy and totally grey.  One thing good that has happened I don't sweat the small stuff anymore.  My appreciation for the garden, small kids (not a grandmother yet) and definitely animals has grown.  I lost my "Capt' Jack in 2013 beautiful cat and he stayed right beside me when I was sick with chemo etc.  I still haven't got another yet and I think I am afraid incase something else happens.  Jack had a heart attack right in front of me.  So fast then he was gone.  This is off this topic but does anyone know the time difference between UK and Ontario, Canada?  I think UK is five hours ahead but not sure.  Sorry for blabbing so much...wish everyone well xo

I think they would really help us.. god if we don't need a pick me up who does! lol x

Lorna, I am going to gp mid august and I am thinking of asking for a helper x

Haha Joyce my cat looking at me like im crazy,  a cat!!! Baby cheeses

Funny Joyce lol x

Yes I am just realising I am having mood swings! I never had them in my menopaus at 42, sailed through it really, then hey ho! well it's either Letrozole or just me being a moody sod? can't decide 🙂 I did ask for anti depressants as soon as I was diagnosed for emergancies.. not taken them... YET! anyone else on them or considering? x

Hi Sheena thought for one moment you were describing me. I thought oh joy another like me. Even the dog has started giving me a wide birth. Joyce X