62322members
328058posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darling Rads of August

Re: Darling Rads of August

Just reading my report now what are the clips anterior ??
christine x
Community Champion

I will look into signing David up ....

I had my review with the rads dept this week, and asked about heart etc, being a leftie.  The radiographer showed me my scans with the radiation fields marked up, so I could see the beams are not going anywhere near my heart, but are skimming the edge of one lung. Very interesting. Anyone have David Tennant's email?  I need some gardening doing....

Hey Lorna ive jist looked and maybe im in with a chance the Letrozole is 2.5mg..and these Anastrozole is 1mg..way hey they are a lower strengh ;0)
Christine x

Hi Lorna I havnt changed yet ive got them here but im gonna just enjoy being me for a few days more start sunday/monday maybe ...No he didnt look mad and didnt
look at me like a fool he give me
Anastrozole which to be honest I think
just the same as letrozole..we will see
eh...im still going ahead with acupuncture
see if helps ..she is doing it twice a week
.. I feel like we are all just guinea pigs.for these meds .. x
christine x

Hey Christine so do you feel better changing pills, did he give you percentages if you stopped Completely, did he look mad or look at you like you were a foo? Questions questions lol. Can you get lower dose? That my be the key? X
Community Champion

Joyce ,I have Poldark,Gary Barlow and Geoff Godblum (wierd one I know),also Bradley Cooper available to take ladies to appointments and do household chores.Now this is what the NHS should be offering alongside conventional treatment .Just let me know who you need and when..,,
Community Champion

Hi Christine, I finished on June 9th as well!  I'm taking Tamoxifen and have been since results back in April and am honestly feeling ok with them,I take mine at night and have had no sickness and a very odd flush, I get some pain in an old ankle injury and my legs ache If I've been on my feet a lot but I really wouldn't notice I'm taking them, I also take venlafaxine with them which is an antidepressant my surgeon suggested as it helps with side effects, especially hot flushes so I'm guessing they are doing the trick xx Jo 

Community Champion

Run it through "Google translate " Christine... Only joking it's a different language isn't it...

Path report seems double dutch to me ..
just reading it now .
christine x
mf

Hi Christine. Good to hear the oncologist said you don't have to keep taking them. That must take the pressure off. Spoke to a neighbour who's had BC twice and tried several different meds because of bad joint pain. After six months, she says things have now settled down. So maybe there's hope. Hope your path report was reassuring. x

Jill is Poldark (with his shirt off) for hire to do ironing and any other household duties? Joyce X

There's trees at Velindre as well. What'with these trees. I notice you're all taking tablets while doing your rads. I've been told I'll be taking tamoxafin when I finish rads. Joyce X

Community Champion

Sounds like you had a bit of a day of it Christine.When he said ,no you don't need to be taking them,did he explain why ?Did your path report tell you anything useful?

Afternoon ladies..
what a dat my appointment was 11.20 and ive just got oit of the hospital at 2.56.
I went with my mind made up I was stopping taking the tablets letrozole ive not talen them for four nights and ive felt brill..I wenr to hospice for my pysio first explained to her what I was planning to do she sais lots of women think about the quality of life when cant do with the SE from tabs..said its my decision ..
I went to the hospital and it was packed out I bumpes I to a lady I met at preston rads..she has been fighting cancer for 11years.. she said she stopped taking her tabs and it came back 18 mnths later phweew ! She has had lots of surgery done chemo rads etc..she said why not ask for a lower dose..anyway after iver two hrs they called my name he told me I had fluid in my boob I said thanks I thought I had a matching pair ha..I said can you not drain it? He said no I will get a breasr nirse to ahow you how to massage it to stop lynthadademia..I askes could I have injection for frozen shoulder he said yes I can ..then he said how you getting in with tablets I said I hate them and come here with all intentions if never taking them again askes him what % if I stopped..then he tried put me o tamoxifen I said no ive heard bad things about them ..he put me on Anastrozole said he were gonna see me in 6 mnths then when he put me on them he said I will see you in 3mnths.. if you havnt settled down tjen we will take you off them I said do I really need to be taking these he said No! I was shocked when he said that..im gonna give them a go for 3mnths then go see him again and see what happens..I got my pathology report from him too. I hope I dobt have to see another hospital in the next 3 mnths ...x
christine x
Community Champion

Jennifer good luck not wetting yourself!!
Community Champion

Sarnie get Poldrak to do the ironing(with his shirt off...)
Community Champion

At least she phoned to wish you good luck eh!!!Our sickness policy has a one size fits all approach , often wondered in the past how it would deal with cancer ,now I will find out!One of the questions they ask is what are you doing to get back to work ASAP and what can you do not stop this reoccurring....Well I have been under the knife ,I am taking tablets that make me feel crap and I am going to spend the majority of the next 3 weeks at the hospital being radiated ,can you suggest anything else...Oh and I'm working on a vaccine for all cancers....so there is no chance I will inconvenience you again with this malarkey ....

All depends if your boss has had any experience of cancer treatment directly or through other staff? Some people seem to think this is nothing others know the truth and acknowledge /realise the impacts.  Hope your boss is understanding. A friend of mine just called up to wish me good luck and then babbled on for 20 minutes about the dancing summer school she's running for kids.  Yes! Very nice but I'm about to get my boob nuked and don't give one!  I'm sure you can sort the boss out!  Good luck. 

Moan all you like - going through all this is the hardest thing most of us will ever do. The treatment is horrible, I'm paranoid about lumps too. I think it's probably normal after what we have been through. You will feel better tomorrow. X

Hi Jill, good luck this afternoon - sounds like a bundle of fun! I'm taking my daughter to her friends and then coming back for a hot and steamy date - with the ironing pile! We lead such exciting lives!

Community Champion

Sending Brad and Poldark,you need cheering up!!!It is a blooming long job this isn't it,I seem to have living in "cancer world" forever.My boss is coming round this afternoon part of my employers sickness procedure where they try to pressure you into going back to work before you are right,something to look forward to....

Hi Jill, Brad Pitt would do if Poldark is not available ha,ha! I'm feeling really tired today - haven't got the energy to do anything. I really need to think about packing and getting sorted for my holiday, but my mind is elsewhere at the minute! Had a bit of panic last night - felt a slight lump above treated boob and mentioned it this morning, they just said to keep an eye on it and it could just be side effects from my first sessions of radiotherapy. Scar tissue is feeling really hard now as well, I'm lucky my surgeon did a really neat scar just round my nipple and managed to perform the sentinel node biopsy through this too! I just keep thinking will I spend the rest of my life worrying over every lump and bump but I guess we all go through this and over time we will stop worrying so much. 

As I lay on the bed so long this morning my mind was going into overdrive thinking what have they seen on the images and why is it taking so long, hope it's not as bad tomorrow - my neck and shoulders are painful now Smiley Sad I've just got to tell myself not many more now! Sorry for moaning, been let down by my friend this afternoon so I just needed a little moan on here and I will be fine. I need some of your funny stories to cheer me up! 

Community Champion

I am a bit confused about the heart issue,my Onc was very low key about any risks from radiotherapy due to precision of where they aim radiation.They never mentioned my heart at planning appt, although I have heard from another lady at same hospital that if they can see it on your C.T scan they will look at breathing techniques.
Community Champion

Sharnie,I will send Poldark over,he will give you something more interesting to look at.Although he didn't turn up for Sheena last week and I had to send Gary Barlow ,do you have a back up ??

Welcome Lisa, wish you didn't have to join us but since you do I can confirm what everyone else has said, this islet is a life- saver because you can always find someone to talk to  who will understand.  As good as relatives and friends can be it is just too much to offload on them all our fears about the treatment and the future.   It is a real help to be able to sound off and ask questions here without worrying about dragging others down. Jennifer x 

mf

Hi Jennifed. I'm a left-sider but when I asked about holding my breath during rads they told me they just catch a small bit of the lung so not to worry, though there might be side-effects!

Anyone experienced the holding breath technique for left siders?  I have been practicing but because my first session is today and I'm feeling nervous can't hold for more than 20 seconds.  Scared stiff my heart is going to get caught  in the beam and age 10 years over night ( yes - this is what my oncologist told me could happen!). 

Good morning back from second booster session - must say I'm not liking this much! It takes a lot longer - I think I was in the room about 25 minutes today! I got a bit worried at one point as I thought they had forgotten I was lying there! Apparently my clips were being elusive!! I started to count the branches on the picture on the ceiling at one point. Do you all have tree pictures on the ceiling at your hospitals? As I'm having boosters they are all in the same room so I have to look at a cherry blossom tree for the next week and a half - be much nicer if Poldark was there ha,ha! Hope you all have a good day, my nights aren't getting any better - think I'm going to start looking for the meteor showers in the skies this week whilst I'm awake!

Morning Jo
I finished rads on 9th June im about 10weeks post rads now yea rads was a doddle to me too..just got blisters on last few days and weeke after fot infected under boob but nothing creams didnt sort out..its the tablets why I cant feel back to normal walking like some ine at 90 when I get out of bed and banging heads tiredness etc...are you taking any tablets ? X
christine x

Thank u .. Hope yr keeping well x

Thank u , I went to our local Maggie's centre who was giving a radiotheraphy workshop , really helpful. Hope yr still Keeping well x

Dear All

Thank you for all your replies , it's so helpful and supportive knowing so many are going through the same process.

I am hoping that then my rad will start in sept ( my surgery was 6th July ) I had good news last wk from my onco dx test score was low so no chemo just rad. My lymph node had some micrometastis in so not sure what they will do with that ???

thank u all , hope yr all staying strong 

lisa x

Community Champion

Morning Christine, My oncologist appointment was good, she was a lovely lady and talked through the process with me and the reasoning behind me having it, I was already feeling very relieved not to have needed chemo so didn't question rads and was happy to have them as an extra precaution, they were a doddle to be honest, completely painless and other than a bit of a hot boob come the end I suffered no ill effects, 2 months on I'm back to normal life, you will get there and it's a great feeling! Best of luck today xx love Jo 

Morning ladies
thanks for all your good luck comments (any one would think im taking my driving test ha ) I just hope im not falling asleep by the tine im at the hospital..To be honest ive not took my tablets for about 4 nights and I do feel the difference..I will tell the oncologist this ...I know he will try talk me into trying another brand ..I just hope he will say im allowed the injection for my shoulder with it being on same side had my lynthnoids out..I really need to be getting back to work and a normal life again ..wellcome to the forum Lisa its been great for me on here what better than to chat to people who are all going through it we are all in the same boat.x
christine x

Hi Lisa and welcome

Sorry you have been diagnosed with BC but glad you are being treated, hopefully cured! As the girls have said, they have to give the wound time to heal before further treatment. It drags on when all you want to do is get it done and over with but makes sense. 

sending love Lorna x

Hi Lisa and welcome.  I had my second WLE at the end of May and started rads 7 weeks later. I have now had 15 of 25. When we were discussing start dates the oncologist said i had to start within 3 months of my first surgery which was end of April.  Mine was high/intermediate grade DCIS so probably a different pathway and different hospitals seem to have their own guidelines.  Good luck with it.  Xx

Community Champion

Timescales do vary between hospitals but I think they are supposed to start with 30 days of your appointment with Onc.
Community Champion

Hi Lisa,welcome.I had my Onc appointment 2 weeks ago and start radiotherapy week on Friday.Im presuming you def are having radiotherapy ?The Onc appt just involves them going through why they are doing radiotherapy and talking through side effects and risks and getting your consent,also any questions you may have.
mf

Hi Lisa. My rads started about 4 weeks after my final op (ended up having three). I think 4-6 weeks is normal to give time for the surgical wounds to heal. Hope you're recovering well. Where I live, they offer a radiotherapy workshop for people with all kinds of cancer where you learn about the treatment and how to look after yourself. It's quite useful. Not sure if everywhere has these.
Highlighted

Hi Lisa

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums where I am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

If there's anything you need to know, just ask, there's always someone around to help, plus our helpline team are just a free phone call away 0808 800 6000 lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Good luck Christine for tomorrow. Joyce X

Yes good luck Christine will be thinking of u x

Hi All

I have just joined the forum this evening after reading so many interesting and helpful comments. I was diagnosed with BC in June , had lumpectomy and sne in July . Have my onc appointment this Thursday . Just wondered what will happen and the likelihood of when radiotheraphy may start ? I realise it's all a process and a waiting game .... 

Any help would be more than grateful?  X

Good luck Christine...Will have everything crossed x

Good for you sharnie x

Christine, good luck tomorrow x will be thinking about you x
sheena x
mf

One thing I didn't ask about was reconstruction - wish I had as apparently it's difficult after rads because the tissue hardens.

Thanks jill and thanks mf.
very interesting im trying not to forget to ask things I dont wamt to come away and say to myself I forgot to ask this n that..x
christine x
mf

Hi Christine. Don't know what stage you're at so apologies if this doesn't apply, but my main questions for the oncologist were what treatment he recommended and how much each added to my survival. He's a bit of an arse but he gave me the info before I could ask. They did an additional test to see how fast the cancer cells were growing (ki67 test, I think). This was good because it showed that although my tumour was grade 3 and aggressive, it was at the slower growing end of the scale. This site has questions to ask: https://ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/QuestionstoAsktheDoctorPDFDownloads.html
There are also some on breast cancer.org.uk
Good luck.