69236members
363522posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darling Rads of August

Re: Darling Rads of August

Hi everyone, as you can see I have been catching up on chat.    I had my planning meeting 10th it was a doddle-- I was anxious of what happens. 

Appointment was 2.15 I was seen within 5 mins for b/p and all that. then called into a room with 4 radiologists  scanner I thought it was going to be just a flat bed. but they just mould it around your body to get you in the right position, you have a gown they give you that you keep for each session and it is very discreet with velcro on front and shoulder which they just opened it at the shoulder on surgery side. They measure and mark your site with a marker that washes off. The tattoos were nothing like normal tattoos --Ouch!  I never felt a thing I didnt even know he had done them  -  so do not worry its not even like a normal injection. I then lay in the position and the scanner is just like a doughnut the bed moves in and out of it - not closed in at all.  The staff come in and out couple of times.  Makes a sound like an aeroplane engine starting up (not so loud though!) and you feel nothing while it is scanning and nothing touches you. it took about 15/20 mins start to finish.  Oncologist was waiting for me for chat.

So many people there at my Hospital The Christie Manchester I thought I was going to be there a long time, I was in total just over an hour and on way home.

Hope this helps anyone who is anxious like I was - its fine. Maggie X

Jill1998    thanks for advice so I have had nothing mentioned to me about breathing so hope not for me then?Maggie X

Hi Jill1998      Well Eric Pollard is freeWoman LOL    have a nice day  Maggie X

Hi Tweeks123     why is your alarm set for 3am???   have a good day  Maggie XX

Hi MariaB    yes I was told I had clips in at the time of surgery for future pin pointing.  Maggie X

Hi Tweasel     good luck for first session today, let me know how it goes, I start mine next Tuesday 18th. Maggie X

Hi Sharnie    does everyone have these clips in?   Is that what takes the time then if you are on the "casting couch" so long as it makes your shoulder/arm bad?

Maybe I wont be as bad with Rads alone as I cant have the Tamox/Herc tabs. I am post menopausal no one has mentioned any tables/meds with or after rads or have I got that to come then later, it just seems like never ending questions in your head doesnt it.    Its true what I read at the beginning of my time with BC "BC takes over your head and you have to fight it"    take care Maggie X

Mf     OMG   that would have scared the living daylights out of me, who needs nutcakes like that?  Hope you ok.    take care MaggieX

Hi Sheena     you having a rough time with rads from start then, what is happenning, why are you taking paracetemol before?  why cant you sleep is it pain from boob or side effects knocking body out?  I start my first treatment 18th Aug.  I always feel I get rough deal, like when you change queues in supermarket and they close the bl---- thing and then the other checkout is longer- know what I mean?

Hope you get to feel better than now. take care Maggie X

Morning, fellow lefties. The lasting effects of rads were explained to me at the planning meeting and I had to sign a paper to say I'd been informed. For me, that included possible lung damage/ breathing problems and also heart damage, though I was told heart problems were very rare now because beams are more precise (as someone else on here said). When I asked more in a review, the radiotherapist drew a picture of where the beams were going. Only 4 more rads to go for me!

Hi Jill1998     Darling Buddies Heart     have a good day Maggie X

Hi Maria   another one joining the crazy gang I see, you made me smile.   I am a leftie too and I think I will say I am bothered about my heart regardless ofthe Onc saying it will be safe.   I will feel better if I could see where the beams are going.   So  would it effect your lungs S/E after rads then?   no-one has mentioned these things to me at all.

Hi Jill1998   you crazy gang make me laugh, we read all the serious bits and there will be a giggle in there somewhere, keep it up,   (this is my world now) wouldnt it be funny if these hunks somehow got to see these pages and turned up at our doors???Woman LOL would we still be so brave -too right we wouldWoman Very Happy  second thoughts I might write to Surprise Surprise for us allWoman LOL    Have a good day MaggieX

Hello Sharnie  you can tell by the content of our chats when someone needs a bit of a boost, heres mine to you XX HeartHeart   and hope the crazy gang have helped.  Sorry your friend let you down it really means so much just to have someone sat next to you no need for long conversations its just the being there isnt it?  Hope you feeling better today?

My boob is hard and lumpy since swelling gone down and a slight brown tinge (still bruising I wonder?) sometimes it looks a bit like orange peel around the surgery area - hope this is normal.  I thought at first they hadnt taken much away but now swelling gone down deffinate chunk gone!

I start my rads 18th - so why does your neck/shoulder ache I felt quite comfortable on the scanner and didnt feel my arm was overstretched but was only on it for about 15mins and all planning done, is the treatment longer then?   take care Maggie X

Community Champion

They have to practice the technique before you start so if you were going to have it you would know.I am left sider too but they never mentioned heart at planning, think it is to do with whether it can be seen on CT scan or not.

Hi Jennifed    morning to you,  you will have had your first session then, how did it go, I am left sided too,  no one has mentioned it to me - why do they do that type of technique   I have heard of other ladies on here having it. had my planning appoint 10th and first rads will be 18th do they spring it on you then at first session?    think I will start practicing, I could turn into a great underwater swimmerWoman LOL  I am anxious about my heart as I have had a bypass and I said would it damage it Onc said not to worry they will be very careful and things are so much more advanced now its very rare it happens so I am in their hands.   We all know there are risks with everything and I think your Onc should have taken into account the state of mind we women are in and the tiniest thing turns into a mountain in our heads doesnt it?  take care Maggie X 

Community Champion

Wonder why he's not fully booked.... ... I will have to do some more recruiting...

Thanks Maria for the clip information,  that's been a puzzle to some of us lately x

sheena

Jill I'm afraid we only have paul Daniels left at the moment,  will he do..? X

Community Champion

He's looking forward to it Sharnie....who can I get to take me to mine when I start next week,..Brad and Poldark are pretty much fully booked now.

Good luck with first rads - I'm sure you will be fine. I'm now taking painkillers to hope it helps with shoulder/neck pain. Hopefully it won't be as long today. Hoping Brad is on time to pick me up - thanks Jill 😉 Have a good day ladies xxx

Good luck with yr first zapping x

Morning ladies..
thanls Maria for that about the clips they have never mentioned that to me hope you all slwpt well thats the beat sleep ive had I a long time dodnt wake up once for loo ar anything even turned alarm off at 3am and went back off dont even remember turning it off..its gonna be a nice day today too ;0)
christine x

Me three, can't even blame the tablets (haven't started them yet). Got terrible heartburn/sweats. Can't seem to get interested in a good book, concentration at an all time low. Joyce X

Me too but reading a good book x

Ha - I will ask her, Maria! Hope you're all sleeping - had one wonderful night of normal sleep, now back to the fitful Letrozole schedule. Sigh.

mf, has your acquaintance done randomised controlled trials on her theory?  Thought not.  I get hacked off with this sort of tripe. 

Christine, I believe they also put clips in during the WLE to help show where they have excavated for reference in future mammograms and if, as in my case, they have to go back in for a second attempt to get clear margins x Maria 

Community Champion

Booked.

Jill I reckon it should be 'Handsome Hunks to the Rescue "  an I'll have Poldark from 4:45 pm for driving daily to rads and whenever he's free in between for household duties. (If only). Hope you all get a good nights sleep. Night all. Joyce  X

Good luck with it, you will be fine. Holidays are the way to go.. that's all i want to do! x
Community Champion

Good luck hope they don't keep you waiting and all goes to plan.

Evening ladies. My first zapping is tomorrow - wish me luck. I'm working from home for the 3 weeks of rads, then have one day in the office before 2 weeks in sunny (hopefully) Devon. Can't wait - have never needed a holiday as much as this one. Love to you all xx

Night Sharnie.. yes tomorrow is another day as they say in gone with the wind.. 🙂 x

Sheena they have knocked me out to be honest.. no visible effects yet but theres time! a little pain in breast too.  x

Thanks Jill! You're a star x
Community Champion

Brad booked.

Hi all and welcome to newcomers,

Jill can you organise Brad Pitt to come with me tomorrow and I could really do with a shoulder and neck massage, anyone will do! Been catching up with all the posts. Glad your afternoon went as well as could be with work - go back when you are ready and don't try to do too much too soon. I didn't realise how much rads would effect me or it could be the tamoxifen - I'm just so tired at the minute. Glad I'm not working this week. Hoping to go shopping with my daughter tomorrow after rads. My shoulder and neck are really painful tonight - it's staying still so long this morning I think. Hopefully I can sleep tonight and tomorrow will be a better day. Fingers crossed they find my clips quicker tomorrow! Going to have some painkillers before tomorrow's session to help. Goodnight all x

Community Champion

That person is obviously barking mad.

An acquaintance heard I had breast cancer and just emailed me to say "breast cancer is from an energetic rape - it could be a person place or thing - it is not physical - it took out your self nurturance. Don't believe the lies and get Jesus into your life daily to guide you." WTF?! (As the young folk say.)
Community Champion

It was as ok as these things can be mf,I can do phased return,when I finish rads .

Hope the visit from your work went OK, Jill. Can you do a phased return? I'm v lucky as I get six months on full pay and can do a phased return. I will have had the whole six months off because I had 3 ops but I can't imagine going straight back into full time, specially with Letrazole side effects. I am a single parent with mortgage so can't go part time.

Evening ladies

not been round much but been reading

welcome to new comers,  sorry you have to join us x

had number 4 today took paracetamol beforehand and then few hours later.  I know most of you haven't had too much trouble with rads,  but I think I must be in the minority

early night tonight again to try and get some sleep,  I have come to hate 4am,

sheena x

7 down 18 to go.  Have a review meeting before my rads tomorrow.  Is there anything I should be asking?  Breathing is going well during treatment, got it down to one practice breath now which speeds things up.  It's hard to phase out of the whole thing when you're constantly holding your breath and someone is counting.  I haven't had any feedback on the CT scans or seen any x rays that they keep taking yet or anything to say that my heart or lungs are in the clear.

Ha ha will do! X

Now now Lorna
I can keep you posted lol if I go missing keep the night forum up lol
christine x

Brilliant, I have a guinea pig in you Christine! Ha Ha. I will watch with interest on how you are and whether you keeleover! Lol only joking..X Sounds promising x x
Community Champion

Maria ,I am presuming my heart is the same not on the radar,I will ask.
Community Champion

Only clips I know of are ones inserted during biopsy Christine .
Community Champion

What should I call this new service???Handsome hunks to the rescue ,household hunks... handsome assistance....