363529posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darling Rads of August

Community Champion

Re: Darling Rads of August

Scar in some ways to look forward into the none cancer world that awaits ......so has anyone else tried the pollyfllla?

Just had my last but one rad and saw an occupational health person who is booking a Macmillan level four cancer rehab person (?!) to plan an exercise schedule for me in three weeks' time! They also offer a 12-week cancer rehab programme but I already belong to the gym they use so don't qualify for it. Thought some of you might be interested in accessing the rehab stuff down the line. It certainly makes me feel better knowing that this lies ahead. Marcella

You too Sharnie -  can you send me a slice of G & T cake to eat while I'm waiting for my rads today?  

Great result! My lefti girl looks pretty miserable today.

Jill will guide you through all the way with a cyber hand! It's def the easiest part of the treatment so fear not x x

Hi Jill -  I've started mine and they have even put in a Saturday appointment  this week " to meet the demand". - I didn't know radiotheraphy was such a hot ticket!  ( sorry - bad pun) yeh it isn't easy to forget reality and I've dipped abit.  They give you another load of reading and I have looked at hardly any of it.  Still can't face having all the letters around so I stuff them in an envelop and hide them in an upstairs cupboard!   Good thing is that once you start the rads you start the count downand  to being treatment free - hopefully for good! 

Hi Sheena I'm off for session 4 in a couple of hours - I'm counting them down! Finish on the 28th - when is your last one? Jennifer
Community Champion

Lorna enjoy the feeling of freedom after your last one today.I need you to fill me in on the practicalities before I start.How does the car park pass work ? what is their policy on deodorant /shaving armpit ,where do you get changed,do you have to sit in another waiting room in your gown ????Questions ,questions ...
Community Champion

Every day is one less....

Morning ladies. I'm off for rads number 3 later this morning. So far so good, although my arm is aching from having to keep it in that uncomfortable position. Hospital advice is that any shower gel etc. can be used, so  long as it doesn't contain sodium laurel sulphate. I'm using E45 cream and no redness so far.

I'm not on hormone tablets, assuming that's because my results were ER and PR negative?  Have a good day everyone. Hope the weather improves - it's chucking it down here xx

Morning all, I have been quite productive this morning, I have just made a gin and tonic cake which is currently baking in the oven - it's not for me! It's a friend's birthday today - hope it turns out ok, I don't like gin so not tempted to try it! I may need poly filler too once rads is over - apparently you can get shrinkage after - I never had much there in the first place lol! Was in pain last night and this morning so been dosing myself up on painkillers - hope it's nothing to worry about but I have my review today so will add it to the list of things! Have a good day everyone 😃 Sharon xx

Community Champion

Yes ,Im guessing polyfiller isn't included in many peoples messages!!!!

Just bought some Polyfilla, Jill. Was going to use it for the walls but will now pad out my scar and dent! Will send it over to you to share. (Just looked for an emoji for Polyfilla but there isn't one.)

Sharon we'll have to think of something nice to celebrate with. Just 5years for letrozole for me. I notice the procedure is different according to what area you live in (some are on tablets before they finish rads) Hope the weather is not to bad with you, the rain has finally caught this part of the country up, saw on the news yesterday evening that some parts have had it really bad hope all you ladies are safe.

Sheena I managed about 4-5 hours sleep which is amazing for me. Been watching American Sniper on my tablet brilliant film based on true story (language is a bit strong in places) but doesn't detrack from the film. Have a good day ladies weekend off after today. Y....a.....y. Joyce X

Community Champion

Yeh,good news Marcella!!!Got to hold on to any positive you can find!!!I am wondering about poly filler for my boob dent,what do you think ???

Morning all. Hope you're enjoying the road, Christine. Jill: it's a daunting journey. Hope you have a good week.
Woke to find left boob has swollen to match right - good news for tonight's party! (Trying to be positive.) Marcella
Community Champion

Sheena ,has sleeplessness started since you began radiotherapy ?
Community Champion

Glad you have day off Christine.Yes,need my waterproofs on to take dog out today!!
Community Champion

I have one more week of freedom then 3 weeks being confronted with the fact I have cancer every day,suddenly think I don't want to go there mentally.Have been in a little bit if a bubble for the past few weeks punctuated by the odd appointment to stress me out.

Morning ladies
im out with the hubby today in his truck horrid weather though but makes a change from hospital appointments etc just sat back chilling x
christine x

Sharon hopefully you and the other's got some sleep last night,  I got 3 hours!, woo hoo

off for session no.7

hope I can summon the energy for a walk x

must check that tv programme out, thanks

sheena x

Morning all - wide awake now! Joyce I'm 2 years post menopause but as I'm only 47 they have given me Tamoxifen for five years then I will be switched to something else. We finish rads the same day - will have to celebrate together!

Hi Maggie yes I started on 29th and finish on 19th august. Not on any tablets as yet told at my review yesterday won't be on tamoxafin as they are pre menopause I will be on letrozole (think that's how you spell it) as I am post menopause. As you can see by the time it seems it's gonna be another sleepless night for me. Think I will go and make a cup of Horlicks. Night all. Joyce x

I think traipsing up to hospital every single day makes you miserable. No hope of putting BC behind you when you are faced with the reality of it on a daily basis.

I've lost the plot - who's Joyce?

Hi Sharnie - sorry you are having a bad day.  I was told that grade 1 - 3 are all early cancers and anything up to 10mm considered small, it seems to be the type of receptor sensitivity that makes the difference.  So I don't know if it saved your life or mine but I do know that it saves over a thousand lives a year and that's good enough for me.  Anyhow I have a policy of not knowing too much about the detail - I think it drives those of us with nervous disposition quite mad with anxiety.  I'm ok today but I certainly have my down days too.  I hope you sleep we'll and feel better tomorrow. X 

Mf - a string argument for keeping the mammogram programme I guess

Me too, I would still choose to take the treatment -  it just made me think whether or not more research is needed to help prevent unnecessary invasive treatments for those who don't need them.   I think there are similar arguments around the diagnosis of prostrate cancer for men.  Seems that the treatment for that leaves many of them incontinent and impotent. 

Sharon, me and you are in the same boat x hope you get sleep xxx
Community Champion

May have to sack him and get Daniel Craig in.....Goodnight...
Community Champion

I will get Poldark to get you a pint of milk , can't believe he didn't get one in and make you hot choc,he is not getting good reviews on the housework front ....

Goodnight - I'm going to try and get some sleep - tomorrow WILL be a good day 😃 xx

Goodnight everyone, I have had it now am gong to bed while I feel tired, have fun all you night owls, tomorrow is another dayHeart

Hi Maggie, rads went better today thanks - not quite so long. Just been feeling really down this afternoon - this is not me at all - I'm usually a very positive person. Hoping I get some sleep tonight but bad thunderstorms are forecast and it's just started to rain so I think I will be awake a bit longer yet 😁 can't get up and make a hot chocolate either as am low on milk. Perhaps I will give Poldark a call to go and get some 😉 Tomorrow is hopefully a better day and then I'm actually having a whole two days off from hospital appointments 😃 xx

I know jill I am just feeling a mess.

Hi Jo   Yes  they told me I was ER negative HER2 negative and cant remember the other results but it is Grade 3 Invasive Ductal Cancer, Onc told me I would get no benefit from Herceptin or Tamoxifen and at first I was having Chemo and then the risk to my existing heart condition would outweigh the benefit of Chemo, so am just going to start Rads on 18th.

I was on HRT from the age 43 after total hysterectomy -no flushes or anything felt great.  The had heart bypass 2009 and had to come off HRT there and then and went straight into menopause --hate it ---hate it.

I have never even been to GP or natural remedies to try to ease them, I just plod on and most of the time I am a typical menopausal raging lunatic, and some days ok, can seem to find out when this will finish though?

Wonder if I could get somethng from them even if just having rads??

Community Champion

We would all like that Maggie!!!

I dont think so Jill,   I dont like ME at the moment, I want to be me at 30 again, the head is ok but the body speaks volumes Ha HaWoman LOL

Hi Amber, no they won't give you anything like tamoxifen or Letrozole if you are triple negative as it won't have any effect if your cancer isn't receptive to oestrogen, a friend of mine is going through Chemo for TN at the minute but she is taking something for her hot flushes as they took her off off HRT on diagnosis and they came back with a vengeance! I'm sure there is something they could give you to help xx Jo 

Jill1998   I agree with you Jill  its better to be safe than sorry  Maggie

Community Champion

You are obviously blessed with less floppy boobs Maggie !!I am looking forward to seeing my bra again, hope it hasn't been lonely...

Sharnie    hope all went well today Maggie

Jill1998  was it your chat I read that you didnt want to come back another day with an "older bra" so you let them cut that one and went home braless?    if so you made me laugh, but how big/floppy is big?   I went armed to the planning appointment on Monday, with old bra older top in case marker/ink got on other clothes, didnt need them Woman Very Happy  take care Maggie XX

Mf     Ah thanks for the reply,   I was just worried about things "they dont tell you that can happen".  I cant have Tamoxifen, herceptin, as I was Triple Negative results.  I am still going through menopause sweats etc. would I get Letrozole??  no one has mentioned any tablets at planning meeting and I spoke to Oncologist again at this one.

Tweeks123  I think that is really bad, they could be a bit more considerate its bad enough when you have had surgery to even bare all to a spouse let alone total strangers at a hospital all of the age of 10.   I would take a dressing gown (it opens at the front!) and say "do you mind if I use this - you can open it when ready to give treatment"    maybe they will get the message --- NHS   I think notWoman FrustratedMaggie XX

PS Joyce is it the Rads you started on 29th.?

Hi Joyce   what is it thats making a lot of ladies have sleepless nights every night? Is it tablets you are on? Just wondering as I only have sleepless nights since worry of BC and Surgery oh and natural menopause, but dont have any tablets for BC and havent had Chemo.    Just wondering.  Maggie XX

Lorna you need a nickname something like spongehead maybe or change the tablets - only joking Heart Maggie X

Community Champion

I will make sure he turns up on time or he is sacked, he may be Poldark but he cant take the p**s.Make sure he does ironing /washing up too...

Hi Lorna    I guess I am lucky with times after reading about other ladies saying how they are given next appointment at end of each session.   I never hold my breath with hospital appointment times - anything could happen it all looks good on paper.  Have you done anything good today? I could not contain my excitement this morning I was visiting THE DENTIST 2 FILLINGS Woman LOL  take care MaggieXX