69236members
363526posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darling Rads of August

Re: Darling Rads of August

12 down, 13 to go.  Had to wait an hour and a half for my appointment today Smiley Sad

I am supposed to go back to work on the 1st but my treatment doesn't finish until the 7th and all my appointments are in the middle of the day (at various times).  I could really do with a few days after the treatment ends to recover from it all.  I am anxious about asking for any time off as I have already had 2 weeks off after the second op.  Is it better to ask to be signed off? I have a review meeting next Wednesday but only with the Snr. Radiologist, not sure he would be able to help.

Community Champion

Friday.

Jill don't you start today? X

Good luck Maggie..you will be fine x

Best of luck Maggie xx

Good luck Maggie! I don't go til lunchtime today - messed the day up a bit but only two more left now 😃 Had a rubbish night again, Nytol and hot chocolate didn't help. I tried out a sleep app last night which monitors your movements and how well you sleep - quite interesting, not sure how accurate it is though! Have a good day fellow zappers, it's miserable here - been raining all night and hasn't stopped yet! 

Hi Maggie,  good luck today.  I'm sure you will find it much better than you anticipated. I'm 21 down, 4 to go and the tiredness didn't hit me until 14 sessions in.  The first couple of weeks I was bursting with energy.  This was the easiest bit for me, possibly because the stress had lifted post surgery, knowing I had clear margins, knowing I didn't have another op in the immediate future. The staff at Leicester Royal have been really lovely.  I will quite miss them. Good luck xx enjoy party xx

Community Champion

Good luck Maggie!!

Hi Maggie. Good luck for your first rads today - you'll be fine. I've had 4 sessions so far and haven't had any problems. Have a lovely time at your Grandson's party xx

So glad that Bradley was a good listener after your tough day, Jill! I had a nice meal out to celebrate the end of rads, though I nearly fell asleep in my spaghetti. Totally wiped out today but will have to give myself a shake - have my youngest grandson today and have to get my youngest son packed to go camping. Hope you have a good day.

Good luck on your first rads today, Maggie. You're bound to feel vulnerable. It's good you'll have the distraction of a party. I was fine physically after my first session, so hopefully you will be too. I found that tiredness hit me about two hours later, but that was in weeks two and three. Marcella

Morning to all,  hope all your days are good ones.   I am just waiting,waiting, to get going for my first Rads today.

I have been up since 5.20am my stomach is churning, I have had breakfast but feel a bit sickly, its just like when I was waiting for the results and appointments to come, just want to get on with it, but theres no turning back now thenWoman Sad

My appointment is 11.30 and then when I get back I am off to my Grandsons Birthday party (2) at 2.30pm.  I am sure Rads wont effect me on first one???   will let you know how I got on.   take care all Maggie XX

Community Champion

Well done Marcella!!Enjoy your meal out! Bradley Cooper been and cooked tea and asked me to tell him all about radiotherapy and my Tamoxifen side effects,so I feel better now ....

Hi girls..Just to say I've not abandoned you. Have my bro Visiting from Canada and off to a spa tomorrow to recharge from the rads. Normal service will resume shortly, meanwhile sending you all love and strength..X x x

I think people just deal with things in different ways.  My husband does have a tendency to minimise things when they get a bit heavy, or just assume everything will be okay. That's his way.  It drives me nuts because it feels insensitive. However my way drives him nuts too.  My jokes on the way to his endoscopic bowel examination really upset him. I was just trying to lighten the mood! 

Or loan him out at least...........my rads session took ages today because one of the machines had broken down. Left home at 11 am and got home at 4pm completely ruined the day.  Not as bad as spending it at care homes tho'.  Sorry you've had to do that whilst trying to steel yourself for rads.  

Fingers, toes and a few prayers coming your way for Thursday.......

Amazing Sharnie - I've done nothing and I've only had 6/15. 

That's the spirit!  My BC nurse said that it will recover but unfortunately not to its former glory.  I guess you can't have everything!  Have a well deserved celebration. X 

Sorry Jill I will try to behave from now on!!!! And not a chance am I cloning him 😬😬

Well nap didn't happen! My cat decided to go to sleep underneath me and my son came and sat on the bed playing games on his I pad! Oh well probably for the best - might help me sleep tonight. Jill hope you have a nicer day tomorrow! Sheena hope you get on ok Thursday. Fingers crossed it's nothing untoward. I have been getting pains in boob for the last few days but they don't seem concerned just told me to take painkillers! Now going to watch the rest of a movie I started on Saturday night. Hope I can keep awake for the ending! Still getting hot flushes so Tamoxifen still having effects! 

Community Champion

Men are generally pretty rubbish with emotional support aren't they, think their brains are just not as well developed as ours...Jo ,stop showing we know off yours is a star ,need to clone him!!!
Community Champion

Oh dear God, what a depressing day!!!4 care home visited, one I wouldn't leave my hamster in,one she could have stayed at the Ritz for less,final visit bingo !!!Lovely place , small ,friendly didn't smell of p**s ,everyone of the residents was awake and cheerful...what a way to spend a beautiful sunny day...

Thanks so much Sandra xx

Hi tweasel, pretty much from the beginning and as of today I've had 8 sessions xx

Thanks for all the support ladies,  means a lot x 

Marcella, bloody fantastic,  well done and a bit of a celebration for you tonight if you can stay awake,  love real housewives,  makes me feel normal lol x

Sharnie, nearly done!,, 

I've got my appointment for ultra sound before rads om Thursday morning to check out the lump on my collar bone,  fingers crossed it's nothing sinister

sheena x

Thanks, Sharnie. Those last ones are a struggle. I don't know how you managed to clean the house on top of all that! I've been beached slack-jawed on the sofa watching Real Housewives of NJ. Managed to bribe my 17-y-old to mow the lawn.

Well done on completing your rads - I have two left - can't wait to finish now. Took 25 minutes again today 😓 half the day was gone by the time I got back. Feeling really worn out now but have cleaned the house top to bottom. Think I'm going to have a nap. 😴

Thanks, Jennifed. The left boob is well and truly cooked - it's brown and lumpy, a bit like my Sunday roast! The top part is quite swollen from rads but the lower area is floppy and feels like it belongs to someone else. (I'm grateful to have it, though.) Off out to celebrate another milestone.

Sheena - sorry you are suffering so much. It's horrible. Hope the birthday meal went well. Jennifer

Hurrah!  How is your breast looking?  I swear mine is starting to shrivel! 

Had last rads today - hurray! Hope your last sessions go well, Sheena. I'm seeing the oncologist next Mobday re my bladder probs with Letrozole. Bladder is a bit better off it but it's taking a while to clear my system - I'm feeling woolly headed like I did the first week I took it.

Hope she does well - what lousy timing.

Just as long as you are still able to get the groceries and cook the meals it seems that all is well in a mans world ( apologies to those of you with more emotionally well developed partners) .  My second week and I want to moan today................

Jill - I couldn't agree more!  I wrote a week ago that my husband got a shock when he came to the first  rad session with me last Tuesday and he acknowledged that having daily radiotheraphy was " a big thing" but he's pretty much back to the "what's all the fuss about?" Attitude this week.  Like you I don't want to talk about cancer all the time but I wouldn't mind a bit of concern - so far, I'm not having much in the way of physical side effects but every day I wake up and think "s**t " how did I get here?  Each time I lie under the giant machine and watch the green laser cut through my left breast I think about my shrinking bap and worry that it is a) working and b) not hurting any of my other vitals!  Can you get someone to give him a wake up call?  My daughter dies her best but basically he is just not facing up to reality. Are your side effects from the letrozole improving? 

Hi sheena bet you will be glad to get this radiotherapy over with take care thinking of you xx

Hi Sheena, just noticed your post 're: side effects of of radiotherapy. Sorry to hear you're having a tough time. Just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and sending you my very best wishes along with birthday wishes for your son. Take care x

Sorry you are suffering Sheena. Hope you feel well enough for your son's birthday meal tomorrow. How far through rads are you? Did you start to get SEs straight away? Xx

Jill, what bad timing, if you feel that your not up to it just say so and defo don't make plans to go on Friday after the 1st session.
It's my son's birthday tomorrow so have promised him a fancy lunch out somewhere, bless him he said only if you feel up to it, as you know I'm having all possible se from rads and am miserable x

Sharon, I'm sure you will get the holiday feeling soon. Almost there girl! X

Marcella, lucky you last rads,  I am looking forward to that day.  Sounds like there are a good few men are going to be fired into your machine.  It made me laugh so much x Thanks x

sheena x

Good luck to your daughter for GCSEs, Sharnie. My youngest son had ASs during my ops, which I felt terrible about. He did really well, though probably not as well as if I'd been ok.

Jill make sure you do some nice things too - I know how depressing looking at care homes is - my nan was in one and I went round with my mum to look at them. I will send Poldark over on his horse to whisk you away for lunch!

Timing is not good, I had my daughter taking her GCSEs when I was diagnosed and she was stressed over that and me telling her I had bc didn't help. She gets her results this week so fingers crossed she gets what she needs to go to sixth form. 

Not much of a holiday for you, Jill. I went round care homes for my mum last year - v depressing, especially when you're going through this. Hope you stop off for some nice food.

Last week of rads - hooray! Roll on Wednesday! Really must start organising my packing for holiday - just can't get in the right frame of mind - hopefully after last session I will. Aching a bit from my bike ride yesterday but need to try and keep up the exercise - beach body ready ha,ha! Have a good day all x

Community Champion

Not his fault,or hers ,but thinking nice timing...
Community Champion

I start on Friday,husband off work this week ,was hoping to do some nice things as next 3 weeks going to be pretty c**p.Guess what we are doing instead, going looking round care homes for his mother.....

Ah Ladies I will have to lend you my hubby! 😉 he's a gem! We don't talk about it all the time but hes brilliant when we do, he is just so happy to see me back to normal and will openly admit this has all shaken him to the core, it's the only time apart from our boys being born he's cried, he's not a wimp by any means he's a burly builder and my absolute rock! And of course now after all ive been through he can't deny me a thing so it has its advantages!!!!! 😜😜

Thanks, all. Out for a meal tonight to celebrate last rads. Good luck to everyone today. x

Good luck with last rads today get that machine up n running x
christine x