363527posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darling Rads of August

Community Champion

Re: Darling Rads of August

Good luck and best wishes anyone with kids getting exam results tomorrow .

I will check out that article Tweasel, thanks. Oh dear burning boiled eggs - what are we like! I do wonder if I'm safe to be out in the real world ha, ha! Tomorrow is another day - hopefully I will remember to put the teabag in . I usually have a protein smoothie for breakfast - that may be too dangerous 😂😂 xxx

I think it changes how you look at things and realise just what is important. I get annoyed when people are stressing or moaning over trivial things. I do wonder how we will move on after this but I guess time is the best healer, I will always have a slight worry at the back of my mind about recurrence. It's not realistic to expect life gets back to normal as soon as we finish treatment. I'm off to bed now to try and get some sleep - better get the whale songs on! Goodnight all xx

Hey Sharnie.. I actually burnt two boiled eggs tonight! put them on and fell asleep! .. heads mashed x

Thanks, Tweasel - a good article.

Any threat to life is considered a trauma so this is just as stressful as being attacked by a shark...except this isn't over in minutes but lasts months if not years! It's a wonder we're still sane.x
Community Champion

Yes Marcella, I start Friday. Tweasal ,I had read the article,having cancer really does have a big impact on you emotionally as well as physically.

I forgot to mention that there's an article called 'After the treatment finishes, then what' by Dr. Peter Harvey that I found really helpful. You can easily find it using good old Google xx

Are you starting rads this week, Jill? Think I remember reading that. If so, good luck.

Hello lovely ladies. I had session no. 6 today and skin is starting to redden now :(. I'm slapping on the E45 and hoping it doesn't get too bad. Tomorrow is going to be hectic - have appointment at one hospital in the morning for Herceptin, then a different hospital in the afternoon for rads, then back to the first hospital in the evening for appointment with the oncologist. Hope everyone is doing ok xx

Community Champion

My driving has been really badly affected, so many near misses..
Community Champion

Yes, good question , I guess we will find a way for sanity's sake coz otherwise life will be dominated by anxiety and fear.

You only realise when the tea is a muddy brown and getting stronger and stronger! My concentration is shot. Friends recommend books to keep me occupied not realising I have the attention span ofna goldfish.

I did wonder now I've finished rads if I should try to forget it all but that's impossible. Then I started wondering whether they'd got rid of it all or not and what if?! This just goes on and on. Put it in a little box, yes, but how?

Takeadeepbreath we should get together to make tea, at least you remembered to put the teabag in!

I also made a cup of tea and forgot to put the teabag in today! I don't think I should be trusted with anything at the minute! 

Community Champion

It will be always there in the background I guess ,I suppose we need to find a way to put it a little box and not let it dominate our lives.

I know, Jill. I sometimes feel life will never be the same again. When the doc mentioned ruling out bladder cancer when I had blood in my urine, I felt really shocked - the risk of recurrence will always be hanging over me.
Community Champion

Brain has been mulched by this whole experience I guess ...

I leave the teabag in the mug by mistake. My head is all over the place.

True though champers would've been nicer!
Community Champion

Good luck tomorrow Julie ...may take you up on the Preston Party ,though Im suspecting I may not be up to much at the end if this saga .
Community Champion

Tadb ,at least making you a hot water bottle shows some concern !!!

Ha ha, Sharnie - my brain is not functioning either. Made a pot of tea with no tea in.

Yes they are all so sympathetic not! I'm going to have bubbles tomorrow as its my friends birthday and am going for afternoon tea. At least all my girlfriends know how to deal with me! I have to be up early to get exam results tomorrow - hope I don't forget and drive to the hospital by mistake! I'm really not concentrating well today, put a couple of hot cross buns under the grill and wondered why they weren't toasting - I had turned the oven on and not the grill!! 

I guess I'll have to settle for the hot water bottle he's making for me (I am so tired zzzz) instead of the champers! At least I'm getting my hair cut and dyed tomorrow after weeks of not really caring.
Community Champion

Yes I know ,helps keep me sane as no one no matter how hard they try who has not been through it can understand .Well done Tadb for getting through the marathon!!!!You deserve a lovely meal out with champers not to come home to a miserable face!!

Hi Jill and takeadeepbreath. Sorry your guys seem to be in denial. Thank goodness for this forum. x

Jill it's a hard time isn't it. I truly think most family/friends were so shocked an traumatised by it they have to shut down a bit. Doesn't help us lot who are left reeling from it all. I don't know what the answer is. x

I know what you mean. I finished rads today and bounced in the door, only to find him looking glum which annoyed me so much I flounced upstairs. Now I feel strangely flat, unsure of how to adjust without the daily trek to hospital. It's hard to talk about as people assume now treatment is over, that's it.

Good luck with your rads. I feel tired and washed out but OK otherwise xxx
Community Champion

Just tried to have a conversation about how I'm feeling, why did I bother.,,

They do give you a gown at Preston for the length of your treatment. I found them to be a very nice bunch of radiographers.. soem of them look so young! or am I getting old? 🙂 x

Jill we will party in preston when it's over  and Maggie thank you for taking the time to explaine the appointment I don't know if we get a gown at preston, will let u know tomorrow take care ladies who are starting rads or stll having . treatment and you lucky ones who have finished ,. Julie x

Maybe Macmillan will help fund it!
Community Champion

BCEE,again something that should be given to every woman on diagnosis ...
Community Champion

Well I may be able to help you with that...

😂😂 can't wait to see your machine on Dragon's Den - be a best seller! 

Yes, the machine is ready - just needs a human guinea pig! 🏃🏽
Community Champion

I like your approach !!!Have you got the machine up and running yet??

Hi Jill. Sorry you're not getting support. Macmillan do a booklet on supporting people with cancer, which you could put on the pillow, with my Breast Cancer Empathy Educator (aka penile lumpectomy and toaster machine) at the other end of the bed. x
Community Champion

Champers whole bottle , all mine..... Good plan.

This is true Jill but we deserve all the respect we can get for what we've had to go through, not many people ask me how I am these days! They are back to loading their problems on me again.... Life is back to normal !! 

Community Champion

Could be worse I guess....if you know what I mean Jo....

Get yourself a bottle of champers Jill and drink it all on your own when you've finished! better still share it with us on here, we all know what your going through 🍸🍸 had I Not got the support I've had from Mike he would have found himself strangled in his sleep I think !! 😜

not too much to ask Jill x

Community Champion

Yeh, stick with the vodka!!!Hopefully as stress levels die down you will get into more normal sleep patterns.I guess I am just feeling a bit needy today,just would like some acknowledgement that this is bit of a rubbish time for me.

Sorry to hear that Jill, I don't think anyone understands how this affects us, unless you are going through it yourself. I have finished with Poldark now so will send him over to cheer you up. It's mentally exhausting as well as physically. Some of my friends thought you get treated once a week! I don't think they appreciate what it's like to go everyday for several weeks! Just grabbed a quick nap - feel a little better. The radiographer told me to try and do some relaxation techniques to help me sleep but I don't think that's really me. Perhaps I should get some whale songs, light some insence sticks and sit cross legged on the floor ha, ha! I might resort to a vodka and tonic tonight more my style! Xx

It's an odd feeling isn't it jill I'm getting 'so that's it, your cured' and left thinking actually that's not it, I'm mentally and physically exhausted and it will take me a long time to get over not to mention the time it will take to believe I'm clear. God knows how long that takes...suppose they just want to move on from it as quickly as possible ...don't we all! Lol x
Community Champion

Bet you are glad to get your life back Sharon !!!!!Maybe you will find sleep will come more easily now.Feeling fed up today,doesn't appear to be any recognition here (at home) that having radiotherapy for 3 weeks to treat cancer is anything worth bothering about or that finishing it will warrant any sort of "celebration",just inconvenience over .,,