374471posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darling Rads of August

familytree

Re: Darling Rads of August

Oh bless Jill...terrible waiting so long, like you're not anxious enough! I'm all over the place now I'm half way through rads. Is it the fact that it's nearly over or is it nerves that it's nearly over and you're on your own! God knows but I prefer to laugh if I have a choice 😉 x
tweeks123

I used to take baby wipes and wipe under my arm before getting in bed for rads.. showerd before I went but uncented so never felt clean then I got some uncented deodorant..you do feel a bit embarrassed when they are leaning so close to you right under your arms..I always thoufht the hardest part was keeping dead wieght while they tried shuffle me up or down I found it hard not to help them move me ..your all getting through your rads now not long keep slapping the cream on ..and plucking the beards of course..Xx

christine x
familytree

Sizzling tits..hilarious! Yes I am a tad concerned they don't agree. The Preston onc called the Wigan one naughty when I told her what he recommended. In turn the Wigan one was puzzled at her recommendation...fight! 😉 lol. I've decided not to decide...get the radar out of the way. Haven't got the energy to speak to them again! X
Jill1998
Community Champion

Is it the heat of the bath or just having a bath Sheena??0
Jill1998
Community Champion

You take it on turns to either laugh or cry your way through this!!!Was doing both at same time during my marathon 2.5 hour wait for my radiotherapy planning.
missmore

Joyce, I've been told not to take hot baths as well, I spoke to a macmillan nurse and she advised only to go swimming in the sea, salt water x
missmore

Lorna
I'm struggling to understand why the different doctors are advising different drugs and leaving the choice up to you! That is crazy, I really feel for you x
Sheena x
missmore

Ladies
between beards, drugs, sizzling tits you have just got to laugh at the whole bloody situation!
Thank goodness for being able to get things off your chest, no pun intended x
sheena x
Jill1998
Community Champion

I have bought a crystal deodorant from Holland and Barrett, I was told that they are ok to use although I will check when I start.It does work but not as well as normal deodorant .
familytree

Ha ha Jill. I'm more embarrassed in case I smell when I raise my arm up for dads! Always apologising in case I do! X
Jill1998
Community Champion

Napping girl,it does help doesn't it knowing ,other people are having to go through this too and really understand.
Jill1998
Community Champion

Not looking forward to my gorilla armpit....will go with my beard though.....
familytree

Oops no soaking in bath you say? They never told me that ..just no swimming, deodorant or shaving. I've been having Himalayan pink salt baths to combat radiation poisoning ( told it would help!) Lol
Lorna x
nappinggirl

2 down 23 to go.  It was a lot quicker today, only 20 minutes and I went in 10 minutes before my appointment time.  They put some probes on my breast to monitor the dosage of radiation.  Had more x-rays.  They said they will do x-rays every day for the first week and then once a week after that.  The machine did crash into my elbow today as it moved around, I must have long arms!  missmore - thanks, I slept like a log last night! I think I was just anxious about starting the treatment and the unknown.  Hope it all goes well for you tomorrow x   About the spa, I was told that I couldn't go swimming during treatment and to not soak in the bath either! Thanks to everyone who writes on here, it's so lovely not to be going it alone x

Whitejasmin

Thanks Christine, my daughter-in-law was on about us and her mum doing a spa day when I finish rads, glad I mentioned it. I have another 11 treatments to go so thinking I'll leave it until I've finished altogether. We have enough to go through without putting ourselves at risk of anything else. Take care thanks for your input. Joyce X

tweeks123

Morning Joyce
I was going away for the weekend on my last week of rads ..they told me not to swim sauna jacuzzi due to chemicals said so I didnt go in but all our friends did ;0( I wasnt taking any chances..at that stage I was all red and just starting to get little blisters so I glad I didnt go in the spa or I would have blamed myself for going in im 2mnths post rads now and only just statyed using scented stuff in bath shower etc..all through rads I used uncented soap and sometimes showerd with Aqueous cream too..im still itchy on my boob at times ..but its settled down now swelling gone im back in my normal bra's again ive ditched my hammock ! Take care ladies onwards n upwards x

christine x
familytree

Just seen your 'holding your breath for 30 seconds' you couldn't make it up could you! sorry to laugh but it gets more hilarious by the minute! x

familytree

Yes that's right Jenni but the other can cause other things just as if not more sinister... just the luck of the draw at the end of the day isn't it! I am leaving it all until the rads are over and iv'e chilled a bit... enough is enough! lol x

Jill1998
Community Champion

All very complicated,my joints have really stated to ache today ,think may be Tamoxifen .
Jennifed

Blimey!  I hadn't heard about having to stand up for an hour after bone building tablets. What with having to hold my breath for 30 seconds during rads - I think I need a personal trainer to help with all this!  My oncologist said that letrozole reduces your bone density and tamoxifen builds it up - that's why I'm having 3 years of one and two of the other.  Seems like we all get different advice. I don't know what's best either....

Jill1998
Community Champion

Oh I'm sure life has a few more things to throw at us...!
familytree

I am having to pluck a bit more these days! ... can we throw anything else in the mix! 🙂 x

Jill1998
Community Champion

Beards are back in fashion so should be fine....
Whitejasmin

No not a school a retail store. Joyce X
Whitejasmin

That's the best laugh I've had in a while Jill. I think with all the other problems we've got a beard should set things of nicely. Joyce X

familytree

Joyce do you work at school too? I was hoping to return in Sept also but have a sick note for longer. With peoples comments on the tiredness hitting you after the rads I may stay off longer. If this rubbish teaches you nothing else it tells you to look after yourself doesn't it x

Whitejasmin

Hi missmore just saw your post. Yes to all you've asked since the op but have been worse since starting rads. I had my op beginning of June. I'm hoping to get back to work September. Joyce x
familytree

Howling here Jill.. too funny!! x

familytree

I was thinking the same last night Joyce. I suppose if they don't put product near the area it should be fine? I certainly need a massage, my neck is in agony some days... tension! x

Jill1998
Community Champion

Joyce ,the comment about beard was not intended to inform decision re spa treatment.....it was in reply to Lorna!!
Whitejasmin

Darling Rads of August

Just managed to get logged on again, keeps asking me to change my password. Oh the joys of technology. Hope you are all well and not getting to down hearted with this new system. I am getting so frustrated it's unbelievable. Hope it's sorted soon. Anyone know anything about if it's ok to have a spa treatment (massage/jacuzzi/sauna that sort of stuff) just after finishing rads.. Joyce X

Jill1998
Community Champion

Well I'm working on a beard....
Whitejasmin

Just managed to get logged on again, keeps asking me to change my password. Oh the joys of technology. Hope you are all well and not getting to down hearted with this new system. I am getting so frustrated it's unbelievable. Hope it's sorted soon. Anyone know anything about if it's ok to have a spa treatment (massage/jacuzzi/sauna that sort of stuff) just after finishing rads.. Joyce X

familytree

No HRT they said it wouldn't agree with me...Hope I don't turn into a man! 🙂 x

Jill1998
Community Champion

Very unfair you would have thought you were low risk did you take HRT, oestrogen made in other ways too isn't it though.
familytree

They both have their side effects but hopefully none appear! I'm fine taking letrozole ...don't really want to change after 3 months on them but need more advice. If the drs can't agree then how can I decide! I can't believe I've got an oestrogen based cancer after finishing menopause at 42...didn't think I had much left! Lol. X
Sharnie

Hi Jennifer, you should be ok to plan a few days out while having rads. I have been getting more tired the more I have had. At my hospital I am having Wednesday and Sunday's off and going on the rest of the days including Saturdays, so I don't get a two day break. I think this makes a difference. The tiredness doesn't kick in straight after rads either, my appointments are mostly mornings and I find by about three o clock I'm getting tired. Just be kind to yourself and see how you go. I fell asleep in the cinema on Saturday and it was only 7.30! I used to be a real night owl as well! I'm not sure if the Tamoxifen is to blame as well, I've not been sleeping well since I started taking it. I had my op the beginning of May - it just seems such a long time and I think it's mentally draining as well as physically. I'm taking each day as it comes, I'm working part time but finding on the days I work I need to go to bed when I get home. Take care, Sharon x

Jill1998
Community Champion

Don't like the sound of Letrozole.
Jill1998
Community Champion

7.45?I def need to ring up appointments and plead my case for morning appointments,why are they so random?
familytree

I'm Herr now...745 appointment! Missing corri! Lol x
tweeks123

Wow that nasty Letrozole eh! Sums it all up why my bones are weak..hate taking them more than anything in the world..ans as for the tiredness kicking in after rads im a zombi when it gets to lunch time and its two months since my rads...I was fine througj rads just thee end got me ..sat chilling with a glass of wine now im fed up wuth all the appotments been pysio today been left with frozen shoulder can have injection BUT ! Need to speak to oncologist next week see if can have injections because cant have injections or blood pressure in right arm now due to lynthnoids being removed so cant see me getting injection..im drowning my sorrows with a glasd if wine ;0( take care every one there's gotta be light at the end of the tunnel xx

christine xx
familytree

I am on letrozole but my dexa scan shows osteoperosis so one of my drs wants me to stay on it with suppliments and a bone building drug... the other dr wants me to swap it to tamoxofen with same suppliments and bone building drugs.. great they cant agree but it does look like letrozole is harsh on the bones whereas the other isnt.. though the other has its own downfalls too... I dont know what to do! I dont want to take the bone builder it has terrible reports... then hey presto its on the news for helping it stop bc spreading to the bones...give me  strength! You take it once a week and have to stand up for half an hour... sounds great! x

missmore

Hi nappinggirl
hopefully you'll get a decent sleep tonight, and ready to face round 2
sheena x
missmore

Hi Jennifer

love the violent to your bones! Sums it all up lol

wondering what she would say about tamoxifen? Guess we just have to take each treatment day at a time,  some people saying it's nearer the end that you get really tired

sheena x

Jennifed

Agree about Cilla - I was born and brought up in Liverpool and I had a huge poster of her in my bedroom when I was a kid. Very upsetting but thank God it wasn't cancer - what a way to go.
Jennifed

Sheena - I start my rads next week and I'm feeling very on edge.  Had my bone scan today and the lovely young lady said letrozole is " violent to your bones" - she was Eastern European and so this may explain her choice of words!  Not sleeping too well either.  I 'be been planning some outings to compliment the daily rads but I have no idea if I will be up to shopping/ lunching / traipsing around London.  If anyone has started rads already - what's your advice.  Should I plan to spend the rest of the day in bed? Jennifer' x 

familytree

I think we are all mentally drained by the time we come to the rads. It's such a big gap from surgery it's painful waiting. I am feeling tired after 6 and I have had my share of crying. You would think I was related to our cilla! Lol ( though I was born in Liverpool;) be kind to yourself...it will all soon be over and we can come in here and support all the poor newbies. X x x
missmore

Hi Joyce
can I ask if you felt tired and weepy before you started rads and was sleeping a problem too?
I start on Thursday and already feel weepy, panicky and cannot sleep. I'm still not at work, had my op end of may
sheena x
Sharnie

Number 11 today - almost halfway for me! I'm really struggling with tiredness now. Have decided I need to rest more and hope it makes me feel better - feel like a zombie at the moment! The sessions do get quicker as you get used to getting into the correct position. I had X-rays taken a couple of times for some reason. I'm now getting so used to going it will feel strange when I don't have to go anymore! 

familytree

That was definitely my biggest fear but it's just a round headed thing and doesn't close you in at all! Just moves over you. It'd nothing like the ct scanner. It's the unknown that gets to you but I can assure you it's one of the easiest things to go through. X