Darling Rads of May

87 REPLIES 87
DizzyDee
Community Champion

Re: Darling Rads of May

Great to hear you've finished Kim. Well done! 😊xx
Jobey68

Im all done now,last one yesterday 😊back out in the world of normality now! Going to be so odd not having to rush off after work today,i will have to come home and clean the house instead now i suppose 😉 best of luck to you all just starting or going through treatment Xxx jo
Judithvr6

Hi all,

I'm glad to hear people are doing well post treatment or coming near to the end.

I think I'm at the 'diagnosed it, treated it, get on with life' stage now though having been in the situation years ago I am maybe better prepared for the 'getting back on with life' bit.

Hope things go smoothly for those still having treatment.

J

Whitfield

Well done Blossom and good luck with future.

Pam x
Blossom64

Finish tomorrow with treatment review this afternoon after my session - all gone well boob is definitely pinker than the other one and starting to get a bit sore around the nipple area.  Still not sure about the lumpy bumpy area above the spot they operated on whether this is still where they manipulated during the operation or something else may call my BCN.  Feels odd to be finishing treatment - still on the letrozole but life will start returning to normal but not sure I am ready for that especially at work where they want me to start on quite a major project in next few weeks.  Good news is my critical illness insurance is paying out so might be able to start some plans that dont include my current work / life balance.  Good luck to everyone else xx

Jobey68

That's great to hear Petal, I've got 2 days left and am a little pink but I've not be the best at moisturising I must admit!! I did buy some aloe Vera this weekend and it's so much better already, we are off on holiday in just over 3 weeks so I'm hoping it's settled down by then! I've got my factor 50 at the ready ☀️☀️ Xx Jo
Petal123

Hi ladies just thought I would give you an update. Am now nearly 3 weeks post rads and haven't had any burns or blisters. Skin isn't pink anymore either. Had telephone check up last week and was told only have to apply cream until Tuesday. Hope everyone else is doing ok. Xxx
Codiesue

Hi Pam, I had several reiki sessions whilst having chemo and could feel the heat from her hands on my left boob, my right knee which is arthritic and around my kneck (don't know what that is, hope nothing serious) Afterwards my therapist got really bad headaches ( she thinks from all the toxins in my body) so we stopped for a while but we are going to give reflexology a go next week instead. I also had some massage and reiki at my chemo centre, I do think these alternative therapies are very good some therapist's just hold hands a few inches away from your body and some actually lay their hands on you. Mine costs £30 per hour which I can claim back on Medicash. I see lots of colours when having treatments but never gold.

Had number 8/15 today and clavicle area is a bit prickly tonight so hope it doesn't break out. Sue x

Whitfield

Ziplt - strangely when I have had massage I see colours mainly purple and red but not l,aced much upon this. I love the sound of what your getting. Is Reiki a sort of hands on healing and what involved? I could do with some of this and wonder how to get a good experienced person to do me.

Can you give me an idea on the above and cost. Maybe ask Annie?

Pam x
ZipIt

PS: should read "heat coming through her hands"
ZipIt

Dear Darling Rads of May, especially Pamela,  Eileen and Judith and thank you for your lovely words and virtual hugs. Betty ( Boob ) is turning slowly darker by the day. The spots are standing out more, but not showing signs of erupting at the moment. Am feeling tired but that is mainly to do with driving 70 miles to Mum's house and spending all day running around sorting things out to get it on the market.  Just wanted to share something with you. The other day I had my first ever Reiki session with a lovely lady called Annie.  Didn't know what to expect but thought it couldn't hurt. Anyway, I was amazed at the amount of hear coming through her hands. I found it incredibly relaxing, and sometime into the session, I started to see tendrils of gold lights dancing around my eyelids. They became brighter and more intricate, and as Annie moved around me I as able to see her outline through my closed eyelids as the gold lights were so bright. When the session finished after an hour, she brought me a drink of fresh lemonade. As I drank she asked me if I had seen any colour,  and when I told her they were gold, she was amazed. Apparently these are very powerful and not seen by many. As a Reiki master of many years, she has seen various colours when having a treatment herself, but never been lucky enough to see gold (her words). As well as feeling relaxed when I left after the Reiki, I also felt at peace as well as invigorated. Family and friends in the ensuing days have commented on how well I look, and my husband tells me I seem calm and contented. I am going to see Annie again this week. Virtual hugs to everyone.  I hope you are all keeping well. Petra xx

Judithvr6

Fingers crossed things don't get too much worse and virtual hugs to all.

Breathing..

I've thought I am a little wheezy, tight chested but when I mentioned it during treatment I was told it was nothing to do with rads.

I've just got copies of my Drs notes from radio, chemo back in 1993 and I see that on finishing radio (20 doses with 5 boosters) my Dr was told all went well though I developed a chest infection requiring antibiotics.

Interesting.

eileen728

That's nice Pam! A very good way of looking at things. Have used these last few weeks to re-connect with a lot of good friends I had been neglecting because I was always too busy... Realise now what is really important . And I appreciate little things so much more . Virtual hug from me too Zipit. Hope the blistering doesn't happen! Glad you doing OK Judith - almost every time I went for radio they kept telling me I may still get a bad reaction but nearly 2 weeks after finishing I haven't as yet. The breathing thing sounds a bit complicated J - quite glad I was right side so didn't have to.
And maybe there are times when being small is good Jo - didn't think so when I was a teenager and all my mates seemed to be so much more well developed than me!
Love to everyone xxx
Whitfield

Ziplt - here's a virtual hug.

You are right we are the lucky ones. We have found the cancer and are dealing with it. Many people don't even know they have it and some people may just have an accident and die. We have been given the light to see we must enjoy our lives as they are short for everyone so now I appreciate things like flowers and hearing bird song.

Love and light to everyone and keep drinking the water as rads really dries the skin.

Pam x
ZipIt

Hello all. Today was another momentous day. Had my last radiotherapy session and received the probate grant for Mum's estate. This brought it home to me that she has really gone, and I got a little teary. But the lovely young ladies at radiotherapy brought a smile to my face again.  I have very red skin and a rash which they tell me may get bigger and then blister. We will have to see. All in all I count myself as being one of the lucky ones and intend to keep looking forward.

Hi all

Currently on day 14 of 19 radiotherapy treatments to the left side, also using DIBH (deep inspiration breath hold). There is a lot of evidence that this significantly reduces the amount of radiation the heart gets, and it works by displacing the chest wall away from the heart without increasing the risk to the lungs. It is done using an active breathing control using a mouthpiece which connects to a valve and tubing so you can breathe in and out into it, feels a bit like a snorkel! The air flow as you breather in and out is displayed on a computer monitor so that you know how far to breathe in , and when to hold your breath. Very clever but completely logical when you think about it.
However, I am only aware of research that has been conducted for left sided breast cancer using this technique, not sure if it benefits on the right side in the same way, as the heart would be protected more due to the angle of delivery the the right side.

Btw, I'm not sore at all yet *touches everything wooden* but quite tender on that side. Good luck to all going through the same thing, here's hoping the car holds out!

J x
eileen728

Glad you doing so well Judith. Feel I have been lucky with the treatment too - no real skin reaction at all. Bits falling off must be disconcerting Pam - hope you healing now xx
Whitfield

Lucky you Judith I have had two,burns where skin went brown and fell off. Best advice is keep,drinking and creaming.

Pamx
Judithvr6

Just checking in with an update as I've found hearing how others were getting in very useful.

I'm now 7 days after my last of 15 sessions.

I've decided I was only tired as I sit at a PC screen for work and too long in front of one of those can send you to sleep even in the best of health! 3 day weekend I was out and about and had no tiredness (other than doing the 15 mile trail run!!)

Boob is a little achy. I don't like to put pressure on it when sleeping. All this bashing it about with surgery and radio.... I'll be glad when I can sleep without having to make allowances for it.

Scar tissue smarts a bit if I've been too energetic!

Nipple is quite tender.

Skin is holding up fine. No dryness or itching. Fingers crossed long may it continue.

Best wishes to everyone.

Whitfield

Kim, you count day ten after the last rad. I have three areas which have blistered but it's okay. Under arm where nodes were removed on the scar line, nipple scar and clavacal area. Just keep drinking water 2 Larson per day if you can and cream regularly. It's soon over.

Pam x
Jobey68

I was told a fuller breast may suffer more, I'm not very buxom and have had 4 so far and only just feeling a bit of tenderness around the scar on top of my nipple but nothing enough to really notice, day 10 is when I'm told the effects may kick in, I'm having 15 so hoping not to be too badly affected as off on holiday the beginning of July for a much needed week in the sun! Xx Jo
Judithvr6

Interesting stuff Whitfield.

I've actually felt very tired these last two afternoons. I work from home, sat in front of a pc, and by 4pm yesterday I could have gone to bed for the night. I thought it might be because I worked the whole day whereas I've been finished at 2.30 to take myself to treatment.

Today I made sure I had an hours break and took myself off for a nap and I NEVER have a nap, I'm like the Duracell bunny !

Funny though, I'm wide awake now.

Shell68

Hi Susie

Hope today went well.  I start rads next Thursday. No side effects from Tamoxifen yet!  

Im now on the June blog as well.

Whitfield

DizzyDee I have heard larger boobs get more sore underneath. cream up, wear loose clothes and drink a lot of water regularly.

I'm redder now on day 8 but I'm a 34 C so,not sure how you xompare.

Good luck.

P x
DizzyDee
Community Champion

Hello darling rads of May,

As a darling rad of June looking for advice? Is it true that ladies with larger boobs tend to get more sore and red? Any tips gladly appreciated. Has anyone else had post 10 day side effects?
Thanks
Whitfield

I'm approx 10 days post and it's getting sore. During the sessions I had no redness so do be prepared and drink a lot to hydrate the skin.

Started doing yoga at hospital today which was nice.

Px
Petal123

Well done Judith, I finished a day before you, hopefully we will reach the post 10 day mark without any problems. I take my hat off to you for doing a 15 mile run, I would have trouble running to the end of the road at the moment! Haha.

Blossom glad you're finding it ok, keep going not long now xx
Blossom64

I am at day 8 and doing ok just getting tired with travelling and working although lucky work close to hospital in London it's just getting uses to travelling in rush hour again with some appointment times! I do the breathing excercises - 'take a deep breath and hold' then 'breath away normally' is something that will stay with me a while! It's actually not too bad maximum of 30 seconds at a time. X the team at St Thomas ' s in London are great. X
Judithvr6

Afternoon. I finished yesterday.

Been told again to expect side effects to increase for up to 10 days yet but as I'm not having any problems with anything I'm not going to panic about the possibility.

I'm telling myself to rest up a bit but have already signed up for a 15 mile trail run on Sunday morning. There is plenty of time to complete it in so I'll have some long walk sections if need be 🙂 I'll rest again Monday if I've overdone it.

Best wishes to everyone midway or yet to start.

DizzyDee
Community Champion

Thanks Whitfield. Hope the redness dies down. And well done on completing it xxx
Whitfield

Wasn't told about holding breath so missed that one. Finished rads a few days ago and really red under arm. Keep drinking water is my advice and stay positive.

P x
DizzyDee
Community Champion

Thanks Francine must read that article and good luck with mx. Xxx
Fuffs123

Hi ladies

I'm not having rads myself at the moment ss I'm heading for a mx or possibly double mx after two failed WLEs. No nodes involved thank goodness. However, I wonderrd if any of you had trad the article in the Daily Mail re breath holding duting rads and the long terrm benefits. Apparently doing this whilst being zapped moves the heart away from the chest wall and helps prevent and stray rads from going there. Beneficial for right and left side rads apparently. Some of you may already be aware of it of course but it eas a very interesting article. Hugs to all of you going thro treatment. Xx Francine
Petal123

Yippee, finished my rads today, mind you it didn't go smoothly, typical. They had to try 4 times to get me in the right position, took 2 x Rays to check and still wasn't right. In the end they had to get another radiographer to come and help, so I had 3 of them pulling me about! By the end of it my arms were really aching and starting to hurt and my left hand had gone numb, but at least it's all over now. Skin is just slightly pink and no burns as yet although told that radiation will continue working for up to 10 days. It will be lovely tomorrow not having to go to the hospital, although it's only a 10 minute drive away.

To everyone else having rads, keep going ladies the finishing line is in sight. Xx
ZipIt

Hello everyone. Have been following you all on here. I'm now 8 treatments into my Rads and the skin is very pink but otherwise everything is fine.  Have met some lovely ladies and gents in the waiting room, and the young ladies carrying out the treatment on me are all fab. We usually manage to have a laugh.  The centre is funded by donations and they are having an open day soon so people can see the rads machines as well as helping to raise funds by having stalls, a tombola and refreshments. Have persuaded my husband and others to come with me.  The centre needs to raise £750,000 towards a new scanner and I hope to be able to volunteer to help with efforts once I am through this.  Hope you are all doing well, now off to get ready for todays treatment.

rookie

Hi, corfuchick, im same as you triple neg- lumpectomy, told all clear now 7/15 & all seems ok. No se's as yet :). Positive attitude is needed & we'll be thru this in no time at all.  Cant wait to get back to work- not              julsx

susieq22

Hi Shell,  I am pretty much same as you. Same results and just had planning last week. Start Rad on Friday  22nd May for 15 sessions.  Not sure what to expect, everyone seems to have different experiences but I have warned my employer I will probably take some time off...(I only took two weeks after my surgery but then I only work part time too).  Maybe we should compare notes as we go along - are you suffering any side effects from Tamoxifen yet?  I seem to be having problems sleeping...my body is cream crackered but I can't switch my brain off!!!   Good luck to everyone with their rads this month... Sue x

DizzyDee
Community Champion

Thank you ladies. I was told aloe vera gel was good too from my rad doctor. Thanks re 10 days after is worst point advice. We will get through this. Thank you darling rads of may hope u all recover quickly. And heres to all us darling rads of June just about to start. This forum really helps u keep sane xxxx
Blossom64

No rest for me have appointment at 245 today so will enjoy the sunshine after that although need to go and visit mother in hospital later xx
Judithvr6

I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend and 2 days off from the radio commute.

I've 3 more to go and things are starting to look like treatment is really doing something (I was beginning to wonder if they forget to turn the machine on !! 😉  )

I've a large pinkish square from my under arm, down my side, across to mid chest and back up. But my small boob itself is normal white with a hint of blue still in the centre.

It is a very fetching look 🙂

Petal123

Hi Corfuchick, sorry I can't help as I am HER2+, but hopefully some other ladies will be along who have the same diagnosis as you.

Dizzydee I have just had 13/15 rads and so far the only side effect is a slight pinky colour to the skin. I did meet with radiographer today for a review meeting and she did say I would carry on 'cooking' once rads had finished. She said the 10th day after rads finish is the worst point and then things should start to improve. She advised on dressings to get if I get any burning which did worry me slightly, but hopefully it will be ok. Good luck to you and Corfuchick with starting treatment xx
Corfuchick

Hi, I was diagnosed with Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma associated triple negative and had my lum removed with margins and lynphs clear. I am waiting to meet with my oncologist to discuss my radiotherapy course, which I hope will begin by the end of May or early June - anyone else have/had the same as me ?

DizzyDee
Community Champion

Hello ladies.
Starting rads in June. Can we continue the name to Darling Rads of June? Like most of you i had wle with no nodes involved clear margins. Declined chemo as only 3% difference of recurrence. Rads and Tamoxifen really up ur chances of avoiding a recurrence. I am a younger lady who was told i only have 10% chance of it coming back in 10 years. I faced BC alone as i live alone and it is hard to start with but does get better. Has anyone had any SE's with rads? Got 15 sessions with 5 booster ones xx
Jobey68

I'm like you Pam and although my cancer is low grade and I've a 95% chance of no reaccurance I'm still happy to be taking Tamoxifen and had Rads as an extra precaution xx
Whitfield

Francine, my view was do all the experts say as they know best. I've just finishing rads and it's not too hard. Belt and braces if that's possible.

You may decide otherwise but. Entire you do this do seek other professional advice. There is a call line number on this site to other e parts.

Good luck.

Pam x
Fuffs123

Hi Cath.

I and others have also had doubts about the rads and hormone treatment if there is no lymph involvement. I had a WLE and SNB in Feb, no nodes affected but not quite a clear margin. Had another WLE in April to take a bit more and tomorrow will be seeing the surgeon for these results. Mine was Grade 3 invasive with DCIS AND ER +. I don't know how old you are (I'm 62 so post menopausal). If you are younger than me, then they will be wanting to offer the most effective treatment to prevent a recurrence. You can use the PREDICT tool to give you some idea of just how much percentage benefit you would get from rads and Tamoxifen but it's only an indicator. Find it on Google. The reason they like to zap you with rads is because even with a clear margin and clear nodes, there is always the slight possibility that some stray cancer cells have moved within the breast. Don't want to frighten you by the way. If your cancer is ER + which I assume it is because they want to give you Tamoxifen, all the evidence is that it is the best therapy to prevent a recurrence. I will be on Anastrazole as I'm post menopausal. Don't know if this all helps you at all it's a very difficult time I know and I'm feeling nervous about my results tomorrow. I also have to have genetic testing, due to family history and am worried about my daughter. Sending you a virtual hug. X Francine
Petal123

Glad it went ok Blossom. You will find that the next 4 weeks goes really quick. Have just completed 11/15 and just starting to go slightly pink. Haven't felt tired but that might be because the hospital is only a 10 minute drive away.
Blossom64

First session over not too bad was worried about holding my breath buy that all went ok. The team were really nice and it went quite quickly although 19 more views of the ceiling will be fun. My appointment times I had on my schedule have changed from the original list. Will wait to see how the skin and being tired holds up. Will work as much as I can to keep busy. Bring on the 9 June when it ends lol.
Cath3

I'm the same as you Shell and had WLE in April, for v small lump, luckily with clear margins and clear lymph nodes. My planning meeting is tomorrow at Guy's. I'm feeling uncertain about the necessity of radiotherapy and tamoxifen as I was told that I needed both but with no evidence of what risks are if you don't have treatment. My biggest concern is the tamoxifen as less targeted and more side effects I think I'm in a new relationship and very sporty. I've no dependants and feel I'm being 'processed'. I've had different people attend all my appts so far as diagnosis, pre-op and op were all with different health professionals. Does anyone else feel like they can't challenge their treatment? I feel like I sound terribly ungrateful but not sure I need this belt and braces approach.
Whitfield

Royal Marsden provides gowns daily.

Three more to go. Having boost rads now.

Pam x