Daughter doing medicine

My daughter got her A level results today, and got the grades she needed to go to university and study medicine.
She was just turning twelve when I was diagnosed, it had a big impact on her and I think gave her the initial idea that she wanted to be a doctor (although not an oncologist she tells me - cancer is too depressing!).
So some good has come out of all this.

What fantastic news Roadrunner. Many congratulations to your daughter. i hope she has a great time as an undergraduate

That is very good news. I can understand her view re oncology; I wanted to be a paediatric oncoogist after my own experience with leukaemia in my teens. When I first tried it out at medical school, I was far too emotionally tangled in it to be able to work in the area. I’ve ended up doing psychiatry which makes a lots of sense for me as I am looking at peoples emotional and psychological needs. I had though when I developed breast cancer that we would be much further forward re psychological support but…
Anyway, please congratulate your daughter. Tell her never be afraid to ask lots of questions, work hard but take plenty of time for outside activities and friendships. She’ll be a far more well rounded doctor for it.
PS which medical school is she going to?

Fantastic news. You must be so proud of your daughter…and quite rightly so.

That’s wonderful news Roadrunner, congratulations to your daughter! My son has got his grades for computer science at uni today too, he originally sat his As last year whilst I was in a right state on chemo (and he didn’t tell school, who might have helped). He missed out on his physics grade, but has got it this time - and his first choice uni. BC causes mayhem and ripples in so many ways, I wish I could have shielded him more but I suppose part of growing up is seeing real life with its ups and downs…

fantastic newsnRoadrunner and Ali. Always great to read good news. Xx

Oh you must be so proud Roadrunner. A friend, like me stage 4, has 2 children who must have been in their teens when she was first diagnosed. Her daughter is now a GP and her son is now an Oncologist. Very Best Wishes and Congratulations to your daughter and your son too Ali. Great news he has his first choice Uni. x

drdspg - she is going to Birmingham
Ali - congratulations to your son. My older daughter did her AS levels while I was going through chemo. She did badly in one exam, the school appealed on the basis of the cancer, and she went up a grade. Always worth trying. I tried to shield my kids as much as possible (they were 12,14 & 17 at the time) but have never known if it was the right thing to do or not.