Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Day 4 of chemo

12 REPLIES 12
CK

Re: Day 4 of chemo

Hi Jay
We have a Waitrose nearby so will pop over tomorrow.
Ibuprofen has sorted for now.xx
Jay68
Community Champion

Hi CK - that sounds as though the pain you had was with the penultimate injection - if so, that's exactly when my pain was at it worse! It's always good to have those injections behind you! They and the steriods are almost worse than the chemo!

Glad to hear you went to Maggies, it's always nice to share experiences with others going through the same situation.

Epsom salts - I got a huge bucket from Amazon - £10 and they're lasting well. Otherwise, Boots (approx £5 for a fairly small pack) and I heard Waitrose have them on a special offer at the mo.
CK

Hi Jay68
I've just got back from Maggie's Centre. Met a few lovely ladies there and had a chat. Did the Tai Chi lesson too.
Yes, thanks reminding me of Epsom salts. I have heard. Where do you buy them? Ive taken Ibroprofen today with GCSF injections to try ro prevent that horrible achy pain from my next down by back. It kept me awake last night. Anyway done a weeks injections until next cycle xx
Jay68
Community Champion

Hi CK - you are indeed most welcome to come to me - I feel our experiences are good to share.

The pain you describe is very similar to the one I encountered and I put it down to the GCSF injections too - it always coincided with the timing of them. As long as your temperature is ok - I'd advise taking paracetamol just to keep the pain under control (rather than 2, I used to take 1).

Also, try some epsom salts in the bath water - they really are brilliant!

J

CK

Thanks Annie
I will try rhat tomorrow.
Just had a lurrrrvely shower! Sheer bliss!!!!x
Anniej
Community Champion

Hi CK, the community nurses administered my gsf, cos I'm a wuss! Fiona, the first nurse who came advised me to have a short walk after the injection. She arranged visits for lunch times so I could have my injection, then eat, giving my stomach something else to think about, and afterwards take a gentle walk to exercise muscles .  Pleased to say that worked perfectly . X

CK

Hi Jay68
Thank you for such a kind and reassuring comment. It's so good to hear how you sailed through treatment with manageable side effects.I will most certainly come to you if have any questions as our treatment plan seems quite similar.

I'm just going to run a bath as I sometimes have this ache which comes up now and then from the back of my neck to my shoulders and not quite sure what it I. I couldn't explain it to the doctor last night. It just comes and goes but makes my neck and shoulder feel quite heavy. It could be SE from the GCSF injections too. Hmmmm.xxx
Jay68
Community Champion

Hi Mo and CK

I'm from the May 2017 chemo monthly forum and I've just completed 3 EC and 4 Docetaxol with Herceptin and Pertuzumab - I have been very fortunate and although side effects have been a bit tough (mainly the mouth and tongue problems) days 4-8 - I have been extremely lucky and avoided any infections/hospital stays. I also avoided any delays in treatment due to blood/neurophil problems

I'm just over 2 weeks post final treatment - I have my first Herceptin injection this Thursday - and my operation is booked for 19th September - an mx and complete node clearance - getting closer but I can't wait now for this part of the treatment to be behind me.

Take care and any questions or problems feel free to ask.

Good luck to you both x
CK

Hi Mo
Thank you for your lovely comments and you too need to take care of yourself. We are like one big sister family on here. I have come across some amazing ladies and words of support.

It's good to know that others may benefit from sharing our experiences. What works for one may not work for another but at least we have 4he shared knowledge. We get all the help and advice we need from the BCT but it's advice from people who have been through the steps which I feel is priceless! I too have benefited from other posts.

It's like a war we need to win, so whatever is thrown at us, we cry and we rant but then we rhink of the best way to be in control and beat it! Easier said than done but it can be done and we will do it, together!

I'm going to brave going into work for a few hours today. My short hair hasn't fallen out yet but I'm still going to wear a woolly hat! After all it is winter which kind of makes it seem ok.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to get to Maggie's Centre.it will be a week since my first chemo. Of course we need to see how we feel day by day and then decide.

Have a good day whatever you are doing and lets try to put BC in the back of our minds for a short while.xxx
redridinghood

Thank you CK for letting me know your chemo. It is just interesting to know a bit about others going through a similar treatment. I have noted what you said about hair loss........I find the idea of losing hair very strange at this stage! My little grandaughter loves combing my long straight hair, then plaiting it, bunching it, tying it up, then starting again! I don't know how she will react to a bald gramma! And you seem to let tiredness take its course........nap when you need it. I will follow that too. And getting through the day on croissants and milk also sounds like you 'go with the flow' and again I have taken it on board. So thanks again for just putting your experience out here for others to share. I normally just get on with life, but in this boat it is nice to share others' experience. It gives support and strength to carry on.

So......take care yourself. You have made a good start! You sound positive in what is a very hard situation. I too will be going on herceptin........that is why I have to have docetaxel. These days you must have 3 to 6 rounds of docetaxel while starting herceptin. Then herceptin continues......that is for me as secondary. I will be on it as long as it works. I think the herceptin is not too bad. It is the docetaxel I am braced for!

Again take care of yourself.....you have made a good start!........and do update on the forum so anyone reading can see how you are doing. There will be people reading who don't post. Off to bed for me!

mo                    x

CK

Hi No
It's all new to me too and I'm glad my post is helpful.
I am having 3xEC and then 3xDoxetoxal and Herceptin for 18 months. Then another op to clear margins and rads after that.
It's all been surreal and a rollercoaster but once treatment started I felt better that it is getting sorted and on the road to recovery.
Trying to be in control and prepared has helped.
We all have different diagnosis and react differently but reading other ladies posts can help too.
I hope you get dates soon as this is the worst bit waiting.xx
redridinghood

CK.....first of all thanks for giving a description of your first few days post chemo. Can i ask which chemo you are on? I am probably.....seeing onc Tuesday post MRI.......starting docetaxel soon, so any help with coping is useful. You sound as though  youare managing very well so far. I have never had chemo before, and am almost 3 years since secondary dx. My primary was in 2001. Thanks again,

mo       x

CK

Day 4 of chemo

Morning ladies
It's been good to see some good results from yesterday and best wishes to those who get results today.x

I didn't come on yesterday as the in the middle of the night on day 2 I woke up at 2am and couldn't sleep because of a lower back pain caused by the GCSF injections. Injections are easy peasy ro do btw if you need them. They are to build up immune system and sort white blood cells! Paracetomol did the trick! Last night was easier!

Then I just napped all day until the dreaded haircut which also made me anxious and towards not sleeping, but I did it and have a lovely wig! It's just very short but not shaved as Chemo nurse advised that shaving could make my head sore and easier to get infection, so just very very short and let them fall out. I have a conditioned satin nightcap for when it does all fall out. This will help towards regrowth and stops friction and hair sticking to pillow, bit like when a baby gets a bald patch when they sleep!
So came home with my wig on and wasn't too sad when I took it off! Had a better nights sleep last night!
I didn't have much of an appetite yesterday so got through the day with croissants and milk and some blueberries! I think the steroids made me feel acidy so the milk kind of alkalied it out! I'm off the anti sickness pils today as had for 2 days but have been given stand-ins. I'll see how I feel.

But after haircut I perked up again after another nap and just watched some TV to chill. I feel that I can't cope with people talking loud at the moment and need calm. Had a much better nights sleep!

Temperature taken today which is good, as steroids were giving me rosy cheeks and I kept thinking I had a high temperature but the digital thermometer is accurate so no worries up to now.

One ulcer coming up at the side of my mouth and tongue turning white so out come the sprays and Biotene mouthwash.

Taste buds have finally gone haywire, trying to think of things to eat but when put in front of me I don't want them. Probably need more time to settle.
settle.

Naps are good, keeping me going!!!xxx