1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Day 6 post surgery - is this normal?

9 REPLIES 9
Libralady

Re: Day 6 post surgery - is this normal?

this thread is quite helpful me being 10 days post Mx. Just had my dressings taken off today and looked at the scar, i guess its not too bad but i havent studied it yet as i dont wish too.
I havent cried about the Mx, i think I have just accepted it or maybe somewhere along the line i will break, i dont know
i have some major pinching and stabbing pains goin on so still taking 400mg ibruprofen with 2 paractemol. seeing pathology results tomorrow, not looking forward to it admittedily.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi girlies...i too like Keepthe faith, had MX and ANC in October...6 months on i am due for last Tax on wed and start radio for 3 wks in June. As for the scar, i can look down put cannot look at myself in mirror yet, doing the "put my head down and plod on" thing too, my coping mechanism, still bit numb 6 months on from surgeryand can't touch area at all but will ahve to to put creams on after radio. don't be to hard on yourself, flexability with me came back in time but still pulls and feels wierd under armpit. xxx
mulligans

Hi Cornishmaid,
What you are describing is completely normal. Had my mx 9th March. I took every pain killer going so thankfully didnt feel too much discomfort. Keep talking them until you are in less discomfort and you still have your drains in so you'll feel quite restricted until they come out. You are only day six so don't go mad on the excerises, you are getting enough movement at the moment just moving about, showering and getting clothes on etc. if you are sore don't push yourself, as some of the other ladies are saying by day 10-14 you'll be feeling more like yourself and it gets easier as time goes on. I feel very good now a couple of months on and I thought I had 100% movement back but physio says its only 80% but I can't tell myself. In time it'll come back with my excerises.
It's very weird to wake up with part of you missing. It was hard looking at the scar, i really liked my breast untill i knew it was full of poison, now we are no longer friends and I say good riddance!!! Just remember its not doing you any damage now and it's all away! The rest of your treatment if you didnt have chemo first is mopping up. I decided for a recon after we get this first mess sorted and I look forward to having a new healthy breast, I've seen my surgeon's pics and they look pretty damn good! You may decide that you are fine as you are too as many women do but that part is up to us. Be kind to yourself and plan done nice things between your treatments. This part is all about you and getting well again. I've just finished my 3rd chemo and things are going well, have my dark darks but more positive ones most of the time. Also have a lady who rings me from bcc who has been through similar to me and have found chatting to her enormously helpful, she has been ringing me after chemo, can get a lot off my chest with someone who has been there and come out the other end. Best of luck with the rest of your treatments x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies. I only had a lumpectomy so do not know how you feel having gone through a mastectomy. It was six years ago and I was still in hospital six days after the surgery. I was with other women who had gone through the same thing and were at the same stage. We laughed and cried together and gave each other so much support. I built friendships that I value very much. In addition the trained staff were there 24/7 to give advice, ensure pain relief was appropriate and give support with drains etc. This idea of tipping patients out of hospital as soon as they come round from the anasthetic surely has many negatives especially from an emotional point of veiw. I think we are hard on ourselves. We think we are out of hospital so we should feel fine. We forget this is major surgery. A massive trauma both to our bodies and emotionally.. Six days is hardly long enough to get over the affect of the anasthetic. The same thing happens to young Mum's, sent home after six hours often with no experience and little proffesional or family support. I am not political person but this lack of follow up care is in my opinion a major issue for all of us in the future. Please ladies be kind to yourselves and give yourself time to heal in every way and remember tears are part of any healing process.Regards Chinook
Guest user
Not applicable

what's happened to you?
Sascha

Wow cornish Maid I think we were in the same room last night! I could have written exactly the same - that´s a relief!! I told my OH to go and get on with his life as after all no point in two of us losing theirs....and he too has been incredibly supportive........

I am reading up on all the things I can do to help myself in future and it is all so overwhelming, so much info, so ahrd to know which road to take and it all costs money, which we don´t have as i am (was) self employed so no income coming in
THanks also Teresa and Pixie, getting enough sleep seems to help but that is easier said than done!

pesteringpixie

Hello ladies,

One thing i would say is don't under-estimate the after effects of a general anaesthesia, especially if you have also had some form of morphine. These take about 14 days to clear our systems and do compound the roller-coaster emotional stuff.

In terms of discomfort, a lot of it is muscular tension, they sort of get tightened up because of the trauma. Do as much of the physio as you can, it really helps.

Above all, accept that your feelings and emotions are going to be all over the place, its not your fault if you feel snappy, angry, over-wrought, its just where you are at that moment.

When i was in this place, other ladies told me it will get easier with time. It does. I am now 2 months post surgery and it is now okay.

Be gentle with yourselves and stick with the winners, the ladies you have walked the walk.

Much love
Pixie xx

keepthefaith

Hi ladies,
Just wanted to say yes, I think what you are describing is normal. It is such a big huge thing, and I'm sure it will take a while to come to terms with. I was diagnosed in Septemebr and had my Mx and ANC on 2nd March. It is a scary and lonely time in many ways, and I think no-one other than those of us who have been there can understand. Yes there is the physical shock of looking at the scar and dealing with all the practicalities of the aftermath of surgery, which is very difficult. But don't be too hard on yourselves, also there is the after-effect of the anaesthetic which does leave you feeling low. I am still in denial, the whole thing still seems surreal. I will finish radiotherapy on Friday, and I worry about how I will cope and what I will do after that! I have coped by doing the "put my head down and plod on" thing. Just a coping mechanism I guess.
In terms of oving on from this, after a few more days you should feel more well in yourselves (once the after-effects of the drugs have worn out and drains are out). I reckon by 2 weeks post-op you should have a return of some energy and make time to do something nice for you - maybe a massage, reflexology, spending time with friends or family, go to the cinema. I have found the more things I have to look forward to like that, the less I dwell. Try and have a friend over or go out every day once you are feeling able.
Above all go easy on yourselves and come on here if you're feeling low. Can't offer any other words of wisdom I'm afraid, but I'm sure someone else will be along soon to share their experiences!
Teresa

Guest user
Not applicable

well I am getting all the sensations you are,woke up this morning so stiff with little stingy pains all over where my breast was, my exercises are getting harder too and i still have 2 drains in which are doing my head in to be honest,i know they are doing their job but with my health anxiety im scared to have them out incase i swell up and scared to leave them in as they hurt a bit but like you there is no sign of infection.I have been doing ok until last night when i went into total meltdown about the whole cancer,mastectomy what follows etc etc,snapped at my other half (who has been wonderful) telling him everyone in the house going on as normal,like im not there almost,but felt better after getting it all out.hope you feel better soon,im told it does get easier even thiough we cant see that point at the minute xxx
Sascha

Day 6 post surgery - is this normal?

Yesterday I found positivity, today it seems to have gone again! Had my first wash of the area where I used to have a much loved breast (drains taken out yesterday) and I just sobbed in the shower and keep on crying off and on over the day. It felt just horrible.....odd numbness, odd sensations, constant burning sensations all over area today (no sign of infection) if I did not need to wash it I would not want to touch it. Visually I can see it may look less ugly one day scar wise but it has upset me all over again so much.
This is exhausting emotionally and the exercises are getting harder not easier as sensation returns!
Can anyone share any wisdom or experiences?