Debating Radiotherapy

Hi there,

I’m here, I’m afraid, because I need opinions in a hurry and talking to people that aren’t going through it isn’t seem to be helping my decision.

Basically, I am 23. Last year I found a lump, I thought it was a fibreadenoma is my doctor had previously mentioned I’m prone to them, benign masses of tissue that appear in the breast. They did a surgery to get rid because the size was quite drastic. January 2nd results came back, and they said that they found a very rare presentation of high grade DCIS, encased in a tumour that should have been benign as it could be. This is a case that has only been documented 7 times since forever and the youngest person to deal with it before me was 43.
The lump was already out, so they did another surgery to take away some tissue in the surrounding area, that came back clear. Then the mammograms and the MRIs started, and came back with 2 tiny lumps that they performed biopsies on. They came back as clear too, but they did another surgery to take one sizable one out - which they did and that came back clear too…

Now they’ve given me a break from putting me through the ringer, they are suggesting radiotherapy because it was high grade and because I’m so young - it’s got a lot of time ahead to do its own thing. But, I just don’t know if I should? I’m having trouble getting my head around the fact that the RT will stop cancer appearing in these lumps that apparently I’m prone to? Is it necessary to dose myself with radiation when if my cancer was encased and had clear margins - there’s nothing bad there for it to kill? I’m having yearly MRIs until I am 50.

So do I have the radiotherapy and have yearly MRIs?
or do I not have the radiotherapy and have yearly MRIs?

I am aware that this is a very ‘what if’ situation and anyone facing any sort of cancer and a life after cancer knows it’s full of ‘what ifs’ that you can’t do anything about. I’m not looking for anyone to make my mind up for me - but I am surrounded by mixed opinions and am just awful at making decisions - what would you do?

Please help, my head hurts from all of this pondering.

Alexandria

Dear Alexandria,

First of all let me just say how sorry I was to read this.  A diagnosis of bc is devastating at any age but especially when you are as young as you are.  My immediate thought was go for the radiation and take whatever is offered because I have known younger women with diagnoses of DCIS which in theory can’t spread, later being diagnosed with IDC.    I suggest writing down all the pros and cons, perhaps with the help of your bc nurse or another professional as s/he will be less emotionally involved than family and friends and then seeing if you can make a decision. 

All the very best to you and I hope this helps a little, big hugs OAD xxx

Hi Alexandria - I kind of know where you’re coming from as I’ve got to decide in a few weeks whether to have chemotherapy or not because of my post surgery results. I already know I will be having radiotherapy whatever else I decide. At the end of the day it has to be your decision but if like me you want people’s honest opinions I would say to you have the radiotherapy. I know what you mean, why do you need it when surgery has done its job, but it’s just something to give you a bit of extra reassurance that it’s gone. Have you discussed your reservations with your oncologist? Wishing you all the best whatever you decide. Anita xx