370223posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

December 2015 chemo

A.Faed

Re: December 2015 chemo

Thank you for your greetings Marina, lots of love to you. 

Having your our hair fall out for Christmas wasn't the best present for you though! I reckon mine might be going sometime around the 10th of January, being as my 1st FEC was Christmas Eve. Then the intention is to get it cut really short, and get my wig (which I already have) fitted properly and trimmed if needed. 

No more hairy fingers for you for a while!

Amanda x

Marina

I hope you all had a lovely Christmas and wishing you all good health for 2016.

Day 16 of chemo and my hair is starting to fall out. Yesterday I noticed it was sensitive when I touched it, like when it naturally goes one way and you make it go the other and you feel the root ... Don't know if I'm being clear. Anyway as I have cut it so short I have to style it with wax and ended up full of hairs on my fingers. Xx
Nicola47

Hi Morwenna

I am attending the moving forward course in January in Hartlepool, looking forward to gleening more information. Thanks for highlighting the available services. 

Nicola x

A.Faed

Yes Nadz, not a pleasant evening but fortunately been ok since, touch wood. I'm quite tired but there isn't much opportunity to rest atm! 

Have you got your next appointment, mine is Jan, bloods on the 12th and FEC 2 on the 14th, all being well. 

Hope everyone is doing ok and managing to have a great Christmas!

Amanda x

Nadz

Yeah Amanda I was the exact same. Very tired now though
Gfnich

Merry Christmas' hope everyone is ok today. Gillian x

A.Faed

Yes, Merry Christmas, felt dire yesterday evening after FEC one, but ok so far day!

Amanda x

Nadz

Merry Christmas everyone, I hope you are all able to enjoy most of the day xx
Nadz

First one done! Had multiple antisickness drugs at the start, about 5 of them. No idea what they were as I was too nervous to concentrate. Then they tried for a vein, which was a success considering all the problems I've had.
Next came the cold cap which was..awful. I near wanted to rip the thing off my head at the start. But I just concentrated on my breathing and near broke my partners hand! It finally went away which was a relief. Sadly the cap didn't go to the bottom part of my hairline so will lose there.
Feeling pretty woozy right now. 2 hours after discharge. So going to sleep!
A.Faed

I had my first FEC today, the appointment at 10.30 and I was done by12.15. It all went smoothly at the hospital, first drunk was emend, then steroids then the drip and more anti-sickness in that way. Have two more emend for tomorrow and Boxing Day and two more types of anti-sickness drugs and steroid to start tomorrow. Also five injections that I have to give myself from Monday.

I feel fine at the moment but it's early days yet...I feel a bit like a bomb that might go off!

Hope me you are all ok, have a great Christmas.

Amanda x

Lynne1955

hi all

good luck to all those having chemo today.

i had mine yesterday and so far so good.  Just a bit woozy at the moment.

wishing you all a happy christmas Xx

Morwenna_BCC

Hi Gillian,

Unfortunately we don't have have anything in Newcastle currently but we're working on getting our services in this area too - keep an eye on the website!

Morwenna

Gfnich

Marina the aches are your white cells rebuilding, your hips and bones in your chest can ache.   Your white cells drop from day 7to 10 then start to climb.  Keep away from anyine you know is unwell for afew days.  I am day 2 and have to say have been ok today.  I asked about my anti sickness drugs yesterday, I have an Emend capsule one hour befor I start, then an Aloxi injection then Emend for the following two days.  I suspect some of the health authorities dont give you the Aloxi unless you suffer so make sure you tell them.

i cant stand the smell of Domestos now and if I leave water in a glass it tastes of chlorine after a while.  

Hope I am ok tomorrow have the christmas eve baking to do. X

Marina

And there was I thinking it was only me being weird when I couldn't stand the smell of anything, couldn't even go into the kitchen. Didn't realise you were all feeling the same.  I also have sore feet, the soles are itchy and generally ache. Also have pain in my hip and I am on day 12.

Thanks for the info on blood cells Gillian, will have to ask when I go back. My onco gives me very little info unless I ask. Get most of my info here.

Keep well ladies xx

Gfnich

Hi Morwenna thanks for the info, is there nothing in the Newcastle area?  Gillian

Gfnich

JenJen

Hi VG I was prescribed from cycle 1 so didnt questionI di have other conditions so maybe its a belt and braces approach x
VeloGirl

Hi Jen

That's interesting that you're having pegfilgrastim whilst on EC. I asked my oncologist about G-CSF at my last appointment and she said that she doesn't usually prescribe it during EC but will when I switch to T. It's interesting how different people are on different concomitant medications.

VG x 

Morwenna_BCC

Hi Nicola and Gillian, I manage Breast Cancer Care's services in the North East and I just wanted to let you know about a couple of things that might be relevant to you. We have a HeadStrong service in Middlesbrough every other Monday at the Trinity Holisitc Centre. Our volunteers will show you alternatives to wigs such as headscarves and hats as well as talk through scalp care etc. Just call 01642 854839 to book in.

Also we're running our Moving Forward Courses in this area (Hartlepool in January and Stockton-on-Tees in May) which are a series of information sessions on life after treatment. If you're interested in coming along to this just call 0345 077 1893.

Best of luck with all your treatment.

Morwenna

Tandy 4
Community Champion

Oh that's an idea Jen!...... Upsetting me that familiar smells making me feel nauseas! I'll do that. I had the neulasta injection too so that explains it. Xx thanks. 

Sam, hope feeling ok today. Praying it doesn't get worse? Theses sessions? But I fear they will!? Xx 

Sam B

Good luck to everyone .
Had my sentinel node on Monday , was a little uncomfortable but really ok .
Second tax not until 04/01.
Hope nobody found 2nd chemo worse than the first?
Xx
JenJen

Tina various trusts have various injections I have one its called neulasta and its the expensive one. Some have more over a few days.

Suggest you stop using any perfume etc you adore as itll help you like it when all over and done with (have boxws all my nice stuff up) I have changed everything from shower gel, perfume, fabric conditioner and i got unscented body lotion so on bad days I can still make sure I get that on
.jen x
Tandy 4
Community Champion

Hi Vicky..... Quick question.,.. How many injections are you having? I only got the one from district nurse day after chemo. Trying hard not to think about going through it all again. Smells reminding me everywhere. So much so I thought about not coming on here either to try and forget it all, but failed. 

Amanda, good luck Hun, change chatting in this post eh? 😏 

Day 5 post first FEC session Friday. Slept lots, woke this morning queasy, taking domperidone anti sickness? Anyone else? Hoping to go out today see Santa and his reindeer! Hope everyone has a good day. Xx lots love. Tina 

Gfnich

Hi everyone,

Jane,  pleased you found it ok, it isn't as bad as you expect it to be is it.  Will be interesting to see how the cold cap works for you.  Take it easy over the next few days.

Marina, they are checking the bloods to make sure that the White blood cells have recovered.  When I started mine were 7.5 and yesterday were 3.5, she said they had a blue warning as they were low but not low enough to not give the next dose.  Not sure what the limit is.  Will be keeping clear of anyone who is poorly.

well round 2 day 2, have the Emend so will go have some breakfast and chill, have some presents to wrap. 

Gillian x

Jane26

Hi everyone,

Firstly thank you all for your support, it really does help and you don't feel like you are alone in this horrible journey.

Had first fec 75 today. It was no where near as bad as I feared. I just feel very woozy and tired. Was given an anti nausea drug called Emend which I believe is very effective . So far so good no nausea, fingers crossed it stays this way!! I have been constantly drinking water all day so to flush the chemicals out of my body asap.

I have also gone for the cold capping. Although as you would guess it is very very cold but is bearable. The first 10 minutes are the worst but after that you get used to it. Hopefully it will work but if not I've got my wig as stand by!!

The very best of luck to everyone 

Big hugs

Jane X 

Nadz

Hi Amanda! I have the same date as you, here's hoping we are grand for the holiday!
Good luck for tomorrow lynne, will be thinking off you x
What do you ladies bring with you in the day for entertainment? I'm having the cold cap, which I'm dreading as I suffer badly with headaches, so I'll be in for a while. Can you concentrate enough to read or watch something?
Marina

Hi Amanda, Welcome to the group. Yes mine also all took long untill the op, and then another long wait for the chemo. In this thread we had our first ladies going for their second chemo today. It's great for support and information.
I'd advise you get some anti nausea meds for Christmas day as that seems to be the most common complaint apart from generally feeling exhausted.
How are you doing Gillian? BTW when they check blood before chemo what are they actually checking??
Good luck tomorrow Lynne. Will be thinking of you.
A.Faed

Hello ladies, I am joining you all rather unexpectedly today, I had been told scheduling would phone this week and I should start chemo sometime after 14th January. InsteadI got a call today from the hospital and they want me to start on Cristmas Eve! 

In in the end I said I would start, it's got to be done and it's all being going on so long! The first breast clinc, biopsies etc was 4th Aug, diagnosed 11th, met surgeon 19th, lumpectomy 11th Sept, results, needed an MRI, then a mastectomy and node clearance on the 6th Nov! So it's all be very drawn out and rather slow.

It was very difficult to know what to do on the spot like that. But being as the health authorities down here in East Kent are in special measures, overspent and 4 - 5 weeks behind with chemo (and failed to hit their cancer deadlines) I thought I'd better not miss the opportunity!

I just hope I won't be spending Christmas Day with my head in a bucket!

Amanda x

Lynne1955

Hi Nicola  

thank you for your good wishes.  Xxx

Nicola47

Hi

Well done Gillian another round over, I was thinking about you today as I went to get a couple of wigs. Hope your feeling ok Jane the anxiety of the unknown with the first one is so stressful, hope your feeling comfortable tonight. Also good luck for tomorrow Lynne, hope all goes well. 

Nicola xxx

Gfnich

Hi ladies, second one ticked off now so will see what tomorrow brings, have the pjs on already:) and jug of water at the ready.

had some really positive comments about my wig it is good.  If you havent got one yet amke sure you get one with a monofilament top or a hand tied one if you can, the parting is much more realistic. I got the tip from a friend who is having chemo for amsecond time bless her.   Mine is a Natural Images Sally in a highlighted blonde.  My niece who is 9 going on 15 didnt realise it was a wig.

Red Robin, what anti sickness drugs did you get?  If you were sick speak to your nurse r doctor and ask them for something better next time. Enjoy your day out. 

We are ticking off the days girls xx

red_robin

HI all. I am day 5 (chemo was friday) and feeling a lot better today. So much so I have booked to take my boys an hours journey away to Hove to see Santa this afternoon. We missed the loacl one on Saturday because I was laid on the sofa in a chemo stupor. I was only sick on the friday albeit 4 times. Have been slowly feeling better each day but it has taken a while.

As for wig going to get one in case I need it as got the voucher. My collegue and good friend is going to come with me, my fiance and my boys to help give a ladies opinion on it. Going to turn it into a fun afternoon and having lunch at hers afterwards.

I think we all need to try and find any positives we can out of our trreatment. I know it is incredibly hard but I personally think it is the best way through. I have certainly had my fair share of down days so far but at least I know this is belt and braces and all the other tests came back clear.

This is definately a very good place for support and to boost moral.

Oh and my partner has been doing the white blood cell boosting injections for me (i'm needle phobic) and he is doing so well. This morning it didn't hurt at all. Might have to get him to do all injections in future if this is what he can do on the 4th day.

We can do this ladies much love Vicky xx

Lynne1955

Glad to hear you are both doing well .  My first Chemo is tomorrow - the day is looming.  Trying to get everything up to date today.  So at leastbI can relax in a clean and tidy house x

Marina

Hi Nadz I have bad veins but not offered a port and they actually managed a vein pretty quickly, I was amazed. So don't worry about that as I' m sure you'll be fine. Also where I am there is a waiting list for chemo so I waited 7 weeks between my op and starting chemo. And months to have my op. They say it doesn't grow as quickly as we think. I know the waiting is the hardest.
Good luck all of you tommorrow, I will be thinking of you xxxxx
Nadz

Good luck to everyone starting tomorrow! I haven't been around in a while but have caught up and am very pleased to see that this definitely the best place to go for support and moral. My Chemo had been delayed until 24th due to ivf, which sadly only produced 2 eggs..only 1 fertilised, so that was last week's bad news. Today my portacath placement got cancelled due to staff illness. They were going to delay chemo further until I told them I'm already a month n half behind so will be trying for a vein, despite how wrecked they are. Feel like everything that can go wrong is happening to me. I am struggling but mainly because it's the lack of control I have over anything. Each week some other bad news hits us and I'm just getting sick of being knocked back so often. This is probably the remnants of the hormones talking. But man..I need a break. Anyway, once again, thanks to you all who keep updating on their progress, it really helps
Jane26

Hi everyone,

Having my first round of fec tomorrow. I'm going to try the cold capping but have a wig and hats just in case.

I'm feeling very scared and absolutely dreading it but I  know it has to be done and the sooner I start the sooner it will be over.

Big hugs to you all

Jane X 

Marina

Hope all goes well tomorrow Gillian. Am dreading going in for my second.
Will be thinking of you.

How are the more recent chemo ladies doing. All gone a bit quiet. We are here for you ....
Marina xx
Gfnich

Well ladies, shaved off the rest of my hair today, it was just everywhere in the house and looked utterly ridiculous.  Have worn my wig since Saturday.  tina, I didnt try the cold cap, a few reasons, one being the extra time it takes and secondly because my oncologist said it is not very successful for FEC which is what I had read as well, thirdly I get migraine and didnt want to make it worse.  To be honest I was more worried about being sick -my worst nightmare, than my hair falling out.

went for my bloods this morning and off for round two tomorrow, wouldnt mind have felt great today so not looking forward to being hit by the train again, but hey ho that will be two down.

its so good to have the chance to compare notes on here it really helps.   Will let you know how it goes, my oncologist says to expect what I had the first time but that I will cope better as I know what to expect.  I also had a tip to buy Starburst sweets for when the horrid taste appears, they work a treat apparently.

Gillian xxx

Lozza1217

Hi Lynne
I wanted to be the one to decide when I lost my hair, I couldn't stand the thought of waking up one day and finding it on the pillow! It was the last thing I could take control of whilst going through all this.
Hope your first chemo goes well, will be thinking of you x x
Marina

OMG Laura that is amazing!!!! Well done you, how brave and might I say what a good cause!!!!

Gillian you are like our leader, keeping us informed as you go along. My hair is just going to make it for 

Xmas, I'm dreading it as even having this very short cut is difficult. I was pretty sure I didn't want a wig but now getting cold feet. I've got a little hair on my chin that my tweezers just can't find and I bet it's the last bl**dy one to fall out!!

Tandy 4
Community Champion

Hi gfinch. Did you use cold cap at all? Xx
red_robin

Sorry predictive text.
Good luck Lynne xx
red_robin

Good luck Lynn
Lynne1955

Hope it all goes well my first is Wednesday. X

Gfnich

Hi ladies, I am day 20 now and have lost almost all of my hair, was a shock whenit started on Wednesday but almost used to it already.  Well done Laura inraising money for cancer research.  Off for bloods tmw and second FEC on Tuesday. Xxx

Lynne1955

hi Laura

well done at least losing your hair was made worthwhile.

i start chemo this week and that is what I dread even though I am prepared.  But like you have decided not to go for cold cap as I know I would not be happy with grey hair, as I cannot die it and also the time factor.  Best wishes

Lynne x

Lozza1217

Hey everyone
Hope your all doing ok. Massive day for me today, decided about a week ago that I would shave my hair off before it starts to fall out, and today I did it! Raised nearly £1200 in the process for cancer research. It was a very emotional process and I shed quite a few tears but I'm so glad I did it. It was the one thing out of the whole cancer process that I found the hardest to deal with. I didn't want to try the cold cap as I just thought what with everything else I'm having done I didn't want to add anymore uncomfortable procedures, especially if it doesn't work!
Hope you have all had a good weekend.

Laura x x
Sam B

Hello marina , Tina , Val , Anne and all the other ladies
I'm glad to read you are doing ok. Tomorrow I'm off to hospital to have sentinel node biopsy , not looking forward to bring out to sleep .
Everything else is good just get tired easy .
Xx
Tandy 4
Community Champion

Hi Marina, I'm feeling ok thanks...... Waiting for something to kick in!? But praying it doesn't!! 🙏🏼 I nipped out this aft to shops but glad to be home. Still a little fuzzy head but I've been eating as normal and drinking my water. Xxx Tina

Marina

Today on day 8 after chemo I braved the shops. Felt nauseous but meds sorted that out. Feel as if I have someone elses body. Have always been such a naturally healthy person and now feel as though I am 101 yrs old. Totally exhausted!
How you doing Tina?
Marina xx