cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

December 2015 chemo

Tandy 4
Community Champion

Re: December 2015 chemo

👍🏼 thanks Gilian, that's reassuring xxx I'm feeling back to 'normal' now, this is the Good week before the next onslaught!?.... Still, thankfully for me the third and final FEC 

xx Tina 

Gfnich

Hi all,

hope you have had an ok day, I have been good and just talked to a friend who had fec t a few years ago and she said the t was no where near as bad as the fec , that cheered me up.

i do wonder girls if I had still been on Tamoxifen if I would have been on here.  Wont hesitate about taking it again.

gillian x

Kim555pink

Maybe when we've been through chemo and then radiotherapy, we'll have forgotten what feeling normal is like and cope brilliantly with the next set!! (Here's hoping anyway! 🙂 xxx

A.Faed

Sounds similar to what I was told, probably start with tamoxifen and change after about 7 years to something else (can't remember what the name was!) as I would be through the menopause by then.

The research continues and they are adjusting their treatments accordingly, it's reassuring that they are working away and developing the best best possible ways forward to tackle this horrible disease!

Amanda x

Kim555pink

I was told the same thing about the hormone treatment I'll be having after chemo (started on Monday!) and radiotherapy.  They said it would most likely be 7 years instead on the 5 it used to be and they expect that to be extended to 10 years.  I'm not sure which one I'll be put on. I think I may be through the menapause, as my periods stopped completely about 18 months ago although I've had very few menapausal symptoms (something to be thankful for!) I gather that they'll give be a blood test to decide.

Take care everyone - I ofton drop in on you guys to see how you are getting on 🙂 xxx

A.Faed

Yes, we do have to count our blessings even with our diagnosis, sadly there are many people worse off!

Sissy, I had no problems during the injections but the aces and pains showed up the day after the last injection. I had a sofa day, took some paracetamol and had a hot water bottle, too. The next day and after that the aches had gone and didn't come back.

Im feeling better than yesterday but trying to be sensible and rest enough. The munchies and cravings are still plaguing me as well as aversions to various smells! Dry mouth and thirst has me drinking a litre of water each night which, along with the potty trips, are disturbing my sleep quite a lot!

My cancer is ER+ so it will be tamoxifen for me too, so your experiences once you start will be very interesting Gillian! My onc. Was saying it would probably be 10 years, as the thinking is turning to this giving more protection, my BCN said the feeling is too many ladies are having a recurrence at about 7 years or so.

I live in Kent, about 20 minutes drive from Canterbury.

Amanda x 

Lizzy_BCC

Hi all, 

Thank you for all the support shown by our users on this thread - it is great to see!

Sorry to be the forum police but just a quick reminder that regardless of a persons personal choice we are unable to allow recommendations for cannabis products on the forum.

This is outlined in our terms and conditions and we are unable to allow advertising for Cannabis products as it is against the law. If you do have any questions regarding the medical side of cannabis you can always call our support line at 0808 800 6000.

Just let me know if you have any questions or need anything as I am very happy to help.

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Digital Community Assistant 

Tandy 4
Community Champion

Hi Marina...... Delly is a wonderful very funny and supportive lady, sorry for confusion, I asked this question on wrong thread! She's usually on the want to talk thread and night birds, thought she'd dipped in here too..... 

So so much for saying sleep was better, **bleep**e night last night, gurgly tummy. Back of head itchy last two days..... Kidded myself it was slowing, think it's the same 😏

Marina

Forgot to say my eyelashes are falling out!!!! I think I've aged about 10 years with chemo and now with few eyelashes I really look like a sick cancer patient. Awful.
Yes have read about the cannabis Vicky but I am trying juicing as my alternative therapy.
Re bone pain, I have pain in my hip on and off. In fact am waiting for date for bone scan just in case but I think its the effects of chemo and nothing more sinister.
Marina

Hi ladies, I'm fine now but my mouth is constantly dry and my lips sore.
Now I"m confused who is Delly??
And don't complain about having to take pills after treatment, they keep hormones in check to prevent it coming back. I have Triple Negative which is not hormone related so can't take anything after. Wish I could... but hopefully the chemo will zap it.
Night night
Marina xx
Sissylw1980

Hi all, tonight had my 5th immunity boosting injection, hadn't suffered too much with the bone aches until tonight. I feel as if my bones are throbbing and can barely move from the sofa, I take it this is normal? Thankfully my injections are over for this cycle! Xx
Tandy 4
Community Champion

Oh my Gillian! No I didn't  know this....... I can't fade the thought of going through this again, you're doing so well.

yes, we are lucky Vicky, hope you're feeling bit better tonight. I've complained to ITV I was fuming! Let us know how you get on when you get answer from them..... Ring first thing mind!!! 

Im in the north of Scotland! Lived here since 2005, but am Welsh. Xxxx 

red_robin

Hi ladies. Sorry I haven't been on for a while. I went back to work last Friday. I was so so tired after that I crashed not long after the boys. It did however knock me back into a good sleeping pattern.
My stomach finally today has allowed me to eat more normally. Good job too as was getting fed up of pasties.
Those of you feeling angry irritable I know how you feel. I stayed off facebook for a few days as it was all rickman and bowie things. Yes it is all on the tv too and not your imagination. So many cancer adverts. Don't watch the soaps but sounds like Emmerdale has done a very bad representation. Might have to check it out just to complain to itv!
I cried over something really silly today at work. That's not me.
Yesterday I went to mdcu for a picc flush and dressing change and met a lady who has 3 kids ranging from 6-16. She asked my story and I told her. She then proceeded to tell me hers. She has been having chemo for over a year and is terminal. Once this chemo stops working on the cancer they only have 1 more option at the moment then they can do no more for her. I really felt for her and her young family. Came out feeling like the luckiest person in the hospital because I can be cured and won't have to face knowing I won't see my youngest to adulthood. So ladies we are all very lucky as we aren't terminal.

Someone asked about what we do to relax. I practice guitar, listen to music (Newton Faulkner is my favourite), my favourite tv show is 24 (on season 6 episode 9) which I watch with Leo (fiancé). My boys keep me pretty busy too.

As for how I am now. Feeling ok but this evening the aching in my picc arm I had today, which I put down to laying on it in the night has turned to a thobbing about 9 tonight. Had a look at it and looks like it is a little swollen and tender. Tried mdcu but no answer. It can wait until the morning right? Was reading the info and could be infection maybe or clot in the line. No temp or reddness or anything else.

I am in West Sussex receiving chemo at Worthing hospital.
I go up to Kent regularly to take my boys to see their dad and to see my family.
Where is everyone else?
Gfnich

Tina, Sure you will have read in the thread I had breast cancer in 2007.  I was 46 it was estrogen positive and I had op, rads and Tamoxifen for five years.  DONT Panic about this being my second time, its not related and just bad luck, I was cured and doing well. After this treatment I will be ok again and back to being like any woman out ther, maybe thats why I try to be upbeat and thats the way I am.   The tamoxifen didnt affect my periods but then I hadnt had chemo that time round.  i can honestly say I had no noticable side effects from the Tamoxifen apart from heavier periods.  The research at the time said five years was what you needed, compared to chemo its a doddle.  Rads are too.  

Seems like I will be the December Tamoxifen guinea pig as mine is 2nd feb 

take care Gillian x

Tandy 4
Community Champion

Yes Gilian I think that's what was mentioned!?...... Told mine was hormone related and I'd be on medication for up to 10 years. Not sure yet if this treatment is going to bring on menopause but meds after certainly will. I'm 50 in April....... Not started the change yet, just had few symptoms of flushes last tear for few weeks then they stopped! Regular painful periods still too. If all goes to schedule I'll have last T day before my 50th!!! Xxx 

ive sent Delly private message to let her know we're missing her on here and the just want to talk thread..... I've not been on the night birds thread for while, but notice neither has she..... Hopefully we'll hear from her soon?, xx 

A.Faed

Thanks for the advice Gillian and Tina, I'll see what tomorrow brings, I do eat a lot of fruit but probably haven't drunk enough water in the last couple of days. I was ok on FEC 1 so thought it would be the same this time....silly me!

One more FEC and then I'll be worrying about the T! I guess you can ask in the earlier monthly treads to find out what the difference may be. I've heard that you may be less nauseous but there are more aches and pains. It seems lots of hand and nail care will be needed, and keeping on nail polish!

Amanda x

Lynne1955

Hi

think I must be lucky.  On day 6 after 2nd FEC and feeling ok.  Managed to do 2 hours work this morning - but then I became very tired.  I dont have to work but it seems to work for me and as its at home and I can stop and start I do.  I think it brings some normality back to my life.

hope everyone is coping ok.  Lots of love x

Gfnich

Hi Tina, do you know what you need after your chemo.  Is it Tamoxifen? 

X

Tandy 4
Community Champion

Hi Gilian! I'm doing ok thanks Hun..... Agree with you about the days! I too started to feel more human by day 8! Day 12 today and feel like my usual self 👍🏼☺️

Bored...... Want to go back to work!!! Hey ho..... The week after the session feels more like a month then this point feel ok, come the weekend I'll be fretting about the next cycle and memories of hoping through it come flooding back!!!! 😖 Makes it harder as I know I'll be on my own again for first few days, but I've done it once I can do it again! I'm too worried about the change or increase of SE with the T rounds? Thought of losing nails turns my stomache!! Then the added concern of SE on the meds following treatment for years to come? 

Amanda, first one I was constipated but didn't gave to take anything as after few days of plenty of water, satsumas (could eat four in one go!! Craved them) and grapes things shifted. This time round no constipation, but day 5 became other way! Not badly but when I felt the need I had to go, and boy did it come!! 😉 That settled by day 8 and all ok now. 

Love to all xxxx Anyone heard from Delly? Xx Tina 

Gfnich

Hi ladies,

have felt good today, day 8 of third FEC,  I have found each one the days 5,6,7 have been worse and by day 8 feel human again.  I count today as half way as that is the horrid bit of 3 cycles done, dosent seem long since I started the December thread.

Tina, how are you doing?

Marina?

we seem to have lost a couple of December  people hope they are ok.

amanda, I suffered with constipation on each cycle, first two I took a movicol sachet yuck yuck yuck, when I got desparate and also tried Sennokot.  For the third I had a sachet of movicol each morning when I got up mixed with pineapple juice, it tastes much better and have ti say this time round was much better.  

Spending my thinking time wondering what taxotere will bring.  

Gilian x

A.Faed

Day 6 and feeling wiped out, bad sleep last night and feeling a wee bit sicky but not too much.

Eagle hasn't landed for a few days now, going to try some figs later!

Hope you're a bit better today Nadz, chemo stinks and is even worse if your on you own and missing someone! It will improve, don't you forget that! Thinking of you and sending big hugs.

Amanda x

Tandy 4
Community Champion

Nadz Hun...... I Feel your pain, stress and anger. Ring support line? Your nurse? Family? Friend? Day 5 today....... Hope you feel bit better ....... Here for you to vent off to Nadz. 

day 6, 7,8 you will do mate.

I've to remember this wk after next!!?!....... It's just total bollocks! And nobody who hasnt gone through this will ever know! 

Sending you huge hugs and love Nadz, take care xxxxx Tina thinking if you 

Nadz

Hi. Not doing well. Day4. Struggling. Miss partner. Can't focus on screen or much.wish all well. Hate chemo
Gfnich

Thats good Tina, I have walked the dog today too.  Cardboard taste is bad today.  My arm is really sore when I stretch it out straight, I am going to get the wheat bag on it tonight.  Otherwise will hopefully get better by the day now it is day 7. Gillian x

Tandy 4
Community Champion

Hi guys,...... Hope this finds you all doing ok? 

I spoke to my nurse about my arm, said it'll be my vein inflamed from the canula. Nothing to worry about as it's not swollen, red or blistered. To keep eye on it.  So that's good. Xx feeling fine today, took myself out for a 25 minute walk, just round the block twice. Kept it fairly brisk. Hair still shedding but...... Shhhhh..... 🙏🏼😉 I'm not sure if it's slowing down....... 

Love to all xxx Tina 

A.Faed

Good luck tomorrow Claire, I guess you're at Kent & Canterbury like Sissy?

It's good to get the first one under your belt. I hope you will be relatively free of side effects!

Amanda x

Gfnich

You should ring.  I had same and sent my onc a pic on Friday, she told me to apply 1% hydrocortisone and let her know if it got worse.  It has improved, my veins are really sore. If its hot though might be infected so make sure you get it checked.  Xx

Marina

Good to hear we've all got the SE sorted. I too am feeling better although have a streaming cold again. Tina hope you get yr problem sorted and cleared up quick. You are having bad luck.
Cyber hugs to all and good luck with chemo this week ladies.
Marina
Kim555pink

Decided against cold capping, I can't bear the cold or having headaches and as I wouldn't be able to have my hair dyed I thought I'd be needing to cover the roots up anyway as the grey grew through!  Had my hair cut short, bought some nice headgear from Annabandana and I'm OK about my wig now too so I think I have it covered!

Thanks for all of your support and advise 🙂 xxx

Tandy 4
Community Champion

😚 Will be thinking of you Claire! Xxx get this thing started sooner finished!...... Xxxxx Tina 

Cs66

Glad to hear you are doing ok Amanda and Tina. I join the gang tomorrow with first FEC. Scared of the unknown but drinking the water and hoping for the best. I have been following this thread to see how you are getting on. I had a port fitted do that should make getting the drugs in easier. 

Just want the first one  done now! It's been a long time waiting for it.

claire xxxxxx

A.Faed

Kim, keep up the water drinking, I did 2L the day before, on the day and the day after the chemo, good for helping puff up your veins, too! Yep, you'll be toddling to the loo a lot but I think it's worth it. FEC 1 I had terrible nause etc for the first evening, about 5-6 hours but that was it, none this time on FEC 2, day 4, so far anyway!

I have had very few side effects to speak of, bit of chemo brain and tiredness here and there, probably due too doing too much as I felt pretty normal, I hope that will last! 

Next bloods and assessment 2nd Feb, Onc appointment 3rd of Feb and FEC 3 on the 4th Feb, all being well.

Keep on trucking ladies!

Amanda x

Tandy 4
Community Champion

Thanks Kim, I'll call her tomorrow. Was this time first session I ended up on antibiotics! Last time my scar sure got side and inflamed! Our poor bodies trying to so mych prioritising inside eh!?! 

Wishing all the best fir tomorrow Hun, are you cold capping? Xx will be thinking of you xx Tina 

Kim555pink

Hi Tina, I had that after my operation, and mine was flebitus (no idea if that's spelt right) which was aggrevation on the vein from my canulas.  I was on antibiotics anyway and it cleared up.  Definately call your BC nurse, could be the same thing and she may suggest you go to the Gp for antibiotics. If it's nothing, then at least you wont worry about it 🙂

First chemo tomorrow! Been drinking so much water, I'll probably be up all night going to the loo!

Take care xxx

Tandy 4
Community Champion

Hi guys.... Doing ok. Day 10, feeling more human now! Had lovely weekend with company from hubby..... On own again now for next couple of weeks though and dreading it..... But I'll try keep busy. Last session feels weed past but it's not, trying not to think of next one. 

Think I should call BCN tomorrow? I've a terrible 'burning to touch' area still on side of forearm? Could it be from canula site? It's not my op side, my 'good' side!! Really hurts to touch. Apart from this I'm ok, no nausea just the constant hair shedding and emotions from that. 

Hugs xx Tina xxx 

Gfnich

Hi everyone, how are you all doing?  Hopw you are all coping.  Been ok day 6 now and pretty similar to last session. X

Gfnich

Other end of the country then.. My mum was from Kent, Bromley. Lets hope we have an ok weekend x
A.Faed

I live in Kent, btw, have the various treatments in three of my local hospitals. Now haveing chemo at the QEQM in Margate.

Amanda x

A.Faed

Haha Nadz..you might well be high. Yes David Bowie, I was a young teen in the 70,s in is Ziggy Stardust years, he was so bloody exotic...so we're lots of other pop stars then, not like today's boy band types who just like the boy-next-door! You wouldn't have brought one the those 70's rock or pop stars home to meet your parents!

I love watching Disney movies too, having had four daughters, we have a fairly extensive collection and we do keep buying the new stuff as well! Playing Spider Solitaire or Rush Hour on the iPad

Amanda x

Nadz

I might be high
Nadz

Hugs hugs hugs to all
Gfnich

Hi Amanda and all

you talk lots of sense and are realistic.  Arm still pulling but ok, they know about it, it should improve now I am finished with FEC.  Pleased you have fec 2 underway, and hope you do ok.  I am much same as last time for day 4 tired and feeling lazy.  Where are you having your treatment, I am in Newcastle.

For those of you finding this tough What I try to focus on is I know this isnt easy but there are so many people worse off out there I have two very good friends also having much worse chemo than me, one having reaaly nasty stuff into her jugular vein in her neck! I also see the signs in the hospital for the child cancer unit, how sad.  I just think of them when I feel badly done too and realise I am quite lucky really and if I keep going I will get there.  Dont get me wrong, I have low points and cry too but try not to let it take over my positivity.  Its not nice and we are unlucky but we can do it girls.

big hugs to everyone gillian x

Nadz

Oh and what does everyone do to help chill? I watch Disney (inner child) greys anatomy(gives me a good healthy cry) and ncis (addicted). I also listen to music on Spotify. Find those thing's are good for me when I can't concentrate fully. My proper shows (Luther, etc) have to wait until better because they mess with my mind
Gfnich

Hi Amanda and all

you talk lots of sense and are realistic.  Arm still pulling but ok, they know about it, it should improve now I am finished with FEC.  Pleased you have fec 2 underway, and hope you do ok.  I am much same as last time for day 4 tired and feeling lazy.  Where are you having your treatment, I am in Newcastle.

For those of you finding this tough What I try to focus on is I know this isnt easy but there are so many people worse off out there I have two very good friends also having much worse chemo than me, one having reaaly nasty stuff into her jugular vein in her neck! I also see the signs in the hospital for the child cancer unit, how sad.  I just think of them when I feel badly done too and realise I am quite lucky really and if I keep going I will get there.  Dont get me wrong, I have low points and cry too but try not to let it take over my positivity.  Its not nice and we are unlucky but we can do it girls.

big hugs to everyone gillian x

Nadz

Fec 2 has been done! Just waiting to take cold cap off but already feeling off centred. Sucking on a slice of mango right now.
Just saw that emerdale episode there now..thought it was stupid.
Can't believe Alan Rickman has died, I loved him!! And bowie! Will always remember being very confused at how I kept being drawn towards his crotch in labyrinth as a kid.
Cravings are crazy - this is why they say to eat what you feel like as it's your body telling you what you need.
Temper-gosh yes mine is shocking, keep snapping and feel awful for it.
My little sister found out she was pregnant on the same day I was diagnosed, so I find it amusing that we ate nearly going through the same things but for different reasons-difficulties sleeping, cravings, mood swings!
Can feel myself slipping away. Going to crash soon. Which is a shame. Was looking forward to my partners hot chicken baguette
A.Faed

Hi Sissy, 

I think cravings are really normal and are your bodies way of you telling you what it needs, you should go with them, if they aren't too extreme! 😉 This is very similar to the various things you might crave in pregnancy, I had one for oranges in my first one and broccoli in my last, along with going right off a few things including coffee! At the moment, malted milk biscuits are going down really well!

Tina, patience can be a bit short lately for me too, I don't watch soaps and it sounds like Emerdale have done a pants job of illustrating what the whole cancer diagnosis, waiting and treatment is really like! I heard the news of Alan Rickman's death while I was having chemo yesterday! I don't know what kind of cancer he and David Bowie had, but I wonder, you know with the blokes...did they check themselves, did they report symptoms soon enough? We all know the potential risk we are at but remember that they are pretty good at treating out type of cancer...with the surgery, chemo and radiotherapy we and our medical professionals are giving all we've got! Good luck with the wig fitting! If you're not convinced, try Amazon for cheap wigs so it doesn't matter if you don't wear of need them in the end. Anna Bandana have a huge range of scarves etc and are very reasonable and fast delivery too. I don't like my wig at all but will try again once all my hair has gone.

Marina, sometimes you just need to step back from everything and watch a favourite DVD or something you haven't got round to watching with a cup of what you fancy and so nibbles you crave and forget everything else for a while! Try the Headspace app, too, for a sort of meditation, you get ten free I think.

Vicky, how are you today, did you go in in the end? Don't overdo it and speak up if you don't feel well!

Fredflowerpot (do you have a shorter name? 😉) I hope you're ok today, FEC 2 on top of being poorly is tough, lots of rest and drink plenty of fluids, can't extol the virtues of drinking plenty of water enough, try about 1½  - 2 litres a day even if it does leave you trotting off to wee rather a lot!

Gillian, I hope you arm is ok, as if we have to got enough to deal with, without that happening! Have you phoned the helpline and reported it? I had FEC 2 yesterday, different vein from the first time no so far, all is ok! All I know about T is there seems to be less sickness but more aches and pains. So I suppose the bad/ok/better week rhythm will continue!

Love and hugs to everyone,

Amanda x

Tandy 4
Community Champion

Hi Sissy, I've had terrible cravings too..... As well as going off things. It's like being pregnant all over again? I wish, I'd go through that over and over in a heartbeat..... But thus? 😢 Had a better nights sleep but still awake early. All this inactivity making me feel grubby, but I've not the energy. Really can't face seeing friends either. 

Marina, I've been, still am, anxious. Tidying, getting irritated easily and angry...... With everything! Hubby bless him, home last nght. Wasn't angry with him or towards him, just things on telly,  and swear!?! OMG! I don't usually swear (well, the odd **bleep**, bugger etc?!) but I mean cursing this bastard thing happening, the treatment the effects it's having on me, my body, my life, my identity! 😖 HATE IT! And is it just me being overly sensitive? BUT ITS EVERYWHERE!!!??!! I found it tough, going through first round of procedures and recovery in October when it was the official breast awareness month! But it's every day, someone losing their life to it. Today, Celine Dion husband....... Third one in a matter of days. Maybe I should just turn off the TV, not read papers/magazines and forget social media. Hubby says though it seems more and more in daily life, that it's creating more awareness and maybe that people are more open to talking about it?

AND......... (Sorry on a right Royal rant now!) WHY is it in nearly every story line in programmes? There's someone with it on all soaps! Makes viewing hard. Does anyone watch Emmerdale? Really!? They have not portrayed reality in the time and stress people go through with all the waiting...... 'Diane' got her diagnosis immediately, her procedure and results almost same day! Then, straight into chemo and losing her hair...... Let's not forget has chosen and ordered wigs of which are arriving the next day! 😖😜😏😠

Sorry guys...... Went off on one then?...... But that's how I was last night too! Poor hubby. 💞

Still feel all knotted up inside and today I've an appointment to look at wigs. Feel it may be another emotional day? 

Sending everyone hugs xxxxx Tina ....... Going to try hard today to be less angry...... 😏

Sissylw1980

Hi all, I have another question for you. I've been awake all last night, despite taking my steroids yesterday at 1130am. I couldn't switch my brain off and then started to get hungry and a craving for a jam and peanut butter sandwich, which I've had to give in to. I take it all of this is normal? Xx
Marina

Is it just me? I am SO sensitive to everything. I go round the house and everything bothers me and I am making piles of things to get rid of. All my potions and lotions to my sister today. A huge pile of old magazines got rid of, hadn't even read some but too overwhelmed by everything. Clothes to charity etc.
I just can't find peace, or pleasure or anything. Everything bothers me!!!
fredflowerpot

hi all not been on line for a few good days as been poorly. had my second fec today as. .hope you are all good. tc xx