373809posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

December 2016 Starters

WMJ

Re: December 2016 Starters

The hair on my head shedding blissfully!

Still some on legs & underarms, but not growing quickly. The 'undercarriage' was the first place to shed, just a light covering there now.

Best bit is I am not fighting with stubborn chin hairs.... LOL 🙂

Looks to be dull and extremely windy here so probably an indoor day. Be glad to get past day 14 & thinking I am less likely to pick anything up. 

You look great running girl. I am a bit scared to shaving my whole head, not of it being bare but of cutting myself or shearing an ear off! I am at a number 1 but don't fancy shaving it with the hair clippers and don't have a lady shave that would do the job. SIck of trying to get the hairs out of my numerous hats, which I do on a daily basis.

Have a good day one & all.

Hugs. XX

Andreaj

Hi All

Hope its a good one for you, keep your chin up we are all one day closer to finishing treatment.

Had my second fec two days ago and amazed that I feel ok this round, I beleive the fasting has had a good effect, the fast its self made me feel so ill that I was sure I would not do it again but tbh the way I feel now is such a difference that if this continues I will do it again.  I feel more like Im on day 7 or 8 than day 2 so much more energy less nausea I can think,,well mostly lol Did a few hours admin last night and I wasnt well enough to even sit at a computer for more than a few mins at this stage last time.

As last time I know when I want a wee I have to go THEN no waiting til Im in real need as I can usually do or I end up with ... well enough said I think, anyone else had this early on after chemo

Odd this time too I woke up last two night due to aches in my lump area..felt a bit creepy but am hoping it is the chemo doing its stuff..anyone else?

off to get loratidine today, when I had chemo they told me I should have been given the gcsf injections last time as well !! since I ended up in a&e due to low white cells etc last time I am not happy and now really concerned as I seem to have a few things where they have made mistakes.  Anyway I asked for the injections and have them so get to use one on friday ..Oh joy

Snail

weight loss ideas. I lost 4 and a half stones the 18 months before being diagnosed in fact the loss of fat is probably the reason I found my lump so it was a blessing I stuck to it.  I did it on my own by cutting my carbs right back and eating lots of protien it worked for me like nothing else has ever done and I felt very well and not hungry.  I also used myfitnesspal.com which was really good and free online.

I hope you feel a bit better today, some days are just poo but maybe tommorow can be better chin up my lovely

Mooney

I see you have had some great advice already I had dreadful consitpation and while I do not recommend it for anyone else I have bought a home enema kit online which I will be using very gently and carefully this time if the movicol prunes etc dont work, I was desperate last time and in such pain and I hope this will simply ease things. It cost about £7..as I said though I wouldnt advocate using it Im simply going to try it myself

Running girl

You look great with your hair gone ... so how come I look like Mrs Potatoe head humpppp

Agarside Yup pubes left the area first for me too and in a kind of reverse mohican - try not to imagine that it looked hysterical!!

Anyway ladies onwards and upwards gentle hugs all round 

Running girl 53

Nice to see some lighthearted posts. Its good we can all share amusing comments about our folicle situation. Good to lighten the mood. Have a good day all. Xx
fiddlercrab

Looks good! I shaved mine because it was driving me nuts. Not brave enough to show anyone though! Leg hair is still going strong, underarms have stopped growing but not fallen out and downstairs is thinning. Today is day 15 so I am expecting another round of full on shedding from my stubby head imminently. 

Running girl 53

Eyebrows "Models own" lol. Think they are thinning though. X
Agarside

Snail888  Same here!!!  Hair on top is beginning to get very sore and 'prickly'.... guess days are now numbered....

A

x

Snail888

The most hair that has gone is from my "under carriage". Legs still hairy!
Agarside

Oh dear....  I am losing hair, but not from my head.... *eyes rolling*  typical!

A

x

Snail888

I'm loving your eyebrows too. Xx
JoJo45

Looking good girl, I think we all rock the bald looks xx
Rooner999

Good for you running girl -awesome picture. It's quite liberating isn't it? 👍🏼
Running girl 53

Thanks. I scrolled down to bottom of page and clicked on full site and it looks like it would on a computer then you can upload an image. 

SALowery

Well done, you look amazing, mines all gone too but I don't know how to post a pic !!!!

Running girl 53

Well hair was driving me nuts today. Really iritating me under my wig. So when i got home from work i used my lady shave to take off as much as i could.  Feels so much better now. Thought i'd post a photo of my new shiny head!20170110_212107.jpg

Mooney

WMJ

Hi Ladies,

Mooney, Running girl 53 is right in what she says, we are allowed to have off days, some days are certainly a lot better than others, on a scale of not being great.

I have had a weird taste in my mouth for the last few days, even salt & vinegar crisps don't taste right! It is not stopping me eating tho, I actually think I may have put some weight on this time, which isn't great, but the least of my worries. May try and do a bit of a healthy week pre cycle 3, (halfway there :)) which will include my pre & post fasting. This dark miserable weather doesn't help either, apparently we are due a cold spell towards the end of the week. I am hoping it will will bring us some brighter skies and more inspiration to do things and more importantly get out walking more. 

BTW.....did not like all that talk of periods, which I refer to as the nasties, as that's what they dam well are. My goodness aren't we all going through enough? Sorry to hear a few of you have had that to put up with, I sympathise with you. I have been having hot flushes, again, as still wasn't quite  through my menopause. I had my last period the week before I started the chemo, after a big gap. I am just hoping I don't start another during it. 😞

Hoping everyone is getting through the worst of things, well those at the latter end of their cycle, and starting to feel brighter in themselves. 

Have a good day ladies,

Hugs xx

Running girl 53

Hi Mooney
Know just what you mean about feeling like you're in a bubble. I feek very much the same when i've had chemo. Hate the 4 or 5 days following when i feel ill, weak, and most definately sorry for myself. But you are allowed to feel like that. Allow yourself to accept how you feel because anyone in the same position would feel the same. Don't give yourself a hard time trying to be "normal". I just bunker down and plod my way through it moaning and feeling sorry for myself. But then you find one day you feel a little better and start to pick yourself up again and i find by the end of the week i feel like me again. I hope you feeling better real soon. Enjoy your good days and give yourself things to look forward to. Xx
Cookiepuss

Sorry I meant Mooney (not Mooner)!

Cookiepuss

I found the article on fasting quite informative and it will be quite interesting to see how they do more research to refine it.  Fasting is definitely not for me as I feel faint and woozy if I don't eat regular meals and I am not sure it is worth feeling so unwell.

Fiddler - my legs and underarms are quite smooth considering I have not shaved them for well over a week.  I am praying my eyebrows don't go as I would not be good at drawing them back in and would end up looking like something out of a horror film.

Mooner - I was given Movicol on prescription.  However, I haven't had to use it yet as I take a sachet of Fybogel every day and eat fruit such as pineapple and mango which helps "keep things moving".  If that doesn't work and you have to wait to get Movicol then Dulcoease (which you can get over the counter at the chemist) will most definitely do the trick - you are supposed to take it before bed and it works overnight but (be warned) do not move too far from a bathroom.

Well my periods have disappeared and I didn't think I would get one whilst on chemo but it sounds as though a couple of you have had theirs return with a vengeance.  Something else to look forward to!

JoJo - will be interesting to hear how you get on with the T cycles although I guess everyone will react differently anyway.  Have you been advised to paint your finger and toe nails a very dark colour (eg black or dark purple) as the T can cause them to flake (something to do with it reacting with ultraviolet - not that we are getting much sunshine at the moment) but having dark nail varnish can help mitigate it.

Lou Green

Hi Mooney, I am day 5 too on first cycle and feel quite weird. Not ill or sick but in a bubble definately. Almost waiting for something to happen but expect the next thing is the hair loss. Planning a daily routine to include a good walk and experimenting making soups and broths so I will eat more fresh veg. Have noticed some things don't taste the same! I am thinking the same as you - I am lucky ! xx

JoJo45

Hi snail, I too have a really heavy period, was going to post asking if anyone else was like this as the first one since my op at the beginning of October.  Was told by oncologist that they would probably stop whilst on the chemo but I guess my body has just woken up again, oh joy, the pains are like when I was younger 😥 Feeling so tired with it.  Due to start T on Wednesday let's hope my haemoglobin levels are ok.  

Mooney

Thanks ladies have appt with nurse practitioner today. Don't think it helps that the weathers so miserable. Am going to try and get on with a quilt I was making just to try and inject some normality. Thanks for the name of the medication Jacquie will talk to the oncology team on the 19th. Feel like a turkey stuffed for Christmas! x
Snail888

Movicol for constipation. I'm feeling sorry for myself too. Went out yesterday now have heavy period banging headache and huge Cold sore. Have to rag myself down hospital for bloods todaytoo xx
Jacquie48

Hi again Mooney. I've been given Dioctyl (docusate sodium) 100mg "for prevention and treatment of constipation". One to ask for next time but in the meantime see if your GP or chemo unit can get you sorted. We all have bad days. Yes, maybe there are people worse off, but that doesn't mean we can't have a bad day. I think many of us have similar feelings. So used to doing everything and being out and about living our lives and then it changes in an instant. I also think the chemo drugs themselves affect my mood. There are amazing ladies on this thread who are always happy to listen or try to help and they've certainly helped me. Hope you can get your mouth and bowels sorted! I was given Nystatin first for thrush, but it made me retch so they switched it to Flucanazole. Which had the happy side effect of moving my bowels along 😄. Do let us know how you get on. I'm heading out for a walk before the rain comes. Xx
Mooney

Thanks Jackie. Yes am OK just trying to get my head round this whole situation. Feel like I am in some sort of bubble where time has slowed and I am treading water. I have always been very busy and I feel sort of pent up as if 'normal' life has ceased. I am now the person worrying about infections and constipation!! Which is ridiculous as I am so not that person I am used to rushing around taking life by the scruff of the neck travelling to look after my grandchildren regularly to save childcare, organising events meeting friend, i dont know what to do now. Have to get a grip I know - and I am only 5 days in to 1st cycle! Think I feel a bit sorry for myself today and shouldn't, so many people worse off than me!
Jacquie48

Hi Mooney, you may have oral thrush. If you are able to get to your GP please do as it isn't nice. On the constipation I feel your pain. If lactulose and Senna haven't worked it may be worth ringing the chemo suite and asking their advice (or your GP if you go). I have been given something to take during my next cycle because I suffered badly last time. Can't remember the name but as soon as I can check the box for you I'll post the name. Hope you are otherwise ok x
Mooney

Morning
I am on the January 2017 starters and wanted to pick your brains! I have problem with the roof of my mouth I have skin coming off and it is quite sore. Also I am quite constipated! oh Joy! I have tried the magcal unblocker from this thread and lactulose and senna to no avail. Any suggestions gratefully received I am 5 days into 1st FEC.
fiddlercrab

Snail - Can't advise re: slimming world but if you want a free calorie tracker I have been using MyFitnessPal for several years (on and off). I really helps me keep my eating under control, helped me lose the last couple of stone (weightwatchers did for the first couple) and more importantly keep it off for the last few years. It's free. I also need to get my eating under control, particularly in the 2nd half of each cycle when I am not keeping the queasy feeling under control with snacks, just eating the snacks!

Rooner - good for you on going commando! I haven't bought a wig because it just made me feel awkward thinking about it. I have a selection of hats (from annabandana), buffs and loads of scarves (because I have loads anyway, just haven't put one on my head yet). I mostly wear a sleep cap with a buff over it, but yesterday tried a slouchy beanie. A baby stared at me a lot but didn't really notice anyone else. Today I am braving the school run!

My body skin now feels weirdly smooth although my head is still stubbly and legs are full-on werewolf. I am expecting another round of shedding to start in a few days when I reach day 15. Kind of dreading the eyebrows going because that's what screams 'cancer' to me, not the head baldness or the hats. I have never been a makeup person and I am not sure now is the best time to experiment with drawing them on!

Andreaj

still trying to stick with the fast but feel rough and not sure if I will do this again per chemo

I get my second round tommorow and a couple of hours later an appt with the consultant..not sure how I will cope with that as last time I got pretty sick right after chemo but it was the only appt I could get.

snail thanks for the tips on loratidine, I will be having the injections this time round so will be visiting tesco tommorow or hubby will 🙂 I will probably try the high fibre prefast as the way I have done it this time certainly hasnt suited my body, I feel like I have added three days extra to my yucky phase.

I have been going out in hats so far and am not too worried about being seen bald but really would prefer to wear a wig so what you said about persevering past the first ten minutes is probably what I will do ..so thanks for mentioning that.  I have stuck it on a few times and pulled it off a few minutes later thinking its just horrible and itchy but it sounds like I have to stick it out a bit longer, and I do have one of those cap thingies.

Agarside

I feel for you with your itchy sore scalp, for me that was one of the worst side effects, my head got so sore I could barely lay down but it did get a lot better once the hair starting coming out and I trimmed the rest off, though the short little spikes I was left with were a bit uncomfortable to begin with.

On a positive note Im quite cheered up to see that my hair is now definatley trying to grow back since I have been over 4 weeks between chemo's.  I know they say it will grown again but at the back of my mind I have kind of wondered what if it doesnt lol

Running girl

Thanks for the fasting info and how you got on, Im hoping the side effects for me will be reduced since I have felt pretty bad through the fasting so far.

Rooner 

Since my cancer is hormone receptive the first thing they did was take me off hrt so Im going through meopause on top of everything else .. oh lovely lol anyway your not on your own with the annoying sweats, I get them anytime day or night but Im guessing thats because I came off hrt suddenly you are supposed to have a slow withdrawal.

Well ladies I really hope you are all feeling as strong as you can and that tommorow is a better day.

Andrea

Snail888

Just wanted to say how lovely you all are and how grateful I am for this forum! X
Rooner999

Thanks for the ulcer tips everyone and the slimming world info - I was going to join up on Thursday as a group has just started in our village - maybe I won't now!
Snail888

And I thought I was doing quite well. I've not had a cold sore for years but like you say this is probably the lowest point my body has hit. 3 rounds chemo and low white cells x
Agarside

A cold sore is Herpes Simplex, so you will need and antiviral like Acyclovir. Again another symptom of being run down.  

A

x

Snail888

Ooh yes please Amanda you can do private messaging through this forum I tried to type me email but it got refused? I like the breakfast ideas thanks x
Snail888

I think I have a Cold sore coming. I wonder if difflam will work on it?
Agarside

Snail888, I do Slimming World, my membership is "Suspended" whilst I sort out this cancer.  But, I do follow as best I can as I am determined not to undo all the hard work I had done to lose just over 2 stone in the 6 months up to my diagnosis.  Also, some of the food I use in my fasting periods.

Here are a few I use very regularly:

Breakfast:  Muller lite yogurt with chopped bannana, or frozen mixed fruits.

1 slice wholemeal bread with two eggs, i have scrambled (no milk, I add extra water), tinned                    choped tomatoes/baked beans.  You can add lean loads of lean back bacon.

Although the diet is easy, quite complicated to write here, happy to give examples of my menu choices for lunches or dinners if you want...

Amanda

xx

Cookiepuss

Snail - I don't do Slimming World but for breakfast I tend to have cereal (Weetabix, Shredded Wheat, Bran Flakes, Oatiflakes that sort of thing - nothing sugary) with fruit or porridge with fruit.  In terms of fruit I try to go for what is in season but I particuarly like mango, pineapple, blueberries or raspberries and the former two are good if constipation is a problem.

Alternatives are scrambled egg on muffins or scrambled egg with smoked salmon.  I also like poached egg but am not sure if runny poached eggs are to be avoided whilst on chemo.

Mouth ulcers - I find the Corsodyl Daily (alcohol free) is very good combined with the Nystatin that is prescribed.  I have had a couple of ulcers from eating something too hot and after using the Corsodyl and the Nystatin they have disappeared almost immediately.  I am also cleaning my teeth after every meal.

However, the Difflam mouthwash is also excellent if the ulcers start spreading.

Alieck

Hi runner999, just wanted to say how lovely it is that you can embrace the wigless look. With me the victim element kicks in and I don't want the pity/sorry looks. With regard to ulcers I had a mouthwash from the chemo unit being Benzydamine which works for me. xx
Snail888

Has anyone done slimming world? Can you explain it or suggest a simple breakfast and lunch that fits in. If you have cancer they won't let you join but I really want to try and get my weight under control. Evening meals are easy to do but what do you eat for breakfast and lunch? Xx
Agarside

Mouth ulcers, dad a raw bit of garlic on them, hurts like hell for a minute but then they go pretty quick.  Or dab a bit of Bon Jella (sp) and it at least numbs them for a bit.

I have 3 atm...  although my mother used to tell me they were a sign of telling a "lie" it is body showing it is run down.

A

x

Rooner999

Poor you agarside. I was due on last week but nothing arrived; but I guess that along with the night sweats means good old menopause.

I totally agree cookiepuss; I don't do victim but I also feel really false in the wig and had a dream the other night that I was hosting a meeting and my wig was wonky and everyone was laughing so I think I'd rather be comfy and me and get the occasional pitty stare than worry how wiggy is looking but as you say each to the own. Xx

Bad mouth ulcers today; how are people sorting those?
Snail888

Andrea re fasting. Not every metabolism copes well with it and it sounds like you may have low blood sugar. I would work up to the present chemo fast next round up reduce sugars and only eat low gi carbs such as bran flakes or porridge etc. Maybe too much of a system shock this time. I put myself on a high fibre 2 day diet before. Hope you feel a bit better xx
Running girl 53

Argaside
Sorry to hear you been unwell again. Glad you are home and hope you are feeling much better soon. X
Snail888

Sorry to hear about the trip to a and e. After 30 years of irregular periods they are now like clock work including the 2 I have had through chemo. I was hoping they would stop but no luck.
As for sleep caps Anna bandana are cheap and do all sorts of bits for the head.
I've been doing 10km every day on my indoor bike just gentle trying to keep moving.
Managed a trip out of the house today in the face mask but still out and about.
Take care ladies xx
Running girl 53

Andrea J i didn't do complete fast i treated it like the 5-2 diet which is 5 days normal eating then 2 days of 400 calories. I did this day before and day of chemo. Not sure if it made any difference. I can't say that the effects of chemi were any less . Not sure if i'll do it again. Rooner good to hear you are confortable with "going commando " as i call it. I'm not brave enough for that i'm afraid. Not yet anyway. I think when it starts to grow back i will feel better about the shorn look as i know myself i've come through the treatment. Enjoy starting your fitness regime.
Hope you have all had a good weekend and here's to a good week. Xx
Cookiepuss

Rooner - I do get where you are coming from.  For me I just don't want to stand out as a "cancer patient" hence the wig and head coverings (plus my head is cold as I used to have very thick hair which was good insulation). 

I wasn't sure when to start using hair growing products - my guess is that the remaining stubble I have will fall out as I am finding bits in my hats even now.  My OH thought that some people start to get a covering once they have finished the FEC part but I read that the T chemo causes hair loss too but that some people do start to get growth before they finish the T cycles. 

Currently I am using E45 on my head but am going to get some almond or coconut oil too.

Agarside

Hi All,

Just to say I do like to read all of your posts and keep up with how you are all doing, especially those who have symptoms similar to me or doing regimes similar to me.  Am now Day 11 and head is beginning to feel itchy and sore 😞

Although on the whole all has been going pretty well here and my symptoms have been nowhere near as uncomfortable as some of you (my heart goes out to you), but I gues I did have to get tripped up somewhere along the line.  How bloody likely, after 6 months of no periods, and thinking "yeah" I get one, but not just a normal one, but heavy and incredibly painful.  I called the helpline and was in contact with nurses and as we are trialing the app (VitruCare) used this also.  36 hours in, my body just couldnt take anymore, with pain and loss - blue light ambulance into hospital.  

A&E so much better this time, not that the environment was any different, but the staff were, in so much as they followed the NICE guidelines and cared.  The guy in the next cubical was having a bad reaction to "recreational drugs" and was loud and very 'expressive', not pleasant but bearable.  Platelets have took a huge hit, Hb down but still just in normal but thankfully WCC and neutrofils still in good shape!

Now at home and so delicate, with the plan now to get Gyne involved if it should happen again...

Take care all

Amanda

xx

Cookiepuss

Robin - I got my sleep caps from Amazon as follows.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=chemo+sleep+caps&r...

They are quite thin but perfect for sleeping in.

The Cozy Caps I ordered from a US site but they do have a really good selection and are great quality.

https://www.headcovers.com/headwear/

Rooner999

Thanks cookiepuss.  I have to be honest I am seriously thinking about asking if I can return the wig.  We went shopping for a new car today and when in he showroom I just went bald!  I just can't bear the thought of the wig.  Yes people look at me, and I don't like being centre of attention but its their problem and more about pitty than them thinking 'look at her shes bald'.  My family (in particular my partner and boys) are all happy with the bald look so I think I just need to embrace it.  I am still me and nothing as changed, its just getting over those pittying stares.  I do wear my buff a lot as its cold outside but I think au naturalle is the way forward!

I have bought almond oil fro Holland and Barrett and I am rubbing that in twice a day and washing my hair with Alpecin shampoo in the hope that it will get in the habit of stimulating hair growth.

My partner has been off with me for 5 weeks and he is back to work tomorrow so tomorrow is day 1 of fitness regime.  I am going to go for a short run in the morning, and we are all starting healthy eating tomorrow so that should help me not feel so fat and sluggish.  Got a 3000 word essay to write for my masters and a mountain of marking.  Actually looking forward to day 1 of normality tomorrow. 😉

RobinJ

Thanks Wmj. I am feeling better today. At least I can eat now although still feel weak. Just wondered - where does one get these cotton caps that some of you wear to sleep in? Not looking forward to the hair loss bit!