1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

December Angels 2013

Joanne1973

Re: December Angels 2013

Hi maz, you're doing brilliant. You'll feel better once you've done with the epirubicin. And you'll be half way at last! Good luck, is it on Friday again?

Hope you're ok too seterah, I have my first docetaxel on friday, hoping for fewer side effects!
Love to all other angels xxx
setareh

In hospital having my first hercrption. Tomorrow my first T!
mazbee

Hi,   SJB   I can only imagine how painful your mouth must be but now you have antibiotics you should feel better soon, I hope so, sending encouraging positive thoughts and lots of good luck. 

I have had a painful mouth ulcer this week but clearing now with Difflam mouthwash, nothing like your trouble, It was a first for me. 

I had my review yesterday and having my 4th(and last) Epirubicin on Fri.  Hoping it won't be too bad cos each time has been worse than the last but on the other hand I am learning to cope with diet to help the heartburn (don't want any more meds for that - it made me sick) and must remember to take laxative for constipation and hopeful that the sickness will be less if these things can be controlled better than last time.  Fingers crossed anyway. 

After this time I start the CMF part which consists of 4 sessions each is 2 infusions day 1 and day 8  then 2 weeks off.  I calculate it will be over by early June barring any delays.  They told me the tiredness will be worse so by June I don't think I'll be able to keep my eyes open! 

Love to all and good luck to you who are having treatment soon.

Maz x

SJB

I went to the doctor, and he said it wasn't an abscess, but it was probably caused by gingivitis bacteria, so he has put me on a week's course of antibiotics.

I also got stocked up with medication needed to face next week's first dose of taxotere.

Here's hoping nothing else knocks me back before then as I am struggling to keep positive at the moment.

Ro21

Get it checked out Sue, sounds like an abscess to me x
Barbie40

SJB it sounds like you need a trip to the doctor for some anti biotics before it gets worse.

X
Petal88

Ironclads was autocorrect for "it clears"
Petal88

How painful. I would say go to the doctor as it sounds like you need antibiotics. He can always tell you to go to the dentist as well. Hope ironclads up quickly for you.
SJB

Got a new side effect developed since yesterday morning - a large swollen blister on my gum directly under my molars. Very sore. I seem to have really suffered with side effects in my mouth. I was actually thinking I had got away with having mouth ulcers this time round, but I don't know what to make of this.

Does anyone know what it is likely to be? I've never had any kind of blister inside my mouth before, and just tried googling it but couldn't get a satisfactory answer.

Will I need to see my GP or dentist to treat it?

I've been using my Corsodyl mouthwash and Difflam spray to prevent the mouth ulcers, but still this thing has appeared, so they don't seem to help it...any ideas? I can't chew anything, so back on porridge and soup. Woman Sad

Petal88

I've been on Taxotere all the time and yes, I do have various aches and pains especially in my feet but I don't need more than paracetamol. I have been told the breathlessness is because the red blood cells are now low, and they are the ones that take oxygen around the body, which is why I may need a transfusion.

The cancer nurse also told me that sometimes there will be odd pains that are quite sharp and this is usually from nerves being affected. When things hurt I like to imagine it is the cancer being zapped! Hopefully it won't be as bad as you fear. I've always been glad I'm not on FEC like most of you as that seems to make you sick and Taxotere hasn't done that to me. All the best.
Ro21

Hiya Sue, sending big hugs to cheer u up, hope your ok.

I'm currently using co-codomol and ibuprofen together every 4hrs & feeling loads better than I did last last week when I had paracetamol & ibuprofen alternately every 2hrs. Don't know if it's the change in dosage or because it's now day 8 after T but difference is massive. Mine are tablet tho not soluble.

We have to just let the chemo do it's stuff don't we & if we can't do housework etc, well it's not the end of the world, put your feet up & do nice things for u til it passes. I was also worried about the chest pains but was advised it was a good sign if the pain was there or in the lower back as it indicated cell production.
SJB

I'm now on day 13 post FEC#3, and starting to really get down.

I have no energy. If I go for a short walk, or do a little housework, I am so out of breath, and the last couple of days, I have had a sharp pain in my chest (heart???) whenever I exert myself at all.

I should be pretty much back to normal by now, but I'm still shuffling round like someone 30 years older than myself. It's not fair.

Also, am I right in thinking that I should stock up on co-codomol and ibuprofen ready for the taxotere, which I start on Wed 19th? My doctor doesn't prescribe soluble of either of those, which I need, so I was going to buy Solpadeine Plus and Nurofen Express, when I can get to Boots. So looking forward to this next exciting stage - not!

Petal88

Thank you SJB and Mel for being so encouraging. Onward and upward!
Bean14

Petal, hope the antibiotics work soon, I've just finished mine. I was borderline anaemic so I got away without any transfusion this time. It really sounds like we have experienced similar side effects but yours are worse than mine.

I don't need any scans as I'm having this post surgery. I had a bilateral mastectomy with implant recon ( they didn't think I'd need chemo but I had 3 +ve nodes). Hope your scan shows a real improvement and that will spur you on through the last 3.

#4 on the 19th so I'm a day behind you!

Might be worth investigating a line like SJB says. I have a Hickman line and it makes things so much easier for bloods and treatment.

Good luck

Mel x

SJB

Petal88, I had a PICC line fitted right at the start. It is a godsend. It doesn't hurt at all to be fitted, though i chose not to watch!

Once it has been fitted, they wrap it up, pad it, and cover it with a breathing sticky tape so it can't be knocked or damaged, and you have a roll of tubular gauze which you cut to length to cover it under your clothes. It has to be flushed and redressed weekly - some go to hospital to have this done, but i have a district nurse visit me at home.

In the chemo ward, they can use the PICC to take blood samples, but if you go to the routine blood test department, the still take blood from under the inside of the elbow, below the PICC.

Personally, I would recommend having one fitted to anyone going through chemo. You go through enough without ending up with sore backs of hands or arms where they slowly destroy your veins with all the canulas. It's much quicker and easier to have your PICC unwrapped and plugged in each time.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. x

Petal88

Hi, thanks for your quick response. Yes, indeed, I am on the same chemo except that I have Herceptin as well. I may also have to have a transfusion as I am borderline anaemic and am certainly very shaky and more tired each time. I don't have thrush (poor you) but just get raw when neutropenic which stings like mad but, as I said, it does clear up quickly once the cell count improves. I am still a bit worried as my temperature is up and down all the time though thankfully not quite at the level where I have to phone the hospital again. I'm still on two types of oral antibiotics so I am desperately hoping it settles down soon.

Have you had an ultrasound or anything to see how things are now we've had 3 lots of chemo? I want to know what the surgeon will have to say on Thursday though I think I will be nervous. Have you already had your surgery?

Good luck with chemo 4. Mine's on the 18th. Petal x
Bean14

Petal, I've been having similar problems to you. We are both on the same chemo ? Docetaxel and carboplatin). I've just spent 3 nights in hospital with neutropenia too. This was after my third cycle but I think I was probably neutropenic after the first 2 but stubbornly carried on.
The thrush is a nightmare but my hospital have put me permanently on a high dose of fluconazole. It really has helped.
Hoping they reduce my dose next time.
Petal I hope they sort things out for you too, I'm sure with the right dose and some good meds it'll be easier for the last few.

Mel x

Petal88

Not heard of cysts forming after chemo - always something else to look out for. Presumably not a huge problem? Hope it is comfortable now it has been drained. I'm having vein problems now as well, especially as I keep going into hospital and having more and more blood tests and cannulas. With only one arm allowed to be used it is somewhat limiting. A line was mentioned the other day. Has anyone else got one?

I've been calling myself Mrs. Tiggywinkle as what hair I have is spiky too!

Another SE not usually mentioned is that when I am neutropenic and the mouth ulcers appear as if by magic, I also get very sore all around my "delicate bits" (similar skin to inside the mouth). Just thought I would say about it in case others get the same and worry about it. As soon as my white cell count picks up the ulcers and sore bits heal very quickly. They don't warn you about everything, do they?

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Bas_B

Hi everyone, 

Third Fec 10 days ago.   Anyone else had cysts in their good boob?  I found lump on Monday, phoned the BCN who got me into the clinic Tuesday where the surgeon confirmed it was a cyst and drained it for me.

Just thought I'd let you know that cysts appear to be quite common according to surgeon as the chemo plays havoc with hormones.

Definitely feel more tired after this treatment and I am also experiencing bruising and cording in left arm where chemo administered (so now have cording in both arms),  Still count myself lucky on the SE's though,  so far nausia and tiredness but not actually sick.  Got quite a lot of hair really and look like hedgehog with spikey bits on head, helps the beanie hats stay on though as acts like velcro!

Sending you all big hugs on your journies.(((())))

Jx

Petal88

Thanks for the good wishes. Home from hospital again now after 3 nights this time. Absolutely shattered but pleased to be able to start tasting food again rather than everything being incredibly bitter. At least they could check out my puffy ankles (they aren't worried) and rehydrate me as well so there were some positives. There are a lot of sad cases on the wards too so I am trying even harder to not dread the next session but look forward to the end of it all. I do also appreciate that my chemo cocktail may knock me for 6 each time but (fingers crossed) hasn't made me sick. Love and best wishes to all.
wyn

excellent news SJB its great to get a little confidence booster.hope tax se.s are minimal.

Petal hope you are recovering and get out of hospital soon, maybe they will reduce your future doses so that this doesnt happen again.take care

sending hugs to everyone

Wyn x

SJB

Just got back from my ultrasound scan. The tumour is slightly smaller, flatter and softer (exactly what I thought) and the lymph nodes in my armpit are also less swollen. This is exactly what i thought would be the case. i am so pleased as it proves I am in very safe hands and everything I am being told should happen is happening.

Feeling very confident about moving onto Taxotere chemo in a couple of weeks now.

SJB

I've had my three FEC sessions now and will start my three Taxotere sessions in a couple of weeks. I go for an ultrasound scan tomorrow (Thursday) to see how things are going.

Feeling very optimistic. I know FEC softens the tumour and Taxotere reduces it. Well, my 5cm tumour had felt like a solid egg or golf ball before all this started, and now it feels really soft. so i reckon everything is going to plan.

I do feel a little guilty that my side effects seem less severe than other people's, but I just wanted to remind everyone why we're doing this - it's all worth it!

Petal88

Thanks for all replies. In hospital and neutropenic again despite daily injections. Hope to feel better soon but will miss appointment with surgeon tomorrow but at least he can decide what the ultrasound means. Petalxx
wyn

thanks Ros21 and Maz for your kind thoughts. My chemo has been brought forward to tomorrow as they have overbooked on friday but at least it will be over sooner. this will be my second tax as they only gave me 2 fec and decided to move me to tax earlier, the side effects from last one was really bad but I have heard from other ladies in unit they went through the same but it gets easier after first, Fingers crossedx

hugs to anyone at the chemo bar  this week and hope all se's are minimum and for anyone who is having a difficult  day/week

Love

Wyn x

Ro21

No Maz you were so right to persevere and get things checked out. I've always been really healthy (apart from well controlled high blood pressure since my 20's) and I umm'd and arhh'd when I found a lump putting off going to the doctors prob coz I knew I'd be called for a mammogram when I hit 50 a few months later. So glad I was called in for one early as by the time operated on it had spread to 12 of my 16 lymph nodes- got much further it would have been circulating & you never know where it would have ended up, bones, brain, lungs. Completely changed my attitude now, especially after my sister died in December as well so going to do everything I possibly can to make sure it doesn't come back. Learning a lot about food & nutrition, thought I had a good diet but really anti any processed food now there's too much rubbish in it.

Hope your out of hospital soon, stay strong x
mazbee

Sending good thoughts to anyone under the weather this week.  Good luck on Friday Wyn, and hope you are still feeling ok Ro after Monday?

Petal I hope you are felling better, it was good news your tumour shrunk so surely the chemo will be attacking the under arm cancer cells too.  You were surely right to insist they checked.  I went into this whole thing because I went to Dr with a very slight puckering of skin on my breast which was only noticable when I raised my arm and the dr didn't think it was anything to worry about but sent me to hospital.  The dr at hospital sent me for a mammogramm and that didn't show much at all so I had ultasound and they found 2 tumours and I ended up with a mastectomy!  Got over that and thought I would be ok by Christmas never dreaming I would have chemo. which, when I was told the odds of cancer returning, was obviously needed.  I sometimes wonder why I've put myself through all this as I could be just as I was knowing nothing but I suppose It would have caught up with me eventually.  What a ride.

thinking of you all xxxxx

Maz

Ro21

Evening Angels,

Wyn please don't worry about "T", I know everyone's experience is different but I've found my 1st "T" yesterday better than the "FEC"!! I think the extra steroids or maybe the different anti sickness IV drug has probably lessened the side effects I've previously had ( mucus taste in mouth, churning stomach, heartburn etc). My problem was inability to sleep Sunday night made me very tired on Monday but was ok last night.

Petal - really pleased your tumour has shrunk, I'm sure the chemo will have had a similar effect on the lymph node as well,

Maz - good to hear you are having a better week, like u say "one day at a time" - we have to take the rough with the smooth, every day is one day nearer the end of our treatment.

Kaz - hope your feeling a bit better

Love and hugs to you all❤️ x
wyn

Hi Petal,

My oncologist told me swollen ankles,hands and puffy face are side effects of taxotere. I have also lost my taste buds as everything tastes horrible but I continue to eat it anyway lol. I know its hard sometimes to stay positive but we are only human and have days when we are feeling very low. We are all behind you to pick you up and help you face another day XXx

Its great that your tumour has shrunk, if chemo has done this to your tumour then it will be mopping up the cancer cells under your arm as well. I wont say don't worry because we all do but i am sure you are getting the best treatment to blast it.

I am scheduled to have 4th chemo on Friday (Tax) and  not looking forward to it but it has to be done.

Seding hugs

Wyn x

Petal88

Yes, thanks, I asked the cancer nurse today about my ankles swelling and it is a side effect of my type of chemo. I must make sure I raise my feet when I sit. I still have a lot of pain in my feet and ankles and feel really grotty especially as I don't want to eat or drink as everything is very bitter. I hope this phase passes again soon but things do seem to last a bit longer each time. I had my ultrasound this afternoon and should be feeling good as the tumour in the breast has definitely shrunk but somehow I feel flat because the cancer still shows under my arm and the doctor confirmed that they nearly missed it there in the first place and it was only because I insisted I was sore that they checked for it. I don't have the confidence now that it will all go. Sorry, I know I should stay positive but sometimes that is hard.
mazbee

Thanks  for your encouraging replies to my moan last week.  I've had more sickness over the weekend but now on Day 11 and feeling better at last!

Joanne, CMF is cyclophosphamide, methotrexate and fluorouracil (5FU).  I think I will try gaviscon next time round for heartburn although I have been eating just very bland food (living mostly on potatoes in various forms, no appetite anyway) and this helped stopped heartburn.  I hope your tonsillitis is not too bad and soon goes away..

Mel,  thank you for letting me me know your experience of CMF,  it does sound  it may possibly not be so bad but know I must remain open minded of SEs.  If my hair starts to grow back that would be great so when I return to work hopefully in June I may even have a slight covering?  We'll see.

Petal,  The positive postings from others are a real boost, Did you get someone to look at your swollen ankles?  Hope they have improved and not causing too much grief.

One day at time, each step closer to the end.

Sending many more positive vibes to everyone and hope, like me,  you're having a better week ready with renewed vigour (!) for next time.

Maz xx

setareh

It seems my social life is around doctors and hospitals. Went to hospital with throat infection and found out I  broke my little toe ( not because of chemo) 😞 penicillin and more hospital appointments this week

Take care everyone, we don't need more problems

Ro thinking of you tomorrow. Hope everything goes well with T 

Petal88

Oh yes! It is an emotional as well as physical roller coaster. That is why this forum is so helpful what ever stage you are at. I am told I sound positive and well especially on the phone but no one sees me at home alone and frightened. I'm getting better at telling myself I got through last session so I will get through this one but the SEs do seem to increase. Every day you manage is one step closer to the end of treatment. Good luck!
Barbie40

Kaz16 I hope you get the emend it is brilliant. Keep your chin up you'll soon have #3 then you'll be halfway x

Ro21 I know what you mean about people saying how well you look. I get it n I just wanna scream n say I feel like absolute s**t. Oh and another thing some people say is how positive n upbeat I am. Do they really want me to just sit n cry all day!!! X

Is anyone suffering with mood swings due to all this treatment? X
Kaz16

Evening Angels
Sorry that some of us are having a hard time , I have been feeling a bit down too it just seems a long time till the spring ! Fed up with all the rain but it would be far worst if we were slipping and sliding in snow and couldn't get out at all .
I have found FEC 2 harder, I have suffered with gut problems , nausea and sore mouth I am begging for Emead next time . I am now on day 11 and woke up this morning and felt so much better , it is like a bubble has burst , I think it is because I stop injecting and raking so many pills, anyone else feel like that ?
Spring seems a long way off but we will all help each other to get there , I am visualising myself sat in the garden with the sun on my back.(with a little bit of hair )

Love to all the Angels x
Ro21

Sorry to hear some of you are suffering, I've found FEC #3 more difficult but once again been quite fortunate with SE. Looking forward to T#1 on Monday seeing as the sooner it's here the nearer I am to #3 and the end of chemo!!!!

Just read on another thread "this is a chapter not the whole book" which I thought was quite true. Can't wait to move on to the next chapter tho' coz I'm getting a bit tired of this cancer business & everyone asking how I am or saying I look really well.

Hope you're all feeling better soon ❤️X
setareh

Oh no Joanne and petal, hope you're getting better soon! Thinking of you x

I've got a cold and lying on sofa watching tv. 

Hope next week we all are well and can do something nice. The word hope is part of my prescription

Joanne1973

Hi setareh im not too bad this cycle thanks. Have tonsillitis so on penicillin. Chemo is the gift that keeps giving! Im sure it is hard been alone but hopefully now you'll have loved ones to reach out to when needed. X

Hi petal my whole body aches this time. Arms shoulders legs, and my skin is tender too! Not had swollen ankles though might be an idea to have your gp check them out.

We're getting there ladies xxxx

Petal88

Family support definitely helps but there are many lonely times too and why is it always evenings and weekends that worries happen? Last night my ankles started to swell and they ached all night. I do know I had aches and pains for a day or so at the same stage last time (day4) so I am telling myself it will pass but each session seems to induce more SEs. Anyone else had the same?
setareh

Thanks Joanne. How are you doing?

The last few months I felt so lonely but now I have my family to support me. Hope you all have someone to care for you. It's not easy time and boring to be alone at home...

Joanne1973

Aww well done setareh, its tough telling those closest to us. X
setareh

Hi ladies,  finally I told my family about my illness!  The most difficult part but I'm glad I told them 

Petal88

Hope you are feeling a little better today Maz. This is such an up and down road. I haven't had surgery yet so have that to "look forward to" and wonder how much strength I'll have left after chemo to face it. Still a long road ahead for many if us, I feel, and I take a lot of comfort in being able to chat on here. Never worry if you sound down, it is bound to happen from time to time and keeping checking because it is always nice to see positive postings from others who understand. We WILL get there!
Bean14

Maz, sort to hear you are feeling down about things. It is hard on the first week after treatment. I often have a little cry about it all - feeling unfeminine and out of control. I've had CMF about 10 years ago and compared to epirubicin it's not bad. Your hair might even start to grow back and the se's aren't too bad - it's not as bad on your veins.

Although you've got 1 or 2 more sessions than most of us, you're getting good treatment. And all us angels will be here to spur you on.

You're doing great 🙂 x

Mel x

Joanne1973

So sorry you're feeling so rubbish maz. 1 more horrid epirubicin and then can you class yourself as half-ish?? What drugs are the cmf? I find the heartburn tablets can upset my stomach a bit too, I sometimes just take a bit of gaviscon instead. And you're not moaning so no need to apologise! Its all a bit rubbish isn't it. But you really are getting there. April, may or even june, whenever its finished, it'll be done and we can all look back and ...well not laugh ...but can look back and say thank **** thats done (insert suitable word as appropriate! ).
Bury yourself under the your duvet, cry, feel sorry for yourself, sleep..you'll emerge shortly and feel better ready to tackle the next one.
Sending you lots of love and anti-feeling-rubbish positive feelings xxxx
mazbee

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I posted on here, been feeling a bit rough after my 3rd epirubicin last Fri.  Reading your posts is encouraging and inspiring cos although you have some horrible problems, so it seems to me, you keep going and being positive.  I am rather disappointed that no one seems to be on E-CMF which is what I am on and having just completed my 3rd 'E'  my friends are saying 'half way there, 3 more to go'  Most of you seem to be saying the same and talk about finishing in April.  I am feeling sorry for myself as I have 1 more Epirubicin and then 3 or 4 CMF each one having 2 sessions so I can't see an end of it till something like end of May.  Still I know I should take one step at a time.  I always feel bad on day 3 till day 7 or 8 after treatment.  Last time I had heartburn something awful so was given tablets for it but they have upset my stomach and I was vomiting yesterday morning and stayed in bed for the afternoon feeling grotty.  Today I am a bit better as I've decided not to take the tablets and suffer with the heartburn if necessary.

Sorry I'm a bit glum, the whole thing got to me this week, sickness, feeling mutilated and no hair to boot!  I do feel better today and will pull myself together.  Please excuse the moan!

Thanks for reading this and well done to you all

Maz x

wyn

Hi Petal,  thank you so much for asking, yes I am feeling back to normal (as normal as can be) still a bit tired. I have come to the conclusion that the se's last approx 9-10 days on tax and although horrible there is light at the end of the tunnel, I think we are all halfway there which is a good feeling.

Thats great news your consultant is happy with under your arm and I hope your ultrasound give you good news as well. Take things easy i think we all try to do more than we should.On a positive note I got results yesterday from genetics and I Do Not carry the BCRA genes which means I will be getting a WLE instead of bilateral mastectomy and oopherectomy,hooray, i was dreading it.

Take care everyone and give yourselves a pat on the back for getting this far on this horrible journey.

Sending hugs

Wyn x

setareh

Hi Petal, great news about the lymph nodes, very encouraging. I'm so happy for you 🙂 I had one lymph node involed but it seems it disappeared too 🙂 hope your test results will be good. Chemo is not pleasant but yayyyyy we're getting better!!!

Love to all December Angels

Petal88

Hi Wyn. Hope you are feeling a bit better now. SEs vary so much and I read on here that people on FEC suffer far more sickness than I have so I feel lucky to be on TCH even if it is so strong it made me neutropenic. I am on day 3 of 3rd session and this time am going to have the jabs for 5days, starting at the weekend, to try and prevent it happening again. Am quite shaky but think this may be because I am still on the steroids for a couple of days. I saw the chemo consultant pre-session and he said under my arm felt good so I am hopeful the lymph nodes have been zapped. I never did have a lump to feel in the breast which is why I had so many biopsies as the tumour and malignant calcification only showed under ultrasound. It will be interesting to find out the results of my ultrasound next Monday.
Good luck to all at this halfway mark and, as ever, thanks for all the posts as it stops me feeling so alone.
setareh

thinking of you all who has fec3 today. My third one was much easier!