cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

December Angels 2013

wyn

Re: December Angels 2013

hi sarahmummy,

meant to say bicarbonate to be used 4 times a day and chemo nurse gave it to me a they have been giving it out to patients. I think we are pretty similar being triple negative and having chemo first,

I am NHS patient and think my oncologist is very good.despite him saying good response but wanted to optimise this by moving me to tax earlier. He said the good thing about neo-adjuvant therapy is they can see how chemo is working and if they feel changing the plan will improve your outcome then thats what they will do.(chemo nurse described it like having an antibiotic for an infection that isnt clearing as quickly as it should so they prescribe a stronger antibiotic to finish the job).

Have you had your MRI yet to check effects of chemo, i had mine about 9days after 2nd fec and they plan to do another prob after 2nd tax. will keep you posted.

Ro21

I too have not had any bother with mouch ulcers yet thankfully but think i will try bicarbonate as preventative method.Hope you 3rd fec went well and side effects minimal,must be good feeling to be halfway there.

Petal  sorry to hear you ended up in hosp, hopefully you will be sorted soon and able to go home, always listen to your body and if you dont feel good dont leave it too long before getting help, sending you hugs x

steroids they gave me to start yesterday for 3 days (4 twice a day)much more than ones on fec and they  are stronger so i have only had two hrs sleep 😞  now getting myself prepared for first tax today need to drink lots of water as they struggled to get cannula in last time due do veins not being good)

sending hugs to everyone

Wyn X

Sarahmummy

Wow Wynn what an information loaded message I have taken so much from that. I sit here now with a mouth of ulcers so bicarbonate .....I am planned for 3fec and 3 tax so now feel I want to ask those same questions when I see my oncologist before I do number 3 FEC. Can I ask are you private or nhl as I am MHz and don't feel that kind of attention is there right now ......in terms of shrinkage expectations and then to mention Vicks on nails .......mine are crabby right now so off to shops for Vicks and bicarbonate tomorrow ....Thankyou as my mouth is driving me mad xxxxxx
Ro21

Oh Petal sorry to hear your in hospital but it really is the best place for them to sort it out.

Wynn thanks for the tips, been lucky as not had ulcers ( use cordysill daily) but will try the VICKS as I used to bite my nails but been growing really well while on the FEC don't reality want the T to ruin it lol.

Hope all u Angels in hospital get better soon ❤️
Petal88

Writing from my hospital bed . Temperature spiking at 39 and won't stay down so feeling rough. Mouthful of ulcers and sore gland in neck so they may be the cause of infection. Started on injections to try and boost cells. Next session they will try injections earlier to try and stop this happening. Always something different! Knowing others have had similar and come through it helps.
Guest user
Not applicable

I am on Facebook yes, but being a real technophobe it's taken me ages to figure it out so anything I need to do will have to be explicitly written down. Thank you for your welcome. Still very sick and throat ulcers are coming back but I feel stronger in myself today and my brain seems to be functioning again. Hurray! Jacquie x
wyn

Hi Ladies,

i was supposed to have my 3rd fec yesterday but when i saw oncologist he said results of my mri scan on 6th jan(to see effects of chemo) showed a good response and tumour shrinking but not as much as he would have liked so he wanted to optimise this by changing me on to tax sooner, so will be getting tax tomorrow. instead of 3 fec +3tax its now 2fec+4tax.so hopefully i get better results with tax although not looking forward to it.

a couple of tips i picked up in chemo unit was bicarbonate of soda to prevent mouth ulcers (apparently lots of patients are using it) mix one teaspoon in glass of water.

another was to rub vicks vapour rub on nails to protect them, one of the patients showed me her nails and they were absolutely beautiful so think i will give them a try.

sending hugs

Wyn x

Joanne1973

Hi jae sorry to hear you're struggling with the chemo. How many are you having? You've got two under your belt now, the end of chemo may still seem a way off but the end is now on sight. I've been in and out of hospital with nausea and vomiting. Take it just one cycle at a time. Try to keep strong, you're in the right place.
Sending you lots of love xxxx
marion3

Hi JAE hope you are starting to feel a bit better. A few of us here have been neutropenic including myself I also had a hospital stay. You will feel a lot better after the antibiotics. Take care xx
SJB

I was rushed into hospital with an infection on Boxing Day! Luckily, i responded to the antibiotics very quickly and came home the next evening.

It's such a rollercoaster. Yonu have come to the right place. If you pm me a link to your Facebook page, I'll set you up over there as well. There are other young women in our group, and one that has 4 children, the oldest of which is 7, i think, so you will find plenty to talk about.

We're all here for each other. We will help you through this. x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi am new to this forum. I started chemo in December following diagnosis of breast cancer during my pregnancy. My 1st chemo was hard suffered badly with nausea and vomiting. 2nd chemo nausea and vomiting controlled with new medication but suffered with fatigue. Started to finally get over the fatigue and was rushed Into hospital last night. I Was diagnosed with neutropenic sepsis. I am being pumped full of antibiotics as I write this. I am really struggling with chemo and I am hoping to find support from you lovely ladies. I really need a pick me up.
Bellablue1

Hi jemp0812

Thanks for your feedback. It's good to hear about other ladies that have had an implant following mx. Once I am through chemo I will know more about radio and my implant.

Fec day 7 and feeling relatively good so far. Eating lots of spinAch and dark leafy veg, beginning to feel like popie! Luv jacx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

I finished chemo FEC t in November. Didnt get mouth ulcers cause I took Corsodyl mouth wash and toothpaste. Didnt lose more that two toe nails because I used dark red nail varnish. All recommended to me.

Sick yes horrible and still is. My taste buds went and food tasted well awful. including drink. Eat what you fancy and drink what you fancy doesnt matter if your picky.

Now on Anastrozole and have terrible wrist pains. Want to come off. Anyone have the same symptons please.

It is hard but try and try. You will get through.

SJB

Hello Jemp. Of course you qualify to join our little group. Welcome. x

I got mouth ulcers a week after my first FEC treatment. It is now a week since my second, and I have them again. But thankfully I have lots of meds, and have already reduced the inflammation with Corsodyl mouthwash, which is brilliant stuff.

I was definitely knocked off my feet more with the second dose, but still you should find your energy returning after today. My second dose was last wednesday, and i feel great again now, other than those mouth ulcers!

I have been so lucky in that I have not had any sickness as yet. i got in loads of different ginger things in advance and haven't needed them. I found that I could no longer enjoy my cups of tea (my normal drink) and fruit infusions (another regular of mine) as they now tasted disgusting. But I am drinking  a,lot of coffee or hot chocolate, it's just that now i need 2 big sugars in coffee, where i didn't before. chemo is a funny thing!

So, I'll just ask if you are on facebook? don't worry if you're not, but we do have a private group page there where we can show each other photos and chat a bit more freely than here. this forum is still very important to us, but we have a little more freedom to chat about anything there. If you would like to join, send me a private message so we can organise it. x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone. I started FEC on 20 December so I hope I can be a December Angel. First treatment day one my thoughts were "Well this isint so bad". Day two changed my mind but it was bearable, mainly nausea and tiredness. I did develop throat ulcers 5 days later but was given meds to sort that out. Rest of time I could feel myself coming back to normality and then the second treatment of FEC has wiped me out. I've been exhausted, sick, no ulcers thank goodness but finally am pulling through thanks to the staff at our local hospital who have been thoroughly amazing and ringing me every day to see how I am. I'm hoping that my next treatment on 31st will be better so have been looking up ways to try and stop sickness apart from meds. So far apart from ginger nothing else helps. Anyone any ideas? Bellablue 1 a close friend of mine is going through the implant radio treatment thing too and she has decided to go ahead as she says if u don't try how will u know. I'm sure it's a difficult decision for you to make as it has been for her. She can't tolerate long surgeries so this is her best option. I hope you advise from someone better qualified than me as I know how scary all of this is. Good luck.
Ro21

Glad your feeling a bit better Petal, it's hard to lie down n take it easy but that's what we need to do to give our bodies the best chance to heal itself. It is scary though when u don't know if your SE is serious or not, always err on the side of caution n tell the professional they know best.

Well done Kaz for going back to work, I can't cope with all the stress n politics there at the moment so there's going to be a case conference between my boss & ATOS. Never had a day off sick in the 7 years I've been there prior to the day of my mastectomy so feel very let down

Stay strong ladies it's not easy but it's doing us good x
Kaz16

Horray managed to get back to work today and it felt good. I think I shed a few hairs around the building which made me chuckle. Think you have to look at the funny side of this sometimes even though it is so tough . Love to everyone
SJB

I think the hardest part is forcing yourself not to try to do anything. The fatigue does pass and then you can take advantage of the good times, but for those few days after each chemo session, you must rest. Compulsory.

So glad you're feeling brighter. We are all going to get there. x

Petal88

Couldn't have got through yesterday without you guys so thanks again. I'm feeling a bit more stable today but still taking it very easy. Had a visit from the nurse today and she says I'm actually doing ok even if it doesn't feel like it. Take care all of you.
Jo_BCC

Hi Kaz16

Sorry to hear the chemo isn't treating you very well.  I have put you the link below to a thread which has been running for a number of years now 'Top tips to help you through chemo', if you go to the first page there is a recipe there for 'go cake' which a lot of users have found very good at combatting the constipation problems.  I hope it helps for you.

https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy/Top-tips-to-help-get-you-through-Chemotherapy/...

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Kaz16

Hello Angels
Sorry to hear you're not feeling so good Petal as everyone says get it checked out.
Hope everyone has a good week, I am day 14 of FEC 1 and apart from loss of appetite and horrid constipation I haven't felt too bad. I am seeing my GP tomorrow to get signed back onto work for a week before my next dose .Unfortunately I have developed a sore throat so I suppose that I better tell him
mean while keeping an eye on my temperature, I just want a bit of normality for a week !
Joanne1973

Hi petal, I agree about getting your gp out to check your bloods. In the meantime, get yourself tucked up in bed or on the sofa, surround yourself with drinks and snacks and just relax, snooze, sleep. If your bloods aren't low then you know this will pass in a day or two. Don't feel guilty about resting becsuse you need to. If your bloods are low then you might need a transfusion.
Keep strong and hang in there, you are doing brilliantly xxxxx
Petal88

Thanks SJB and Wyn for your very prompt posts. It helps so much to not feel isolated. I will stay in bed this morning and I will bear in mind asking for help. I did have a blood test on Friday and it's the community cancer nurse who will come tomorrow so I'll ask her advice. It's always hard at the weekend, isn't it? At least I know if I feel wobbly I need to lie down quickly and put my feet higher than my head. Apparently I go as white as a sheet for a few minutes but recover when horizontal. Last time I had a night in hospital and I really don't want to go there again and one positive is that my temperature seems more stable this time so I will take heart from that. Many thanks again for being there.
wyn

Hi petal88,

sorry to hear you are feeling poorly, you shouldnt have to wait until tomorrow to see bc nurse, it may be your bloods are low if you feel you are passing out and very tired,Please contact out of hours or gp to arrange a home visit they may be able to prescribe something to get you through next few days.please dont suffer in silence on your own.ask for help.

sending hugs

Wyn x

SJB

Don't feel guilty, Petal. You really do need to rest. Don't feel ashamed to stay in bed or rest on the sofa. It really does take it out of you. I have been hopeless since my last dose of FEC on wednesday. If your family have gone now, just don't worry about the mess - there's no one to see it.

Try to stay in bed as long as possible today. Staying horizontal will help. Don't panic, you're doing fine. And remember, if it's all making you feel this bad, remember that it's also zapping that cancer!
Petal88

Going through a bad patch, could do with some encouragement. First few days seemed good then it all hit and now in panic mode again as I kept nearly passing out yesterday and had to lie down lots. I've had family staying but they've gone home and I am worried being on my own again which doesn't help. At least the cancer nurse is to call tomorrow so I can talk to her. My hair his taking forever to come out completely and is all over the house but I am too tired to clean up. I know this is the same time that I felt bad before so I am telling myself to get through the next few days and I WILL feel more normal again. I feel a little alone because you all seem to have FEC with different SEs. Sorry to moan, I will try and buck up soon.
wyn

thanks Ro21, I did shave head as soon as hair started to come out so maybe your right about chemo not killing off all follicles, here's hoping it continues to grow as i am not exactly comfortable with my wig.

Good luck on monday for your third fec.I am only 2 days behind you and its a good feeling to be almost halfway through with dooable se's.

sending hugs

Wyn

setareh

Hi angels 🙂 sorry I haven't been in touch. I don't have Internet at the moment. Now I'm using my phone, its very slow. Just wanted to say hi and see how you are. Miss you all. Glad to see you're all doing ok. I'm ok too. Second chemo was easier but felt more tired this time. I've got a wig but don't know how to use it! Might start practicing tomorrow 🙂
Take care everyone x
Ro21

Hi Wyn
I'm on FEC-T # 2 day 20. No regrowth as yet, expected remainder of my head hair to come out at the same stage in the cycle that came out after #1 but not happened so can't figure it out.

Unless maybe you shaved your head and not all the hair follicles have been killed off by the chemo. Maybe they are the ones growing & not the ones the chemo affected?????

Glad to hear people doing ok & coping with SE after Cycle 2, I have been so fortunate to only have minor SE, in fact looking at hubby, sister 2 & sister in law with all their coughs & colds I still think I'm the healthiest of the lot of them (now my cancers been cut out) lol. stay strong peeps, we can beat this x😊😊😊😊
wyn

hi folks,

its been a couple of weeks since last here so thought I would give you an update. day 16 post fec 2.

feeling quite well today but felt the se's were a bit more intense this time including aches and pains in limbs and lower back along with increased tiredness but its a small price to pay to get your life back.

went for MRI on 6th and have appointment with oncologist on 15th (prior to 3rd fec) to get results, this is to see what effect the chemo has on tumour (fingers crossed its shrinking),. I also have regrowth of hair and had to shave legs today (annoyingly)lol, has anyone else experienced hair growth since starting chemo

sending hugs

Wyn

Jonamo

Hi, I got a sort of bruised feeling in my shoulder, arms and thighs, around day 5. Only lasted a couple days.
A x
SJB

I had my second FEC yesterday. No nausea so far, a little tiredness, and moving quite slowly, so just resting watching TV. Appetite is good. Slept fairly well considering the steroids.

Hoping it stays this easy, but I know I'll get more tired before it gets better.

Bellablue1

Hi ladies

I had my second FEC yesterday, thankfully so far no sickness although much more tired than the last time.
Not much appetite at the minute, just resting and drinking lots of water.
I hope everyone is feeling better. Luv jacx
Petal88

So far so good after 2nd TCH yesterday which is very encouraging. I felt they thought I was exaggerating the side effect of antihistamine but it made a world of difference to me not to have any. Extra cortisone stopped the drop in BP and all went well. Not sleeping from steroids but only a couple more days of them. Appetite going again as taste not right but managing to drink reasonably well so far. I would say try and pace things even when you feel ok as tiredness can hit hard later. Not so frightened by it all now and I will be having an ultrasound after the next session. Hair rapidly thinning. Hope everyone else staying as upbeat as possible.
Sarahmummy

Hi everyone, it's a roller coaster .......ups and downs but we can do this. I am day 8 2 nd chemo and sometimes full of energy and positivity and then others I can barely want to do anything or pick up the phone if it rings ..... Appetitie is good but my bones and muscles ache today which is new ....anyone else got this? I have sorted out cupboards I haven't looked at since we moved into our house on my high enery moments ...shame I keep wam.walking past the ironing! Wore my new wig yesterday for first time and went out in it today, I kept looking at people wondering if they were looking at me with a wig on ......well done for .2nd chemo today ladies and stay strong. Thinking of u all xx
SJB

I've had my second dose of FEC this afternoon. Feeling good so far. Had a good meal this evening. Now settled in bed, though whether I'll get much sleep or not remains to be seen, as those steroids really seem to keep me awake.

I hope everyone is well, and I'm sorry for those of you that aren't having such an easy time. We are all having our ups and downs. It's really about taking things one day at a time for now. x

Kaz16

Well done to everybody who has just competed their first or second chemo rounds .Thank you to everyone for their up beat responses , it really helps knowing that we can get through this.
I am on FEC 1 day 9 SEs haven't been too bad but I have no appetite what so ever . I am starting to associate lots of things with the chemo which is making me more anxious about the next dose .
I am hoping to go back to work next week which I think will help me .
Bean14

Petal 88 thanks for the reply. I think we are the only ones not having fec.

Just wanted to add how supportive this thread and it's great to know you're not alone as it can feel quite isolating having treatment. All normality goes out the window.

Now we've all had at least one treatment ( with varying SEs) I think we have more idea what it's going to be like. I know some people have had a really tough time but please try to be positive - it's one down and one more step to getting nearer to normality ( whatever that is 🙂 )

So chin up and big hugs to all my fellow angels - off for round 2 later ...gulp!

marion3

Joanne i was the same your not a wuss it's not easy and some people are just more sensitive to the drugs than others my dose was adjusted second time round it wasn't as bad, they also gave me some anti anxiety medication as I like you said no more, couldn't handle it. They helped me so just ask xxx
Ro21

Good luck to Jacx and Sue for tomorrow's chemo 💖💖💖
SJB

No idea. If I were you, I'd ask the breast cancer nurses. That has to be worth a phone call. x

Bas_B

Hi,

I had a skin rash before starting chemo, onc said it was fine to continue and gave me piriton.  I've now got dark pigmentation where the rash was after my first chemo,

Anyone else experienced this and know if the pigmentation will return to normal after the chemo is stopped?

thanks in advance.

Jx

Joanne1973

Thanks all, feeling a little better now I'm home. Slept really well but am just so exhausted, much more than last time.

Hope you're all coping. We can do this 🙂

Xx

Bellablue1

Thanks jonomo for your feedback. I was also given meds for heartburn, I really hope it's not as bad as the first one .❤️👧 jacx
Jonamo

Bellablue,I was given Emend for my second chemo...it definitely stopped the sickness,but I was completely wiped out by the second dose of FEC. Felt rough for at least 8 days. Day 11 now and feeling good.

Joanne1973, so sorry you are having a tough time of it. Hope you get it sorted.

A xx
Petal88

Me again, auto correct changing things. Think I'd better go and calm down, these steroids are definitely affecting me!
Petal88

Sorry got dates muddled, you' be already had session two. Hope you feel better each day and good luck to Jacx for the 8th 😷
Petal88

More positive thoughts winging their way to you Joanne. Hang on in there. I was told they will always try and use alternatives if things don't go to plan. I had pre chemo today and they say they won't give me antihistamine if my BP drops again on Herceptin but will give me steroids. Hope they don't need to as I'll be as high as a kite. I'm already on 4tablets morning and evening today ready for tomorrow. Oh well I will also try and be positive. Good luck on Wednesday.
Bellablue1

Hi
I have just been for pre chemo assessment and have got the anti sickness drug called emend. I really hope it works this time.
Next chemo on the 8th January @ 12.30. Jacx
mazbee

Hi Joanne,

So sorry you're having a rough time of it.  You do usually sound posititive and I'm sure you will do again.  Thinking of you lots and keeping everything crossed for you. Your team will do their best for you.  You are NOT a wuss!

My 2nd time was not as SE free as last time and have been feeling nauseous and delicate but a bit better this pm and I'm telling myself I'll be ok in a day or two.  I have more medication than last time too. 

Love to everyone, it's good to know others understand us.

Maz  x

SJB

Sorry to hear what you're going through, Joanne. You are most definitely NOT a big wuss. Sounds like they need to rethink your regime. Fingers crossed they can come up with an alternative drug or drastically reduce the dose. Put your faith in your oncologist. They are doing their best for you. x