75.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

December Angels 2013

Re: December Angels 2013

Thinking of Kander a lot and wishing her well.

Kander came home last night. Day surgery. She's very sore and has a dressing on her throat. They took biopsies from one mass and 7 enlarged lymph nodes. She has been told it will take about 2 weeks to get the results back from the lab.

Hi Den. Have you been given a V-shaped cushion? They are so useful at this time, as you can position it to keep pressure off the sore area.

hi dec Angels I noticed on your posts some of you had seroma I had rt mastectomy 6/8/14 had seroma drained once prior to chemo breast now swollen but not as much and not sloshy like last time very uncomfortable in bed onc does not recommend draining again I have 3rd lot ec and 3 dox sessions yet any tips how to sleep and ease discomfort would be gratefully received x den

Kander has her op tomorrow (Saturday). They changed their plan again. Now they are going in through her throat to do a biopsy. I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I hear from her.

Thanks for the update SJB. What a nightmare for her. I now know someone else who has a re-occurrence of her breast cancer already and has to have a mastectomy this time.

Good news for you. I'm still sore, hot and swollen and wondering how it will right itself without my lymph nodes. The lymphoedema nurse says she can't teach me the massage until the fluid disperses a bit but the massage is what will do that!

Kander finally had a call from the hospital this evening. You would not believe how much they have messed her about. They have told her she will be having an operation within the next 2 weeks. They are going to open her chest and see exactly what is going on under her sternum. No one seems sure if it is cancer or not, but they have decided to get on and sort it out. I'll keep you informed.

Saw an oncology registrar today. She was realy pleased with my recovery. Gave me a thorough physical examination of my scar, remaining breast, under both arms and both sides of neck. All good. She confirmed that my CT scan was all clear. the "thickening" that they had previously seen in my spine was back to normal, so likely a bruise or something at the time.

She said I'll see an oncologist again in a year's time, and I'll have a mammogram next Spring. So that's the end of my treatment, I guess, apart from Tamoxifen, which is definitely giving me hot flushes! lol

It's a wonderful feeling. Heart

Heehee, c'est moi with all my lovely LGFB cosmetics on! Loving it.

Lovely photo SJB 🙂

xx

Thanks so much SJB, I shall definitely phone them. By the way, the new you looks very glam!

Petal, it's never too late to go to a LGFB workshop. As a cancer patient, you're entitled to be pampered. Go for it!

I wish I had investigated those workshops. I wonder if it is too late? I might enquire.
I saw the lymphoedema nurse yesterday and all is ok on that front so far, which is good news, but she has worried me a bit. The consultant recently didn't seem concerned about my boob still being warm and swollen or the pain still there but the nurse kept saying if it gets worse, hotter, redder, more swollen, or if I feel poorly, then it must take antibiotics immediately. How do I know what level is normal? Has anyone else had a wide excision and radiotherapy and still had the same swelling, heat or pain in the breast for weeks afterwards?

How awful for her, please tell her we all send love and best wishes.

Kander has just told us that she went to see her surgeon today. Apparently the last scan showed that not only were the lymph nodes under her sternum enlarged but also there was "a mass", so he intends to perform major surgery to open her chest up and remove the mass and lymph nodes. She won't know until after the op if it is cancer or not, but it sounds like it is.

She now has to wait for the appointment for the surgery to be performed.

I feel so guilty for feeling so fit and well. She's still only 29 - it's not fair!

Hi SJB

That sounds good - glad you have your appointment through. 

Yes, I went to a LG,FB workshop. They are great, aren't they!  I was still having chemo when I went to mine so found it really helpful when I probably felt at my worst. The goodie bag is amazing!

Hope everyone is doing ok!

Jules xx

I had a good day yesterday. First I got my appointment through for that long-awaited follow-up - Thursday 18th September.

Plus, in the afternoon I went to a "Look Good, Feel Better" afternoon. It was brilliant. Have any of you been to one? I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and came away with a bag full of top quality cosmetics worth about £250. Highly recommend it.

Thanks for that Wyn. I'm going to dig my heels in. I think a phone call to HR or the union might be in order.

You wouldn't want a house full of puppies after about six weeks its utter chaos lol

X

Barbie, That sounds awful your employer expects you to move, I would question it as you will be covered under the Equality Act and they cannot discriminate against you due to disability. Even though active treatment is finished you are still covered whilst you go for check ups over next few years.

You must have your hands full with all those lovely puppies, I just love dogs and there's nothing to beat the puupy dog smell, if I had my way I would have the house full of them lol but just have to settle with my border collie.

Hope everyone is keeping well

Wyn X

Hi

Petal thanks for asking about me. Work is awful I am still quite forgetful which doesn't help things. This week was my first week back full time and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but feel like I have had no ME time to just sit and relax. Was very tired and emotional last night and this morning. I work in customer service face to face so when I get a difficult customer I just fall apart. Have asked my boss if I can drop a day which is fine but will have to relocate to another branch which means further to travel!!!! This is now stressing me out (probably why I was upset last night) just another hurdle to climb. Btw I'm 41 have two teenagers and my dog has just had six puppies so think I'm surviving on lots of red bull.

How are you all coping emotionally as its coming up to a year for most of us from diagnosis. Be good to hear how yous are managing with the anxiety of recurrence?

Best wishes to you lovely ladies x

Hi ladies,

Kaz16 - I think it is just another name for mammogram or similar, I also had lumpectomy and rads and have found my breast hard and uncomfortable, I have also read lots of posts with people having the same and one lady was told by her consultant it could take up to 18months for it to feel normal again after rads. It's just the new norm in all of us now to question and worry about any changes in our bodies but hopefully through time it won't be on the forefront of our minds,

SJB - thanks for update my thoughts are with Kander and hope she gets good news.

Take care everyone and enjoy the weekend

Wyn x

Hello Everyone
I haven't been on here for a while , I can't believe that's its a year since most of us were diagnosed. I have gone back to work full time at my school and I was beginning to put things behind me and feeling like I had moved on. However September. Is bringing back memories and making me feel a bit anxious - strange isn't it ? I have received an appointment today for breast imaging, can anyone tell me if that's the same as a mammogram ? Also has anyone else who has had a lumpectomy and radiotherapy found that following radiotherapy their breast is slightly harder and uncomfortable ? Wishing you all well
Love Kaz 16

Just to let you know that Kander's medical team have decided not to waste further time with another scan and to do a biopsy on those enlarged lymph nodes under her sternum. As explained previously, that needs to be done under a general anaesthetic, and is quite an unpleasant procedure. Poor Kander is so worried - it's her 30th birthday in 4 weeks, and she's terrified of getting bad news just before it.

I'll keep you updated.

Hi Wyn, I'm glad the vertigo is subsiding. Funnily enough I know someone who had chemo at the same time as me and she has suffered with dizziness badly for a few weeks and it was diagnosed as labrynthitis and she has medication which is now helping her.
I was only thinking yesterday that my tastes have changed. I didn't like the taste of anything while on chemo, not even drinking water, so I was pleased when things began to taste ok again but I find I don't particularly want to eat the things that were my favourite foods before treatment. I have gone off some meats especially ham and bacon but love to eat eggs and cheese. I prefer savoury to sweet and have trouble resisting crisps! Luckily I still like fruit and vegetables so I try to snack healthily.
Good luck with the job search. I think we see life with new eyes since being diagnosed and a change sounds like a good idea. I can understand you not wanting to go to the hospital. I still go quite often to mine as I've had physio, Herceptin jabs, with pre chemo every third one, and regular echocardiograms but it isn't the same as knowing you must go in daily. I also understand about panic feelings as I used to get serious panic attacks at one time but I have learnt how to control them. Yoga Nidra works for me as it is basically mind over matter and you concentrate on total relaxation in a way that you forget what is worrying you. I hope you can find what helps you. Petal x

has anyone found their eating habits and cravings etc changed since treatment ?. I used to eat very healthily and cooked everything from scratch, no processed foods etc etc.

Now I can't get enough of high fat and sugary foods, this is so not me but can't stop myself. haha

Wyn x

Hi Ladies,

It's nice to see the thread more active and everyone doing well.

Petal - thanks for asking about me, I mentioned to oncologist about vertigo and she said she wasn't overly concerned but to keep ane eye on it and if it doesnt settle down over two weeks she will arrange a brain scan (scary), however it is now settling down thank goodness.

I had to cancel interview as my balance and co-ordination was all over the place, so maybe wasn't meant to be.

I am still looking for vacancies though as I have come to the conclusion I don't want to return to my old job as I work in the hosp that I received my treatment and every time I go back in there I feel a kind of panic attack. sounds silly but not sure if I can face it.

take care everyone

Wyn x

hi jules, im sorry to read that your arm is not good, at least its nothing sinister though so that is good! i would just say to keep on exercising it as much as you can and ask about the massage technique that a lot of women seem to find very helpfull, i have a cough at the moment and instead of just thinking 'oh ive got a cough' im already worried its something bad, i wonder if i will think like this with every ache and pain i get in the future?good luck with your remaining herceptin treatments x

hi petal, yes im getting hot flushes, i carry a fan in my bag as i get approx 15 a day! i know when im about to get one as my feet start to tingle then the heat just flushes all the way up through my body, i start back to work on monday, i work in a coffee shop so serving customers whilst 'hot flushing' will be fun haha!

sjb, yes i think you are right no news is usually good news so no worries there with the results of your scan,

Hi Petal

Thank you for asking after me too. 

The arm pain is still not good and I had an MRI on Saturday. Got the results this evening and it's wear and tear, rather than anything sinister which was the concern. I am on weekly physio and painkillers and hoping things will improve soon. 

I have also been referred to the lymphoedema clinic next week as I can't get my rings on my right hand. I don't think it's too bad but am keen to get things going there as soon as possible, 

10 Herceptins done now and 8 left. I don't find that particularly easy but only on the day of the infusion. 

Glad to hear about everyone's progress - it's been such a journey and definitely a different life when you start to emerge from the other side!

Best wishes to everyone, Jules xx

Hello Kim, I keep saying I feel like a little old lady (65 going on 95) especially first thing in the morning when my feet and ankles hurt so I know how you feel. I agree we mustn't grumble because we are still alive but, as I said earlier, life has definitely changed. I am quite puffy but one doctor told me that probably isn't the Letrozole but the chemo still in me. Here's hoping it isn't permanent and that I can sort out a programme of exercise at the sports centre that will help. I'm not normally very good at keeping up with exercise but I have made a point of doing the arm ones and they have helped so perhaps I can make myself become a bit fitter altogether. The hot flushes seem to have settled a bit though I do still get some. Do you? I thought I'd finished with those!

Hi Angels

I hope everyone is well.

I had my first mammogram on Friday. I was so scared. I got the results then and there as I had my breast lift operation on Monday 1st September. Everything was good to go.

I had breast lift on Monday but I had post op bleeding so was taken back to theatre for another operation! I've just got home today, feeling really exhausted. I was borderline on having a blood transfusion.

I'm hoping to regain my strength now and start to move forward. The BC nurses did say they send the tissue off for histology . Now I'm worrying about that!

I hope everyone is well.
Lol xx jac

Thanks for asking after me, Petal. I don't yet have another appointment with an oncologist, no, so I haven't had my scan results yet...but I assume no news is good news.

Kander still doesn't know what's happening about her enlarged lymph nodes. She had a PET scan, but there was brown fat in the way, so they couldn't see them properly. Her medical team are discussing her case again this coming Monday to decide whether to do another scan on not - if they do, they'll give her beta-blockers first so they can see through the brown fat. 

I'll update you on both of our situations as soon as I have news.

One lovely bit of news from Kander though - she's only 30 - she just passed her driving test today. 🙂

hi petal

i was wondering how you are getting on with taking letrozole? I find it ok but my lower back is beginning to get very stiff which makes my legs stiff too, i feel like an 90 year old lady sometimes haha, but actually i dont want to complain because hopefully it will give me a better chance of living longer it seems a small price to pay and im very grateful to be offered it x

Hi Angels. Lots going on it seems. SJB, have you a date for scan results? Well done on the weight loss.
Jules, how is your arm? I was signed off from physio this week as I have much better movement now but my right arm is definitely the weaker one whereas it was the stronger one before. I am going to a referral appointment at the local sports centre at the end of next week to see what exercises will help. Are you still in lots of pain? I don't need painkillers any more but my arm is heavy. The lymphoedema clinic wants to teach me the massage soon that will possibly help. Life is not going to be exactly as it was before, is it? Do let us know how you are getting on.
Wyn, what about the vertigo? Did it clear up? And what about the job interview?
Jac, hopefully the operation is all over and you are resting and recovering.
Barbie, how are you now you are working more? I am still so tired at times I don't know how you cope but perhaps you are younger than me!
What a difference this year has made to all of us! Thanks for the support to one and all. Petal xx

Hi Ladies,

SJB - well done for losing that amount of weight since end of chemo.

Jac- Good luck on uplift and mammogram

Jules, sorry to hear you are having problems with arm, hopefully they will get to the bottom of it soon, I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and it turned out I had slipped a disc in my neck and itwas pressing on spinal column causing nerve damage ( cervical radiculopathy), The pain was excrutiating and they tried me on all sorts of painkillers with no help. I was eventually put on amytryptylene and the pain soon settled down, i dont have any bother with it now thankfully.

I have had a little set back as I started taking severe dizzy spells on sunday with pain running down my spine so GP refused to sign me off and advised I tell oncologist tomorrow about vertigo, I am so dissapointed as it has put a spanner in the works, dont think I will be well enough to attend interview now. Lets hope it is just a bout of vertigo and nothing else!!!!!!!!,

Take care everyone

Wyn x

Hi Angels

I haven't posted for a while. I now have a date for my breast lift (1st September) on my good side. I also have a dates for pre op assessment which is tomorrow and mammogram on Friday. I am getting anxious about the mammogram, but I guess I always will. I was contacted by the appointments office a week ago with the date etc I agreed to the date but then realised I needed the mammogram before the op, so I phoned the BC team who arranged the appointment. I thought it took a couple of weeks for the results? So I'm now wondering if they will go ahead with appointment.

My plan is after my operation and recovery I will start to think about a phased return to work.

I hope everyone is doing well.
Lol jac

Hi Ladies

Glad to see everyone is getting on so well. 

I have had such problems since finishing radio with ridiculous pain in my shoulder and arm. Initially, I had a stiff and painful neck, but its travelled down my arm and is not nice. I also have lost power in my right arm (the operated side) - the physios think the muscles have switched off as a result of the radio treatment. To be honest, they are all scratching their heads wondering what to suggest, so I am hoping for some answers this week. It's just a cocktail of painkillers at the moment which I don't like, but I need them to get through the day. 

I've worked thoughout all my treatment but have to say that I found last week to be the most challenging of them all, with the pain and only being able to use one arm!  I am hoping it's just the last push but wondered if anyone had heard of any other lady that has had the same problem? 

I had radio in three places - the mastectomy and axilla site, plus my collarbone. 

Have a lovely Bank Holiday Monday!

Jules xx

My scan went okay, but I have a huge bruise on my arm where they put the canula in. No results yet. I was due to see an oncologist on Friday 5th September for my results, but got a letter on Saturday cancelling that appointment, and it just said they would send me another appointment when they could fit me in. I assume from that that it is low priority as there's nothing to worry about.

I've now lost almost two and a half stone since finishing chemo in April, but still need to lose another stone at least in preparation for my reconstruction surgery next year. It's going very well, and I'm getting a lot of compliments on my new slimmer look.

Going to see my dentist again this coming Friday. Had to stay away for a month after my first extraction as I had acute gum disease, but it should have cleared up by now, so should have my second extraction soon, I hope. Very keen to get my teeth fixed so I can eat normally again. It has been very difficult with so many holes in my teeth all this time.

Got new glasses now. The optician checked my eyes very carefully because of my treatment but they hadn't been damaged, just my eyesight had gotten significantly worse, both in long distance and short distance. I use varifocals and got my new ones last Thursday, so I'm seeing in high definition again! lol

Kander hasn't said if she has had her PET scan yet, but she hasn't had the results. They now think the enlarged lymph nodes under her sternum are probably because of her weak heart, so fingers crossed. I'll update you when she updates us on Facebook.

Everyone else in the Facebook group is getting back to normal now.

Hi everyone

Good luck on returning to work Wyn I hope your colleagues have patience n understanding. I have one more week before I'm in full time - not looking forward to that. I too have decided to look for another job as I feel I need to do something different so good luck with your interview! X

SJB how did your scan go? Any results yet?

I hope everyone has a lovely sunny bank holiday. We're off out for a long walk with the dog. Xx

Hi angels,

Its good to see everyone moving on as the posts are becoming less now which is a good sign, but still nice to keep up with everyone.

Jo- I know what you mean by wanting to say f***k  off to nasty customers but I feel like saying it to most people including family members as well, lol  its not like me but I feel I have definitely lost the patience I once had for everyone and feel they are all trying to get attention of some kind or other ( driving me nuts haha).

I am going to GP tomorrow to be signed off and will be returning to work on a phased return next week,( that will be eventful), I have also been shortlisted for an interview on Friday but not sure how that will pan out lol.

My hair is getting longer now and now got chemo curls.

Take care everyone and as petal said hope you are all enjoying bank holiday.

Wyn x

Hi Angels. Is everyone well? I hope you are enjoying the Bank Holiday whatever the weather where you are.

Hi.

Petal you are spot on. Every one assumes cos you've finished treatment that you're fine, I don't know about you but I'm more emotional now than I was during treatment. Work has been horrible, had a few nasty customers and I ended up in tears, wish I ccould just tell them to f*** off!!! As for energy I manage on red bull. Bought some green tea today. .. it's supposed to be good for ya, oh and it might help me to lose weight seeing as I'm a stone heavier nowadays. X

Nice to hear from you again Jo. Well done on going back to work, it can't be easy. As soon as you feel and look a bit better everyone thinks you are as before but I don't think any of us will be the same physically or mentally. I would just love to be able to go to the chemist and buy a bottle of energy!
Petal x

Hello Wyn. Congratulations all round! What a tonic a new baby in the family will be. I love being a grandmother and I am sure you will too. All the best.

Thanks for asking, my skin is very much better, all pink and new looking and not dark and sore any more. xx

Hi my fellow angels. Haven't been on for sometime but thought it was time to catch up with you all.

Wyn its fantastic to read the news of your new grandchild, congratulations.

It's good to hear everyone is finished treatment and moving on. I went back to work six weeks ago, its been really tough everyone just assumes I'm all better and its business as usual! Been quite emotional at times but slowly improving. Had my hair trimmed last week which was nice.

SJB good luck with your scan results. It won't be long and we'll all be having our first mammograms soon.

I hope everyone stays well and continues to return to some kind of normality.

Jo x

Oh Wyn, that's wonderful news - congratulations!

My scan was easy. I get the results in a couple of weeks, but I know it's nothing to worry about. I haven't felt this healthy in years!

Hi Wyn

That's excellent news - how exciting for you!!!!

I am doing ok after rads and no problem with my skin. I have horrible neck pain though and find it really painful to turn my head. I think this is because I had a lot of rads there and the radiographer said that the pain and stiffness would probably peak around now. Hopefully things will move in the right direction soon!

Hoping to get my hair done in a few weeks!

Best wishes, Jules xx

Hi Ladies,

Jules - hope you are recovering from rads and still moisturising

Petal - Hopefully you have got over your bad patch and skin is getting better

SJB - good luck on your scan today.

I have had my hair cut and coloured and I can now see me (before dx) in the mirror again lol, my eyelashes and eyebrows have also grown in nicely thank goodness.

Went to dentist for check up and everything is fine and finally thought I would share my best news with you all is that we are due our first grandchild on 12th sept ( I am so excited).

Take care everyone

Wyn x

thanks for keeping us updated SJB and I hope your scan results are good.

I can also see the logic in not giving scans to everyone especially with no node involvment, one of the explanations I was given was they did not want to give further radiation if they don't feel its required. however my sister had lymph node involvemnet 19yrs ago and still going strong but I know someone as well as a couple on this forum who had no involvement but then went on to have secondaries so I dont think there is any rhyme or reason to their decisions but only that they make decisions on each individual case.

I wouldn't say anyone diagnosed with breast cancer whether node involment or not is "lucky" and we ALL face an uncertain future, (sorry if this sounds a moan but felt it needed to be said).

Anyway on a positive note lets all enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Wyn X

My heart goes out to Kander, please say the Angels on this site wish her well and are thinking of her. Does she know there is also a thread for HER2 positive folk who are on Herceptin?
I was wondering how everyone is doing. I hit a bad patch last weekend when the radiotherapy must have peaked and I peeled and was sore and tired but now things are improving and I realise I mustn't grumble as others are not so lucky.
I haven't been offered a CT scan even though I had lymph node clearance. It must depend on individual situations or maybe just the preferences of the local consultants. I do have 3-monthly echocardiograms because Herceptin can affect the heart and also at every third jab I have to have pre-chemo again. Perhaps there will be a scan at the end of the injections. Let us know how your scan goes SJB.
Have a nice weekend everyone.